Liberal? Conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2017, 04:10 PM
RE: Liberal? Conservative?
(26-04-2017 04:06 PM)Dr H Wrote:  We could make slander and libel punishable offenses, even when they occur during political campaigns. Then couple that with the stipulation that anyone convicted of such an offence could not hold office.

That would, I think, clear out pretty much the entire government in a hurry. Smile

The rules are obviously different for politicians.

Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2017, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 08:45 PM by treefireguy.)
Liberal? Conservative?
(18-04-2017 08:10 AM)Missiletowe Wrote:  I've always found that to be a curious question.

I mean, I believe in a standing military, the death penalty, gun ownership... So all my liberal friends think I'm a conservative.

I also believe in same sex marriage, abortion rights, legalizing marijuana, single payer healthcare... So all my conservative coworkers think I'm gay.

That is the best thing I have read all week. Thank you. I really needed the chuckle. I feel the same on all those subjects you mentioned. If I had to put a label on my views I would say libertarian I guess. I am also a lifelong devout atheist. I am not a huge fan of "People". I leave others alone and I want to be left the fuck alone too. I live in the woods surrounded by trees and animals on a muddy road. I like having internet and Dish TV though.
26-04-2017, 09:14 PM
(25-04-2017 05:14 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I find hypocritical and ironic that a person who killed for financial gain is going to be killed to save money. I vastly prefer to attempt teaching that killer why what he did was wrong and support the family and firend of the victim in the healing process. It cost a lot, isn't always effectve and requires a lot of effort, but it gives more value to human life and dignity (both that of the killer, his victim and their friends and family). That's just me though. Feel free to disagree.

Yeah, not so interested in the "dignity of life" argument.
I'm not interested in punishment either.

But for some people who are deemed too dangerous ever to release back into society, serial child rapists for example. I go with whichever is the cheapest option, putting to death or locking up. My current issue is why is legal representation so expensive for the kill option? Shouldn't the lifer be getting the same legal representation?
26-04-2017, 09:56 PM
I'm for a standing military.
Most of the generals I see look like they are mostly a seated military.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-04-2017, 10:03 PM
(26-04-2017 03:29 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 10:49 AM)Emma Wrote:  but I'd think having a system in place is better than pure anarchy, right?

Anarchy is a system; it's just a system based on personal responsibility, rather than on the forlorn hope that whatever overlords we appoint will be benevolent.

Are you actually supporting anarchy as a plan? I know myself well enough not to expect everyone to just conduct themselves respectfully, especially in the face of long standing, gross inequities. We should all know ourselves well enough to see the value in standing together to insist on some minimum standard toward others.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
27-04-2017, 05:07 AM
(26-04-2017 10:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 03:29 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Anarchy is a system; it's just a system based on personal responsibility, rather than on the forlorn hope that whatever overlords we appoint will be benevolent.

Are you actually supporting anarchy as a plan? I know myself well enough not to expect everyone to just conduct themselves respectfully, especially in the face of long standing, gross inequities. We should all know ourselves well enough to see the value in standing together to insist on some minimum standard toward others.

Many form of anarchism aren't without a state or even social protection policies. The only problem is that we have almost no clue on how an "anarchist State", if such a term can be employed, would operate in real life. Rojava is the only place in the world where an anarchist (left wing libertarians in their case) is being experimented as we speek.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
28-04-2017, 02:44 PM
(26-04-2017 10:03 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Are you actually supporting anarchy as a plan?
As a plan, no.

As the ideal of a free society, yes.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
18-05-2017, 07:04 AM
I hate the term "conservatism". What is that but a lazy, incorrect way of saying "conservativism"? Is there a conservate party?

It's just wrong.

I also hate when people say normalcy instead of normality, but that's a grouse for another thread.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)