Liberal thinking of younger generation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Liberal thinking of younger generation
It is becoming more apparent that more and more of the under 40's are more liberal in their thinking when it comes to issues of racism, religion and homosexuality. I can't help but wonder if the movement away from organized religion has a bearing on this. I'd be interested in what others have to say.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: Liberal thinking of younger generation
I'm still not sure as to which is cause and effect here.

Indeed it may work both ways...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
11-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I suspect it plays a part. When the church doesn't match your idea of morals (or sanity) its going to drive you away. At least that's what I would think.
11-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Re: Liberal thinking of younger generation
Not sure what you mean by the movement away from organized religion.

I would note, many over 40, baby boomers were more open in ideas of racism/interacial marriages, sexuality, and females working than their generation... And that generation was more open to not making children work harsh jobs or women being able to vote than their patents generation.

Social issues have frequently changed with the upcoming generations pushing for acceptance. I think questioning why older generations don't seem to care about social issues raised by younger generations as much is more relevant.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2014, 01:25 PM
(11-09-2014 01:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think questioning why older generations don't seem to care about social issues raised by younger generations as much is more relevant.

Because they're old, narcissistic, egocentric assholes. That's my experience so far, anyway.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
11-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Re: RE: Liberal thinking of younger generation
(11-09-2014 01:25 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 01:23 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think questioning why older generations don't seem to care about social issues raised by younger generations as much is more relevant.

Because they're old, narcissistic, egocentric assholes. That's my experience so far, anyway.

I don't think most old people are narcissistic and egocentric... There are those people that still care about issues they cared about before, but not others. Only some that weren't that way when young become that way.

For instance, there's plenty of people who were/are civil rights activists I've seen or met that don't care about gay rights being an issue just the same.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-09-2014, 01:38 PM
(11-09-2014 01:33 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 01:25 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Because they're old, narcissistic, egocentric assholes. That's my experience so far, anyway.

I don't think most old people are narcissistic and egocentric... There are those people that still care about issues they cared about before, but not others. Only some that weren't that way when young become that way.

For instance, there's plenty of people who were/are civil rights activists I've seen or met that don't care about gay rights being an issue just the same.

I wasn't talking about "most"; just the ones who don't give a shit about social issues.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post