Liberal vs. conservative way

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Liberal vs. conservative way
Here's a little fact about my country's religious life: it is mostly dominated by the Evangelic-Lutheran Church. What I mean is that Finland's religious life is almost utterly controlled by the EVC, and right now, the Church is suffering from severe inside disputes.

Is everybody have seen from the topic, it is all about the liberal vs. conservative view of the Bible, and how everybody should practice the faith. As you all might have guessed already, it isn't a pretty fight. It all began during some television debate about should gays be allowed to marry or not to. As everybody might guess, it was all about gays vs. the Christian conservatives. When the dust was settled, the outcome was massive wave of divergence from the Church. Mostly, it was because people got the fed with the "Because Bible says that being gay is a sin", and didn't wan't to be part of a organisation that views gays so badly. But, some divorced because they thought that Church had too gay-friendly attitude.

The thing I fear is that Finland's right-side Christian conservatives might abandon the Church - which has kept them in line so far - and start their own religious communities, which might be more nuisance than ever before.

So, it will be interesting to see what will be the outcome of these actions. Especially what the Church does, when both liberals and conservatives are spreading their agenda. I'm little bit afraid also, because this might not mean the raise of atheism, but rather a step to the direction of religious violence, because almost every time when a major religious organisation had a dispute, it has ended in blood. Or at least in major problems among believers and with those who don't believe.

So, we live in a funny times indeed. Do you think that the liberal view of the Bible might cause problems with conservatives in years to come? Because I believe that it will cause trouble, at least in Finland.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: Liberal vs. conservative way
If religion would apply The Scientific Method to its theology, we could all go home early. The debate would be over.
But the religious refuse to do so preferring the KC style of debate where it is just one endless opinion vs another with nothing behind it of substance.
That never ends well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
21-01-2012, 09:33 AM
American Protestants went through "Liberal vs Conservative" debates in a big way in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Versions of the Scientific Method began to be applied to the Bible leading to more liberal understanding of the Bible (like the way KC would view it). By the 1950's the dust had pretty much settled in the mainline denominations and almost all of them split into not only new churches but entirely new denominations either of a conservative or liberal bent. Since then the Conservative churches have continued to fracture into more and more branches, depending upon just how conservative you wanted to get. The liberal denominations began to be more open on issues of race, sexuality and gender. The conservative ones closed ranks and became political to push their agenda upon the US. How that would all play out in Finland if it's the same sort thing? I have no idea.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I might say that the Finnish situation is more like "what Bible verses should we follow and what shouldn't we". So, it's more like a moral question, with lot's of feeling. And with lot's of feeling, people usually fail to see through the facts.

But one thing is in common: we do have this conservative fracture. Here we have many organisations who preach things like in the US conservative circles. And that is exactly what I'm afraid of. We already we enough bad history concerning these circles, and I really wouldn't like to have any more of those.
[+] 1 user Likes LordiDraken's post