Liberterian Religious Identification

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Liberterian Religious Identification
Just got an email from the Liberterian Party - 39% of respondents to their poll asking for religious identification responded as none/agnostic/atheist. Thought it was interesting. I switched from Republican to Liberterian/Independent sometime in my mid twenties when I was in the middle of deconverting. I knew the Republican Party certainly didn't line up with my views, and I was taught that Democrats were evil commies that wanted to rape the middle class and give all their money to the poor that don't work. Drinking Beverage

Here's the link to the poll results:

http://www.lp.org/poll/i-consider-myself...y-religion

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: Liberterian Religious Identification
I used to be a firm libertarian. I'm still registered as such, but identify with the neolib movement, as the original principles are a bit out of touch now in some cases.
24-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Help me out here. I fail to see the difference between libertarians and anarchists. Is it just a matter of degree like the difference between atheists and anti-theists?

#sigh
24-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Libertarians believe that there is a limited role for government. Anarchists deny even that much.
24-07-2015, 04:21 PM
(24-07-2015 04:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Libertarians believe that there is a limited role for government. Anarchists deny even that much.

Do they have a consistent position defining the limits of the role of government?

#sigh
24-07-2015, 04:31 PM
(24-07-2015 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 04:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Libertarians believe that there is a limited role for government. Anarchists deny even that much.

Do they have a consistent position defining the limits of the role of government?

That is the rub.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-07-2015, 04:51 PM
(24-07-2015 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

No, like other parties, have differing views on where that line lies.
24-07-2015, 09:45 PM
(24-07-2015 04:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Help me out here. I fail to see the difference between libertarians and anarchists. Is it just a matter of degree like the difference between atheists and anti-theists?

Voting.

Though like others have said, it's about "limited" government actions. Though some prominent libertarian supporters are pretty close to the level of anarchists like Penn Jillette. Of course various libertarian people pick their own agendas themselves of how and where government action should be and it's highly arbitrary.

I don't like the majority of the libertarian party position in various degrees because it is still quite conservative in many regards.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-07-2015, 10:20 PM
(24-07-2015 03:54 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Just got an email from the Liberterian Party - 39% of respondents to their poll asking for religious identification responded as none/agnostic/atheist. Thought it was interesting. I switched from Republican to Liberterian/Independent sometime in my mid twenties when I was in the middle of deconverting. I knew the Republican Party certainly didn't line up with my views, and I was taught that Democrats were evil commies that wanted to rape the middle class and give all their money to the poor that don't work. Drinking Beverage

Here's the link to the poll results:

http://www.lp.org/poll/i-consider-myself...y-religion

Libertarian is still a faction or wing of the GOP that is often in conflict with the religious conservatives in the party. But pretty much since Reagan, the social conservatives have sidelined any libertarian leaning GOPers. It would make sense for disaffected nonbelievers in the GOP ranks to lean libertarian--that's probably why there is a disproportionate number of non-believing libertarians.

Nonbelievers tend to be more welcome in the Democratic party, but the Dems are rather intolerant of differing economic positions in the way the Republicans have been intolerant of differing social policy positions. So right leaning atheists pretty much lean libertarian on party affiliation.

The problem with the Libertarian party, though, is that as a minor 3rd party in the US, the official party is prone to crackpots in its ranks even more than the Dems or Repubs. So the official party can have members that go from a greenly moderate limitation of government policies on social and economic areas to limiting the federal government only to national defense, printing money, foreign affairs, issuing patents, and running the postal service.
24-07-2015, 10:44 PM
I took one of those political affiliation tests, and it told me I align like 95% with the green party, and something like 20% with the republican party. Interesting. Consider

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?