Liberty University

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 04:58 PM
RE: Liberty University
I'm familiar. I went to high school in Richmond, and some of the kids I knew went to Liberty. It seemed to make them into pod people, but not as poddy as the ones who went to Bob Jones U. Lots of kids who went to my church went to Bob Jones.

Is moving to a different area an option for you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Ah Liberty; I considered applying for a job there, but then realized I could never teach there given the people on staff and the climate. I once dated a girl who went to the nearby Sweet Briar College, which she told me Liberty's students often called "The Whores on the Hill", her ex from Liberty apparently beat her for not being "submissive". Really pissed me off to hear about that.

Sorry to hear you feel alone there. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-04-2016, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 12:52 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Lynchburg?

Really? Fucking really?

If you name your city after extralegal execution mobs, you're not allowed to name anything ever again. Your naming privileges are revoked.

"Every faction in Africa calls themselves by these noble names - Liberation this, Patriotic that, Democratic Republic of something-or-other... I guess they can't own up to what they usually are: the Federation of Worse Oppressors Than the Last Bunch of Oppressors. Often, the most barbaric atrocities occur when both combatants proclaim themselves Freedom Fighters. " - Yuri Orlov (Nicholas Cage), Lord of War

This quote comes to mind every time I see 'freedom' or 'liberty' attached to some far-right neoconservative hate group masquerading as a non-profit, a political action committee, or an institute of higher learning. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-04-2016, 07:00 AM
(14-04-2016 10:47 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Lynchburg?

Really? Fucking really?

If you name your city after extralegal execution mobs, you're not allowed to name anything ever again. Your naming privileges are revoked.

"Every faction in Africa calls themselves by these noble names - Liberation this, Patriotic that, Democratic Republic of something-or-other... I guess they can't own up to what they usually are: the Federation of Worse Oppressors Than the Last Bunch of Oppressors. Often, the most barbaric atrocities occur when both combatants proclaim themselves Freedom Fighters. " - Yuri Orlov (Nicholas Cage), Lord of War

This quote comes to mind every time I see 'freedom' or 'liberty' attached to some far-right neoconservative hate group masquerading as a non-profit, a political action committee, or an institute of higher learning. Dodgy

EK, before you get too pissed, it was named after a man whose last name was Lynch. It had no racist origins.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
15-04-2016, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2016 09:06 AM by Shai Hulud.)
(15-04-2016 07:00 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  EK, before you get too pissed, it was named after a man whose last name was Lynch. It had no racist origins.
Which, I believe was because he ran a ferry service there where the town grew up around it? Or something like that.

Though to be fair, the act of lynching is named after a citizen in the same state, named Lynch. So it's an easy thing to extrapolate based on the name.

(Also, since this is a topic started by a Liberty student who feels outcast as a nonbeliever, I'd like to recommend a book by Kevin Roose, called The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University. It's about Roose, a liberal non-practicing Quaker's time at Liberty, the people he met, and just how non-uptight it can be if you find the right folks. Truly an interesting read as a former Baptist, and from what others tell me, people of different faith backgrounds as well. It also hits interesting tidbits, like some of Philadelphia's largest gay nightclubs are owned by a Liberty grad.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2016, 09:10 AM
The 1939 WPA Guide to Tennessee asserts that the city was named after an early resident named Tom Lynch; (or a William Lynch?)

However, a more recently credited claim is made in the Spring 1972 issue of the Tennessee Historical Quarterly, which states the city was named after a Judge Charles Lynch, who presided over a vigilante committee that met in the city sometime after the War of 1812.

In his 2003 book The Many Faces of Judge Lynch; Extralegal Violence and Punishment in America, Christopher Waldrep traced the use and meaning of the word lynching from the colonial period to the present. He explained how lynching as a form of extralegal punishment sanctioned by the community did not alter over time but that the meaning of the word changed drastically as Americans dealt with race relations.

—Looks like one of those naming issues lost in the sands of time?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-04-2016, 09:54 AM
From Liberty University's current prospectus:

Liberty University has been training Champions for Christ since 1971, producing graduates with the values, knowledge, and skills required to impact the world. The secret to its success lies in a solid commitment to biblical truth...

Liberty has built a world-class university that offers excellent academics, NCAA Division I athletics, an exciting social atmosphere, and an environment that encourages spiritual growth...

Liberty's 6,800-acre campus is undergoing an extensive $400 million dollar rebuilding, including the construction of the Jerry Falwell Library, the first building to bear the name of the university's founder, Dr. Jerry Falwell...

Also included in the expansion is a cathedral-style prayer chapel...

The Liberty campus also houses the Creation Hall Museum (students can get a firsthand look at fossils and "some of the evidences for Biblical Creation"), the Jerry Falwell Museum (a "look into the life" of Jerry Falwell), and the Liberty Biblical Museum (a unique collection of authentic, biblical-era artifacts which gives students access to a realistic touchpoint with the "facts" of the biblical faith).

I was also somewhat bemused to read some of the following nonsense in Liberty's student newspaper:

Every American student faces the reality that sacrifices must be made in order to maintain a good, or even passing, grade in college. For many Christian students, the first sacrifices to be made are usually regular church attendance, alone time with God or time spent at Bible study... skipping one Sunday, after all, is not that bad. However, as the skips continue to pile up, the God who loves and created each and every stressed-out college student is soon replaced by the very vengeful god of education... according to The Gospel Coalition, the idol of education is subtle yet dangerous to students... when education becomes the most important thing in Christians' lives, it becomes a dangerous idol... college students often slip into the sin of putting their grades above God.

—Oh! The shock! The horror! How will those poor students survive without an absolute belief in a supernatural entity?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.