Lies Told To You About the 'Real World'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Lies Told To You About the 'Real World'
Just a random thought popped in my head. Whatever you've heard about this whole 'real world' idea.

My experience was that I was told college was the 'real world' and that they said professors in college wouldn't give a shit about you and you couldn't show up late or relax a bit in college.

Bullshit faced lie. I have a good GPA average and can still relax or miss a few days.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
13-03-2017, 08:50 PM
RE: Lies Told To You About the 'Real World'
The "real world" is either the one you pay for, or the one signing your paycheck.

All the rest of it's bullshit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-03-2017, 08:56 PM
"Jobs are supposed to make you miserable" (My dad showing the Calvinist roots of his baptist religion)

Edit^ He would follow up with "If it were supposed to be enjoyable it would be called PLAY"

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
13-03-2017, 09:08 PM
"If you work hard you can achieve anything."

While true to a great degree there is that little nagging point that my coworkers get paid more than me (because they've been there for like 15 years and so are on a higher wage) but I work 10 fold harder than they ever do. Promotions aren't given to the worthy they've given to those with the most shit on their nose. You gotta put yourself in a position where your hard work works for you, that's when you'll see reward proportionate to the amount of effort put in. You'll never see that proportionate reward to effort when you rely on other people because people are people and people are cunts.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-03-2017, 09:12 PM
(13-03-2017 08:56 PM)JesseB Wrote:  "Jobs are supposed to make you miserable" (My dad showing the Calvinist roots of his baptist religion)

Edit^ He would follow up with "If it were supposed to be enjoyable it would be called PLAY"

This has always been a problem for professional working musicians. That word, play.

I've had some hard jobs. Being on tour for extended periods is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had.

It sounds to me like your dad never had a dream to pursue. What a miserable way to go through life.

“Follow your bliss.
If you do follow your bliss,
you put yourself on a kind of track
that has been there all the while waiting for you,
and the life you ought to be living
is the one you are living.
When you can see that,
you begin to meet people
who are in the field of your bliss,
and they open the doors to you.
I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid,
and doors will open
where you didn't know they were going to be.
If you follow your bliss,
doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else.”

― Joseph Campbell

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
13-03-2017, 09:21 PM
That's touching.

The biggest lie I hear being told to young people is that at work deadlines are really serious. In fact, deadlines rarely mean shit.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
13-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Be nice to others and they will be nice to you.
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
13-03-2017, 09:36 PM
(13-03-2017 09:33 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Be nice to others and they will be nice to you.

Good one. Same as you gotta give respect to get respect. Total bullshit.
14-03-2017, 02:51 AM
(13-03-2017 09:21 PM)ImFred Wrote:  That's touching.

The biggest lie I hear being told to young people is that at work deadlines are really serious. In fact, deadlines rarely mean shit.

OMG yes. People freak the fuck out over shit not getting done today when it can just be done tomorrow. It makes zero fucking difference if I get a bunch of stock out today versus tomorrow when said stock is already full as fuck or even half full. We don't need to get this stock done, it can go back and be done tomorrow. And heaven forbid we end the week with a couple pallets extra that haven't been done and the weekend team have to work some fucking stock... HEAVEN FUCKING FORBID! And lets not even get started on how day shift do literally fucking zero. Fucking ZERO. Cunts need to get their priorities in life sorted the fuck out.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-03-2017, 06:12 AM
(13-03-2017 09:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This has always been a problem for professional working musicians. That word, play.

I've had some hard jobs. Being on tour for extended periods is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had.

Banjo - as usual - is spot-on.

I, too, spent some time in the music business in my younger years. During tours, I was never so tired or stressed out in my life. Sure, the 96 minutes onstage was (usually, not always) fun, but the other 22+ hours per day was a major grind.

But to the point...

The "real world" is a phrase often used by bitter old men and women when they're under the sense that someone else is actually enjoying themselves.

Fact is, the real world is what you make it. Not in a mystical sense, but in the sense of how you perceive and react to the events around you.

If you see the world as miserable, you'll probably be miserable. If you see the world as full of wonder and delight, you're more likely to be a happier person.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post