Lies Told To You About the 'Real World'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 07:46 AM
RE: Lies Told To You About the 'Real World'
Here's a fun one: Syncopation is the Devil's rhythm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2017, 08:44 AM
(13-03-2017 08:45 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Just a random thought popped in my head. Whatever you've heard about this whole 'real world' idea.

I took Ancient Greek for one semester at Indiana University before I decided to leave school, get technical training, and go to work. My Greek professor tried to convince me to stay in school to "avoid the real world" (his words) for as long as possible.

After working for almost forty years at three different large corporations, I now think the academic community was (and is) more interested in the truths of the real world than corporate America.

Sometimes you live and learn, sometimes you just live. Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
15-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Ooh!

"You'll never have a calculator with you later in life." -My cell phone disagrees.

"Those evil liberal atheist college professors will try to tempt you from your faith." -My first adjunct ran sermon ideas off of us. I worked for a Mormon bishop as a graduate student at one point. My mentor in grad school was heavily involved in his synagogue, my other mentor in grad school ran the Mormon prison chaplaincy for several prisons in that part of Pennsylvania. The only time I encountered Creationism in an academic setting was in a college classroom where the adjunct had a book that "taught the controversy" and she ignored evolution's existence. I can't talk with my Baptist coworker without hearing how her faith informs all the stuff she does with the community.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2017, 05:01 PM
"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

Darryl F. Zanuck, Executive Producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
15-03-2017, 05:06 PM
The real world is mostly mundane, ordinary stuff.

What to cook for dinner. Gotta pay the credit card. My car engine light is on, telling me I gotta check my tires. My cat has such beautiful fur. Man, I sure hope that yoga teacher is just a substitute because she's an idiot. Gotta get this project done for my client. Wonder what's going on on the Thinking Atheist. Christ, that idiot Borg is sooo damn stupid.

Yeah, this is mostly what life is about. It's interspersed with some real exciting, fun stuff once in awhile, and sometimes tragedy here and there, but mostly it's about laundry and looking for the car keys.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-03-2017, 05:31 PM
(15-03-2017 05:01 PM)SYZ Wrote:  "Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

Darryl F. Zanuck, Executive Producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Most fundamental lie about the real world: my mother told me, "mean well and do your best and everything will work out."

She didn't technically lie because she believed this herself. Let's just say it's the most harmful bit of misinformation my formative brain received.
17-03-2017, 12:03 PM
One lie that my mother repeated ad infinitum:

Just ignore bullies, they'll eventually go away.

Alas, nothing could be further from the truth. It's only when I stood up to a bully - and knocked out a couple of his teeth - did the bullies finally leave me alone.

Non-reaction is compliance and acceptance. Fight back and respect is earned.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
17-03-2017, 12:06 PM
This won't hurt.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post