Life After Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Life After Theists
Based on the series Life After People. Let's say that every single theist(not just Christians) disappeared into thin air. Every last one, world wide. How do you think our society would handle having such a huge chunk missing? Would humanity scatter and fall back into the dark ages without enough people to maintain our civilized world? Or would we be able to rebuild our modern world fairly quickly and start a new world, one that is purely secular?

I'm not sure how America or Canada would deal with 85% of the population gone, but other countries with a much higher atheist population might be able to stay on their feet. And for those remaining in countries that wouldn't have enough of a population would probably band together rather than start killing themselves(for the most part anyway, we are social creatures). And hopefully somehow be able to communicate with the remaining governments to find refuge there(they would be in need of extra people to fill empty spots anyway). With pesky religious dictatorships/extremist groups gone, that would be a load off of many countries. I don't think that a society that is 100% atheist would be perfect, but I do believe that many problems would be gone and progress could be made much faster. But I'm not sure about this, so I want to hear your thoughts.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ashley.hunt60's post
07-05-2011, 11:02 PM
RE: Life After Theists
Well it all depends. For one thing religious violence and bigotry would begone in one single heartbeat. That would definitely be a push forward.
The fall into the dark ages gave the church a huge amount of potential so we may see a resurgence in religion. Desperate people may do anything to feel at ease.
Still , if Japan is a model of secular society , and given how well they handled a huge catastrophe without people panicking and resorting to looting and violence we'll be in the clear.
Also , if you consider Buddhists as atheists , we'd have a great number of people left behind to help us.(500 million - 1.5 billion)
I'm optimist enough to think a society based on reason would recognize the potential of a fresh start and try to avoid superstition taking over and make provisions to prevent the mistakes of the past.
So yeah it would be an improvement to some degree, but the problem remains , if some people wish to turn to faith out of emotional hardship , we still have to leave them to their own ideas , do we not ? I mean we all know as atheists what it means to be treated like crap for our beliefs or better yet , lack thereof.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-05-2011, 10:02 PM
That is a tough one to get my mind around. We wouldn't have enough people to run the infra-structrure of our society. This means that the huge power grids would collapse, most cities would become largely uninhabitable because there isn't enough cultivatable land for sustaining anything other than a very small population within these cities. All major governments wold collapse and be replaced with much smaller regional or township governments. Travel would be curtailled to a large extent because of distribution of fuels, manufacturing of vehicles, collapse of airlines, road and rail systems, etc. That being said, the survivors would definitely build a society out of what they had and go from there. With the power grids down they would find alternitive energy sources. The problem may be that the population may be to small to be able to maintain technologically advanced forms of green energy such as solar collectors.

Man, that is a tough question to be able to take all variables into account and come up with a probable answer.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
08-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I imagine it'd be a lot easier to travel by air.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bezo's post
09-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I think places like Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia would suddenly be almost completely empty.. funny to imagine that.

Be even funnier if the pope got left behind. He'd be exposed as a fraud! lol
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
10-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh please FSM make it happen.
12-05-2011, 09:33 PM
An interesting supposition. I think it's a great idea for a book. You could probably sucker the believers in to reading it, if marketed right. I agree that biggest short term problem would be maintaining the infrastructure. It would not be good to have a bunch of Chernobylesque events occurring simutaneously. I suspect there would be a distribution of skillsets that is representative of the current population, so there would be people skilled in power generation/distribution, medicine, telecommunications, construction, etc. to train the unskilled. Plus many people have life experience in several areas. i'm a good example: commecial construction (9 yrs), nuclear submarines (20 yrs) electronics manufacturing (3 yrs). I think overall the world would be a better place. I wonder how many people would be left locked up in jails and prisons? All that prime real estate being used for churches would be available, not to mention the riches stolen from the masses (yea I'm talking to you, catholicism). I'll think on this some more and post any other things that come to mind. Have a good one.

Free at Last, Free at Last,
Great Me Almighty
I'm Free at Last!
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I've heard that the power plants can run for a little bit on their own, so I don't think power would be an immediate problem for the US. Our leftover population might have to consolidate though, agree to move someplace where we were more centralized and set up a cooperative so that food was looked after, as well as water, power, etc.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Even funnier would be if all the skeptics got sent up to heaven, and there we would meet the likes of Hume, Darwin, Sagan and more. Irony.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
13-05-2011, 12:54 AM
I believe that it would be in the best interest every for everyone left if those who could would help shut down unneeded reactors, then assist in the relocation of everyone to lager metropolitan ares, where the few left that can run reactors could do so. There would be a huge need for agriculture experts, since most farmers are very religious. That would be an immediate need to be covered. In one word, FOOD. I am sure that we would be able to pull that one off, with no major problem since there would be enough canned food to last for a very long time with 85% of the population gone. Fresh milk would have to be covered quickly though....
As above mentioned, I too believe that the overall reaction to such an event would be handled logically, since logic is the home field advantage to those of us left. I don't foresee a lot of violence or looting as a major problem, especially considering that it would be hard to "loot" if the former owners are gone forever. How do you steal something that is no longer owned?
I would not be surprised to see the vatican still populated, since I don't think they actually believe all the 'doo doo' that they are shoveling. It seems that they can "modify" their god and his wishes any time it becomes necessary, as has occurred several times in history. I also would not be a bit surprised to see them try to convert US to their stupidity, but they would no longer have the power of numbers to do anything.
I believe that what we would have left would be Gene Roddenberry's dream come true. A world of science, without the friction and set backs caused by the intolerance of uneducated religious influence.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
[+] 1 user Likes blasphemy fan's post