Life, Heaven & Hell metaphors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Life, Heaven & Hell metaphors
Several years ago my friends and I were driving to a friend's house who lives an hour away for a holiday get together. We were driving separately in three different vehicles.

It was winter and the roads weren't that good, but we still made the trek.

As we're driving, I was in the lead, less than 10 seconds ahead of one and maybe 15 seconds ahead of the last one.

Unknown to me as we are driving, cars and semi trucks behind me are sliding on the ice creating a 50 car pile up.

My friend behind me is driving a bigger 4 x4 SUV and drives into the median as everyone is crashing around him. He is able to avoid all the crashing cars and continue on down the highway, shaken but still in control.

The friend behind him isn't so lucky. He is at the tail end of the pile up, comes to stop, but isn't hit by any cars or trucks.

What does happen to him is that a car in the crash has caught fire and the woman inside can't get out. He moved to try to help, but it was burning too fast. He watched as another human being burned to death before his eyes.

Horrific I know, but each of our situations reminded me of metaphors for a blissful ignorant heaven, obstacles of life and a fiery hell.

Have any of you had similar situations that reminded you of something religious ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Life, Heaven & Hell metaphors
Yes, I suppose.

We like tidy answers to coincidence. We have, I've been told, evolved to see patterns in what is likely randomness.

I've nothing else.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Someone in our neighborhood has this manger scene in their front yard:

[Image: 735c310396547a3f3773709b54e31df64bc48401...411c_1.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
22-12-2016, 05:43 PM
(22-12-2016 04:08 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Someone in our neighborhood has this manger scene in their front yard:

Wait, t-rexes? Those silhouettes don't look like they have a single feather anywhere on them.

CLEARLY that is Sif catching the poisonous acid dripping from overhead to keep it out of Loki's eyes. ... I don't know who the other person is, though.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
22-12-2016, 05:58 PM
(22-12-2016 05:43 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 04:08 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Someone in our neighborhood has this manger scene in their front yard:

Wait, t-rexes? Those silhouettes don't look like they have a single feather anywhere on them.

CLEARLY that is Sif catching the poisonous acid dripping from overhead to keep it out of Loki's eyes. ... I don't know who the other person is, though.

Nonsense!!! It's clearly 2 t-rexes stuck in the mud while a massive space rock approaches.
[+] 2 users Like xieulong's post
22-12-2016, 09:04 PM
(22-12-2016 05:58 PM)xieulong Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 05:43 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Wait, t-rexes? Those silhouettes don't look like they have a single feather anywhere on them.

Nonsense!!! It's clearly 2 t-rexes stuck in the mud while a massive space rock approaches.

Okay, normally I don't yield the argument to someone who's so clearly wrong as you, but mud-wrestling T-rexes trump facts through sheer awesomeness.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
23-12-2016, 01:06 AM
(22-12-2016 09:04 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 05:58 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Nonsense!!! It's clearly 2 t-rexes stuck in the mud while a massive space rock approaches.

Okay, normally I don't yield the argument to someone who's so clearly wrong as you, but mud-wrestling T-rexes trump facts through sheer awesomeness.

Damn straight!!