Do not fuck with the coders. Big Grin

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Life as ancestor simulation.
Meh.

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
10-10-2014, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 10:03 PM by Smercury44.)
Thinking about stuff like this equally terrifies me, and delights me. Am I just a simulation? If so, so what? I still have feelings and emotions. I'm going to just play things out as if I'm real, cause as far as I'm concerned, I am. After all, "I think, Therefor I am."

Does make me wonder about what human rights we should give simulated consciousnesses Consider is it morally ethical to create simulations in which we know the participants will not be aware that they are simulations, but will surely face horrible things. Such as the plague simulation mentioned in the article. Lots to ponder Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Which begs the question Girly, which pill would you take if it came down to it? Would you follow the rabbit?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-10-2014, 10:19 PM
(10-10-2014 10:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Which begs the question Girly, which pill would you take if it came down to it? Would you follow the rabbit?

Follow the rabbit? I am the fucking rabbit.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-10-2014, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 10:37 PM by evenheathen.)
(10-10-2014 10:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 10:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Which begs the question Girly, which pill would you take if it came down to it? Would you follow the rabbit?

Follow the rabbit? I am the fucking rabbit.

Sure you are.

But really, since you brought it up, if the situation actually occurred that an absolute truth of that knowledge could be known, albeit by most serious danger, would you accept the offer?

Not just you, I'm interested to hear the forum's response. What say ye, people of the madhouse?

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Aw come on guys, no one wants to get philosophical with me? Had a lovely discussion about this with my husband. Want to know what you guys think too.

Is it morally ethical to create these simulations that are indistinguishable from "reality" in the eyes of the simulations? Especially if we are knowingly submitting them to a plague simulation.

I mean, we don't submit people to the plague now just to see how it plays out. What's the difference when creating a simulation?

What makes us "real" and not the simulations if they are indistinguishable? If the people that we create in these simulations have wants, fears, hopes, emotions identical to ours?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
10-10-2014, 10:52 PM
(10-10-2014 10:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But really, since you brought it up, if the situation actually occurred that an absolute truth of that knowledge could be known, albeit by most serious danger, would you accept the offer?

Accept it? Hell it's been this coder's gut instinct for going on close to 4 decades now. Gut instinct is not always "right" but it's never been "wrong". Big Grin

#sigh
10-10-2014, 10:55 PM
(10-10-2014 10:49 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I mean, we don't submit people to the plague now just to see how it plays out.

I think that's actually been done, sad to say. Hooray for humanity.

But if it's simulation, who is to say what is being felt by whom? (is that grammatically correct? That one always confused me)

~ Umberto Eco
10-10-2014, 10:57 PM
(10-10-2014 10:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 10:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But really, since you brought it up, if the situation actually occurred that an absolute truth of that knowledge could be known, albeit by most serious danger, would you accept the offer?

Accept it? Hell it's been this coder's gut instinct for going on close to 4 decades now. Gut instinct is not always "right" but it's never been "wrong". Big Grin

So you're saying that you suspect a higher order?

~ Umberto Eco