Life begins two weeks BEFORE conception? WTF?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Life begins two weeks BEFORE conception? WTF?
Arizona Governor Signs Bill
Banning Abortion After 18 Weeks,
Defines Pregnancy As Beginning
Two Weeks Before Conception

[Image: images8.jpeg]

Earlier this month, the Republican dominated Arizona legislature pushed through the toughest anti-women and anti-abortion bill in the nation. On Thursday, Republican Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed that bill into law.

The bill, known as HB 2036, effectively bans abortion after 18 weeks while at the same time declaring that pregnancy begins two whole weeks before actual conception. Just so we’re clear, Arizona Republicans are claiming that pregnancy begins two weeks BEFORE a woman has sex. It does this because according to the Guttmacher Institute’s Elizabeth Nash, Republicans “are trying move the gestational cutoff from what had been over the last two years a 20-week gestational cutoff to an 18-week gestational cutoff. At the same time, they are trying to say, ‘Oh, this is a 20-week abortion ban.’ And they get away with that with the definition of gestational age that’s in the bill.”

But that’s not all that’s in this bill. The bill will also force pregnant women to undergo transvaginal ultrasounds if they want an abortion. In other words, Arizona Republicans just legalized state sanctioned rape. The law also allows abortions in cases of medical emergency but seems to have failed to include an exemption for women who are raped.

This is yet another shot fired in the Republican war on women. The Republican Party wants us all to believe that the war on women is a fictitious claim by Democrats or that the war on women is actually being waged by President Obama. But last time I checked, President Obama nor Democrats have passed or attempted to pass anti-women legislation like Republican legislatures in states such as Arizona, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Texas, Virginia, and Alabama have.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/04/13/...onception/

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: Life begins two weeks BEFORE conception? WTF?
Blink that's a fucked up law Angry

So is it murder if she's just not feeling like it the night that two week old little Matty was due to be conceived?
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I heard about this a while ago--but it does make me wonder (in a "somewhat serious" way): if life exists before conception, is non-conception (menstruation) murder?
14-04-2012, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 11:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Define "conception":
a. sperm approaches egg ?
b. 1st electron of sperm cell enters electron cloud of egg cell ?
c. sperm contacts egg wall ?
d. sperm 1/2 way into egg ?
e. sperm entirely in egg ?
f. DNA of sperm contacts DNA of egg ?
g. DNA replication begins ?
h. DNA replication 0.567534521897 % complete ?
i. 1st DNA replication complete, (poof..soul enters) ?
j. 2nd DNA completes ?
k. zygote forms ?
l. zygote multiplies ?
m. zygote begins to travel ?
l. zygote approaches endometrial wall ?
m. zygote touches endometrial wall ?
n. zygote implants in endometrial wall ?

Take yer pick.Einstein

Actually, this bill attempts to take two more weeks off the possible window for AB, (20 weeks to 18 weeks), by using the commonly used Gestational Age calculation in Obstetrics, counting the gestational age from the first day of the last known menstrual cycle, even when an OB Ultrasound has been done, and has determined the gestational age more accurately. This could date the pregnancy two weeks earlier, than the real conception process. As I implied above, there is no "moment" of conception. So it's not as weird as it sounds, BUT ...

This bill attempts to take the focus off why it is really bad for women.

1. It places a restriction on a woman’s right to have an abortion, taking the decision away from a woman and her doctor and putting it into the hands of complete strangers in government.

2. It’s based on bad science. Twenty weeks is offered as the time at which a fetus begins to feel pain, and that’s NOT TRUE. Neurological wiring simply hasn't developed at that point. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists says there is no evidence that a fetus feels pain.

3. It violates Roe v. Wade, which protects a woman’s right to choose up to the point of fetal viability.

4. It requires an ultrasound, and while it doesn’t specify whether that ultrasound be transabdominal or transvaginal, it takes that decision away from the medical professional who’s actually standing in the room with the woman.

5. It requires a 24-hour waiting period (except in case of emergency endangering a woman’s life or threatening “irreversible impairment of a major bodily function”).

6. Twenty weeks into a pregnancy is also 20 weeks left in the pregnancy. A woman who has to delay needed medical treatment–for instance, chemotherapy–for those five months could end up severely ill or dead.

7. 20 weeks is pretty much the minimum for being able to diagnose many fetal abnormalities, leaving a woman frantic to find services in Arizona or forced to leave the state for an abortion.

8. The factors taken into account during the drafting of this bill, listed as “findings and purposes” under Section 9, include the risk of psychological complications after abortion. The American Psychological Association has established that this is pretty much not the case, and that most psychological complications post-abortion are more related to pre-abortion mental health than they are to the abortion itself. Doctors also are instructed to offer patients information about putting a baby up for adoption, but are not instructed to offer information about the mental health risks of doing that.

9. Those findings also note the higher medical risk of abortion as pregnancy progresses, up to one death per 11,000 abortions after 21 weeks. They omit the fact that the maternal mortality rate in the U.S. is 24 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births, or 2.64 per 11,000.

10. The bill places a restriction on a woman’s right to have an abortion, taking the decision away from a woman and her doctor and putting it into the hands of complete strangers in government.

HB 2036 is infuriating enough with all the facts straight. HB 2036 isn’t bad because it makes a woman pregnant before she’s pregnant–it’s bad because of everything else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Wow, just think of all the murders I have committed in my life time! Every day I didn't have sex I murdered a two week old embryo..

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
14-04-2012, 04:04 PM
(14-04-2012 03:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Wow, just think of all the murders I have committed in my life time! Every day I didn't have sex I murdered a two week old embryo..
some tool will turn that into an excuse that a woman can't refuse sex...
14-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I personally am not a supporter of abortion. However, to say that a child is in existance before one even participates in the act that would form a child....that is just...well in a word baloney. It really makes a mockery out of women that have a sound and rational mind that any one of us would even state this....

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
[+] 2 users Like AnotherSinner's post
14-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Agreed, ruins the flavour completely Wink
14-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Oh FFS...what a crock.

How the hell can something happen two weeks before it happens?

I wouldn't, and in fact didn't, choose abortion back in the day. But I have known people that have made that very serious and painful decision. If it's the best decision for a woman, she should have access to the safest medical procedure possible.

How many times do we have to put up with people trying to undo or drastically alter Roe v Wade?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-04-2012, 04:37 PM
(14-04-2012 04:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How the hell can something happen two weeks before it happens?
Quantum abortodynamics theory is born... scuse the pun Tongue
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post