Life choices.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Life choices.
Okay serious time.

I am conflicted. I really do not know what to do.

I'm thinking, maybe it's a stupid idea to finish my last year of university.
Well, not a stupid idea, but perhaps it's better just to do what I'm gonna do after university next year rather then 2014.
Because I'm just so fucking bored of schooling. I've done it for 15 and a half years, I'm well and truly over it. Yes I know some of you have gone for much longer that's cool, that's you, but school is just not me.
I want new challenges, I want a project, something big, I want to be earning money!

So I've been thinking (literally staring at the wall thinking, I do that sometimes I weird like that) that I really don't want to finish my last year of university and if I do do it I'm just gonna have another repeat of this year where I'm just bored out of my mind going craycray.
But on the other hand it will mean I essential wasted 2 years (though I'll probably think after I get my degree it would have been 3years wasted) for nothing. Plus more importantly it'd mean not finishing something I started. Oh and my mom and dad would flip shit but fuck em'.

Oh I dunno. I don't really know where my life is going. I know what I want in that I want to own my business and I want to grow it into something substantial, but apart from that I don't know. I don't even know what sort of business I want.
All that seems to go through my head is "do what you want to do and fuck the rest".

It just sucks, everyone around me is so absolutely sure of themselves. They have a clear cut path, they want the 9-5, they want to get married and have their 1 and a quarter kids, have some 60K a year job or whatever and go through life like every other person on the planet. And then I see myself I have such high dreams, I don't want to get married, I sure as fuck don't want kids and I don't want to stay in my shitty little town.

Classic cliche case of young fellow trying to find his way in the world I guess.

Anyway, thoughts of giving up university to start my business that I so often talk about?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
RE: Life choices.
Well, I hate uni, so don't listen to me. Tongue

I will, however, help you with your business. Big Grin Start a publishing business and publish my manga please...

I totally see what you mean though. Having a 9-5 bullshit lifestyle just doesn't seem appealing to me. I don't care if I'm rich or poor, I just don't want a mundane life.

[Image: opforum1.png]
01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
(01-09-2012 08:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Okay serious time.

Well, not a stupid idea, but perhaps it's better just to do what I'm gonna do after university next year rather then 2014.
Because I'm just so fucking bored of schooling. I've done it for 15 and a half years, I'm well and truly over it. Yes I know some of you have gone for much longer that's cool, that's you, but school is just not me.
I want new challenges, I want a project, something big, I want to be earning money!

So I've been thinking (literally staring at the wall thinking, I do that sometimes I weird like that) that I really don't want to finish my last year of university and if I do do it I'm just gonna have another repeat of this year where I'm just bored out of my mind going craycray.
But on the other hand it will mean I essential wasted 2 years (though I'll probably think after I get my degree it would have been 3years wasted) for nothing. Plus more importantly it'd mean not finishing something I started. Oh and my mom and dad would flip shit but fuck em'.

Oh I dunno. I don't really know where my life is going. I know what I want in that I want to own my business and I want to grow it into something substantial, but apart from that I don't know. I don't even know what sort of business I want.
All that seems to go through my head is "do what you want to do and fuck the rest".

It just sucks, everyone around me is so absolutely sure of themselves. They have a clear cut path, they want the 9-5, they want to get married and have their 1 and a quarter kids, have some 60K a year job or whatever and go through life like every other person on the planet. And then I see myself I have such high dreams, I don't want to get married, I sure as fuck don't want kids and I don't want to stay in my shitty little town.

Classic cliche case of young fellow trying to find his way in the world I guess.

Anyway, thoughts of giving up university to start my business that I so often talk about?

What business ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

01-09-2012, 08:35 AM

I'd urge you to finish. A degree will not necessarily get you a job, but the lack of one will take you out of the running for many jobs; they won't even interview you.

Find ways to make your schooling more interesting. My last year at university, I had a seminar course with a philosophy professor - just me and the professor. Each week I had to complete a chapter of mathematical logic and do all the problems. We would meet and discuss that and connected topics. It was hard work, very exciting, and made everything else more interesting because I learned to be completely exposed intellectually.

I also did tutoring for local high school students in maths; yet another activity that took me outside of myself and helped make me independent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
(01-09-2012 08:31 AM)frankiej Wrote:  Well, I hate uni, so don't listen to me. Tongue

I will, however, help you with your business. Big Grin Start a publishing business and publish my manga please...

I totally see what you mean though. Having a 9-5 bullshit lifestyle just doesn't seem appealing to me. I don't care if I'm rich or poor, I just don't want a mundane life.

Lol, maybe when I'm super rich I'll start a publishing company just for you. Tongue

Quote:What business ?

Good question.

Quote:I'd urge you to finish. A degree will not necessarily get you a job, but the lack of one will take you out of the running for many jobs; they won't even interview you.

Find ways to make your schooling more interesting. My last year at university, I had a seminar course with a philosophy professor - just me and the professor. Each week I had to complete a chapter of mathematical logic and do all the problems. We would meet and discuss that and connected topics. It was hard work, very exciting, and made everything else more interesting because I learned to be completely exposed intellectually.

I also did tutoring for local high school students in maths; yet another activity that took me outside of myself and helped make me independent.

Not an option. I do commerce. My smallest lecture has over 80 people. My average lecture has around 200people. And it's very much "you have to take this paper in order to get this major".

And as my own boss I don't think impressing employers is really a factor.

01-09-2012, 08:44 AM
If you can finance it and if you have a great idea for a business, then sure, but you have to be REALLY sure. It could blow up in your face.

Only do it if you are close to 100% sure it is what you want...

Is it possible for you to return to uni at a later date?

[Image: opforum1.png]
01-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Well the thing is, what do I have now? nothing. So if I fail (unlikely) I haven't really lost anything, so the way I see it is that there is next to no risk. Once I have my first business and want to open a second or a third or a fourth etc.. however, that is when the real risk kicks in. But by then I'll know all the little details that make a difference.

01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
(01-09-2012 08:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well the thing is, what do I have now? nothing. So if I fail (unlikely) I haven't really lost anything, so the way I see it is that there is next to no risk. Once I have my first business and want to open a second or a third or a fourth etc.. however, that is when the real risk kicks in. But by then I'll know all the little details that make a difference.

Hahahahahahahahaha!Laughat

No risk? Unlikely to fail?

Dude, I have started 3 businesses. It's not easy, and success or failure is not entirely in your control. My first business failed in the late 80's because of an economic downturn and changes in government policy.

My second business failed because of restrictive spare parts policies of some manufacturers.

I'm on my third, and slugging it out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 09:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-09-2012 08:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  

I'd urge you to finish. A degree will not necessarily get you a job, but the lack of one will take you out of the running for many jobs; they won't even interview you.

Agree 150 % with this.
1. Get outside yourself for a while, regularly. It's one of the best things about doing the food shelf, or whatever. Just get out of your normal day routine.
2. You should finish. You don't know what you don't know. You will be glad some day you finished.
3. I have a couple friends who recently became unemployed. One was fired, and walked to the door, by her insane boss. I don't know what the conditions are like there, but in the US, the business of home-based medical billing and coding, is a huge REAL, home based business, you can grow, and work on, and build. All you need is a coding certificate, (in the US). You can get that on-line, (although I recommend a final "tutorial" phase with a real life instructor). They start about 20-25 per hour here.
4. You need a plan. If you were looking forward, and working on a plan, you would not be staring at the wall. What excites you MOST about life, what do you love to do the MOST ? Whatever that is, figure out a way to make it a business. That way life is rewarding in every way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-09-2012, 09:11 AM
(01-09-2012 09:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 08:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well the thing is, what do I have now? nothing. So if I fail (unlikely) I haven't really lost anything, so the way I see it is that there is next to no risk. Once I have my first business and want to open a second or a third or a fourth etc.. however, that is when the real risk kicks in. But by then I'll know all the little details that make a difference.

Hahahahahahahahaha!Laughat

No risk? Unlikely to fail?

Dude, I have started 3 businesses. It's not easy, and success or failure is not entirely in your control. My first business failed in the late 80's because of an economic downturn and changes in government policy.

My second business failed because of restrictive spare parts policies of some manufacturers.

I'm on my third, and slugging it out.

So this instantly means I am guaranteed to fail?

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that I could actually succeed at this?