Life choices.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
RE: Life choices.
Hey Muffs

I think you should finish school first. Like Chas said it may put you out the running for some jobs, if you end up having to work for others while trying to get your business up and running or between businesses the degree will help. I tutored math and accounting while in school and helping others was fun and made the experience more interesting.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

KidC

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 09:24 AM
(01-09-2012 09:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 09:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Hahahahahahahahaha!Laughat

No risk? Unlikely to fail?

Dude, I have started 3 businesses. It's not easy, and success or failure is not entirely in your control. My first business failed in the late 80's because of an economic downturn and changes in government policy.

My second business failed because of restrictive spare parts policies of some manufacturers.

I'm on my third, and slugging it out.

So this instantly means I am guaranteed to fail?

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that I could actually succeed at this?

I didn't say you were going to fail. I am just pointing out that your attitude is unrealistic - there is risk. My first two businesses were successful for a while, 7 years and 3 years, respectively.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
I really suggest you finish uni, you'll be happy you did it someday.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
01-09-2012, 09:33 AM
You got one year left?

Geez, finish the stuff up.

Having been an entrepreneur all my life , I can tell you that the one thing you will need to make it in business is "sticktoitiveness". Perseverance. Carrying a thing through to the end. Not giving up.

Making concrete plans for what you will do when you are finished helps to stick it out. Start a business plan and spend 30 mins a day looking it over and adding things that come to mind, or researching the market etc. That way you will be ready when it comes.

Don't fool yourself - being in business or having a job is more grinding than school after a short while.

And be prepared for failure - I lost my ass twice. If you read about the greats in business - they all lost their asses repeatedly. It's par for the course.

I would take the year to finish what I started and design in detail what I'll do nexrt. The more planning you put into it, the more likely you will succeed.

Like they say in business: Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-09-2012, 09:36 AM
(01-09-2012 09:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  You got one year left?

Having been an entrepreneur all my life , I can tell you that the one thing you will need to make it in business is "sticktoitiveness". Perseverance. Carrying a thing through to the end. Not giving up.

Making concrete plans for what you will do when you are finished helps to stick it out. Start a business plan and spend 30 mins a day looking it over and adding things that come to mind, or researching the market etc. That way you will be ready when it comes.

Don't fool yourself - being in business or having a job is more grinding than school after a short while.

And be prepared for failure - I lost my ass twice. If you read about the greats in business - they all lost their asses repeatedly. It's par for the course.

I would take the year to finish what I started and design in detail what I'll do nexrt. The more planning you put into it, the more likely you will succeed.

A2, you might not want to listen to me, but Dom? You gotta listen to Dom.Thumbsup

01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Life choices.
MuffDiver, if you knew what you wanted to do, and you had an established business plan and the start up capital, then I'd say go for it. You can do your last year part time and finish while you're running your uber cool successful business.

But it sounds to me as if you just know you want to have a business of your own, but you haven't the first clue as to what it should be, let alone how it should be run, let alone how to get started.

So use this last year of school wisely. If you're not just full of braggadocio and you really don't need to study to pass, then you might as well keep going to school and use all that amazing amount of time that you don't need to pass classes and put it to use researching the sort of business you want to create. Talk to owners and entrepreneurs. Read up on how to write your own business model. Consult with the professors in your business department as to the sorts of things you need to know and do to get your company off the ground.

To say you're going to quit school without the foggiest idea of what you're going to do seems rather foolish. And while I find you silly, I don't find you to be foolish. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
(01-09-2012 09:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 09:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  You got one year left?

A2, you might not want to listen to me, but Dom? You gotta listen to Dom.Thumbsup

Oh, and no way would i discourage you from going into business for yourself. It's great if you can stand the ups and downs, and there is nothing like working for yourself to make it all worthwhile.

I just don't want you to fail off the bat, it would be a pity if you got discouraged and went to work for others instead.

I wouldn't change a thing about my life, failures and all. It's never boring, there is always motivation, and success is sweet.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
(01-09-2012 09:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  MuffDiver, if you knew what you wanted to do, and you had an established business plan and the start up capital, then I'd say go for it. You can do your last year part time and finish while you're running your uber cool successful business.

But it sounds to me as if you just know you want to have a business of your own, but you haven't the first clue as to what it should be, let alone how it should be run, let alone how to get started.

So use this last year of school wisely. If you're not just full of braggadocio and you really don't need to study to pass, then you might as well keep going to school and use all that amazing amount of time that you don't need to pass classes and put it to use researching the sort of business you want to create. Talk to owners and entrepreneurs. Read up on how to write your own business model. Consult with the professors in your business department as to the sorts of things you need to know and do to get your company off the ground.

To say you're going to quit school without the foggiest idea of what you're going to do seems rather foolish. And while I find you silly, I don't find you to be foolish. Drinking Beverage

Geez, you might make a good counselor or pastor. Ever thought of that line of business? Consider

[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Life choices.
(01-09-2012 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 09:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  MuffDiver, if you knew what you wanted to do, and you had an established business plan and the start up capital, then I'd say go for it. You can do your last year part time and finish while you're running your uber cool successful business.

Geez, you might make a good counselor or pastor. Ever thought of that line of business? Consider

Well I am speaking partly from the experience of resigning my pastorate without having a clue as to what to do next. 8 years later I'm still lookin. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I imagine your current moneyflow situation has a lot do with this decision muffs and I cant blame you for it..... however you are over halfway through your course and it would be a shame to not have anything to show for what you have learned.

Stick with it dude..... this economy is fucked at the minute and if you want a job that pays over minimum wage then its best to have some qualifications to give you that advantage.

If you did leave could you then later go back and finish what you have missed..... or would you have to retake all three years again???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.