Life choices.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
RE: Life choices.
There is no reason why one cannot BOTH go to school, AND work on a business at the same time. If you want to switch to another school, or another way to go to school, fine, but someday, you will regret not finishing, at least eventually finishing. And, besides, the paradigm is changing. Life-long learning is now the thing. You should have a plan for all the shit you want to learn about. This doesn't have to be a one-or-the-other thing. Do both, if that's what you want.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Life choices.
You could open up a Mac-n-Cheese and Chicken Salt Sandwich Shop!

Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Finish what you start ya idiot.

So what if you're bored. Get a job too. Take different classes. Write short stories, play a sport, masturbate more if it's even possible.

Id kill you to go to university. Don't throw the opportunity away. Dick.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
01-09-2012, 10:04 AM
(01-09-2012 10:03 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Finish what you start ya idiot.

So what if you're bored. Get a job too. Take different classes. Write short stories, play a sport, masturbate more if it's even possible.

Id kill you to go to university. Don't throw the opportunity away. Dick.

I said the same thing, but not as poetically.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah, as tempting as it is to skip that nasty exam that's still there on the list and jump head first into life, it will bite your ass later on. And no, don't lie to yourself, you won't graduate later. If you don't do it while you are still fresh and deep into what you're studying, next year it will feel like starting over. A lot of stuff that you don't even realize you already know now will feel foreign in a year. After more than a year, if you ever figure out that you actually needed a degree, you will lose opportunities and/or you will start as a freshman.

You are about to do something stupid and your mind may already be made up in that direction, but you asked so I answer: After you graduate this will be a complete episode of your life and it may or may not help you at some point, but you will never ever have to explain to potential employers or partners how you came very close to graduating, so you know that stuff very well anyway so it's kinda like you graduated. The difference between a graduate and a kinda graduate is huge in real world.

You are very close, so get your ass together and do it for real.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
01-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Here's a business you can do on the side with an outlay of less that $100 that works most anyplace:

Go the craigs list and jenny's and your local paper's classifieds. (don't forget the classifieds!)

Write down the contact info etc for all the handimen that advertise there.

Call them up and ask them if they were willing to pay you 10% for jobs you refer to them. Make sure they are licenced and have experience. Write down their licence numbers etc. Make an info sheet about each one so you can answer questions - years of experience, what they are specializing in, references, etc.

Think of a name for your business and go to your town hall or whatever and file a DBA (doing business as)

Put ads on Craigs and the local newspaper classifieds (yes, you are partially targeting an older generation, like widows and such, they need reliable handimen. You are also targeting younger affluent people who have no time for house stuff, them you can catch online).

Wait for your phone to ring or emails to come in and refer the jobs.

Collect your money.

I've used this a a crutch several times when I moved or was between businesses. It always seems to work fine. It's not a lifetime inspiration, but it generates money til you have come up with a great plan for your next move.

P.S. Do NOT use a generic email address like Yahoo etc, get one that has your business name as domain. You need basic trust.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Finish it, really!
Let me tell you, I am one of the people regretting to not have taken the chance once it was there. Today I am too old to really start studying and I do not have the Dr. that I wanted when I was 12, and I do not have the business that I wanted when I was 21 because it failed. And I was just like that, I am too tired of school, and my businessplan is great! Guess what, real life is not what you imagine it to be.

You don't even know WHAT kind of business you want to start but in the same post you say it can't fail. What logic is that? Think, dude!
Take this last year, get your decree, and use the time to think about what kind of business you want and how to start it, maybe even start a bit already.

Also, yes being your own boss is great and all, who says you will be your own boss until you die? So no, right now if you start a business you won't have to impress a boss with your studies. But hey, you have customers in that case. You think they will trust you with whatever service you offer, just because you have a pretty smile? Also you might need business partner, how do you prove that you know your shit and are trustworthy? What if the business fails and suddenly you DO have to impress a potential employer?

Don't be a fool and waste that opportunity, finish what you started.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
(01-09-2012 08:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  And as my own boss I don't think impressing employers is really a factor.

I am my own boss right now. No employers to impress but myself. Guess what: now I am looking for my own clients and I have to impress them. I have experience to cover my ass and that makes things easier, but every time I really want a contract, I am pulling out everything I have to point out that I am qualified for the requirements. Don't think for a second that bypassing a human resource manager makes you invulnerable to proof of qualification. My diploma pushed me ahead plenty of times and not having it would have sucked.

You will never be sorry for the extra year you "wasted", but you will slap yourself hard for not investing it when you'll find out that you needed it. Do the smart thing and graduate.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Please stay in school! The day will come when you know it was the right thing to do.

So many people that quit never go back. Took me many years to finally get to college, it won't be wasted in the long run. If you are bored, look around and find a class you wouldn't have thought of taking before and learn something completely different, go out of your comfort zone and you might find something that really interests you.

Can you get paid to tutor people in the areas where you excel? Share the knowledge you already have.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
FINISH! Even if you are your own boss, people you wheel and deal with may ask for papers. Potential partners, share holders, etc. Do it now, because to go back and finish it might mean more schooling to catch up in criteria in the future.

You need to find a away to get some passion back to make it to the end, something motivating.