Life in the fast lane.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Life in the fast lane.
Minutes meld into hours, hours meld into days, days meld into weeks.

From the title of this post, you were probably expecting something different than a person who is constantly at a loss of awareness.

Does anyone else feel this?

It feels like life is constantly on autopilot, like I am stuck in my own head looking outwards upon the world.

I say a few words, reflect on them, and come to the realization that it was not actually me speaking, it was the autopilot taking control of the ship.

It does not feel like I was the one who spoke.

This is happening at an ever-increasing rate, and only when I think about it does it subside.

School moves by incredibly fast, which is terrific, and I remember everything that has happened during the day, which is also terrific. However, it really does not feel like I was actually there.

I constantly search this symptom on the internet, in hopes that I might find out what may be causing it.

There is no disorientation, loss of balance, headaches, or depressed mood that I feel. I just don't feel like I'm me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2013, 11:19 PM
RE: Life in the fast lane.
ah, this sounds very familiar to me. It's like your just going through the motions, a feeling of monotony right?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
21-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Everyone has these feelings. You may be worryng too much about it.
21-11-2013, 06:14 AM
I know this feeling too.

I think it has to do with the different levels your brain operates on. There is hardware (genetic) and software (life experience) and they constantly produce responses/solutions etc. to current situations.

There is also an analytical level that evaluates the efficiency of these reactions. That's the level I think you are talking about. It's like you are watching yourself act, or evaluating your actions at the end of the day or such.

For me, this is especially strong during stressful periods. After my husband died, I was on that level to an extreme, to where it made me wonder if I was losing my mind. It was like I was on the outside, looking in. I acted like a complete robot.

Perhaps you are in a stressful phase of your life?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-11-2013, 06:18 PM
There's a psychological disorder called depersonalization disorder or, sometimes referred to as depersonalization-derealization syndrome.
I'm just finishing up my psych degree and did a research paper last year on depersonalization. When therapists diagnose, they use a manual called the DSM and for every mental disorder there is certain criteria. What you described and the way you described it meets all of the criteria for depersonalization disorder. Unless you're using any substances that might be causing these feelings.
I'd recommend looking it up and seeing if you feel like this might be an explanation for you and then seeing a psychiatrist. There are isolated reports of medication helping with this, specifically ones that are able to reduce the release of something called glutamate in your brain... There are also therapeutic options (I'd recommed cognitive-behavioural therapy, based on the research I did) that studies have shown help.
Hope this maybe helps and gives you some insight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 06:39 PM
I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you are longing to feel purposeful.