Life is a test?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Life is a test?
Where do Christians or other religions get the whole life is a test line of thinking from?

Basically with Christianity, the only reason why we are here is because the Immortal beings called Adam and Eve lost their Immortality by eating the poison that was put right next to them. Much like the two year old placed in a empty room with an open container of bleach, that is basically what they did.

Life was not a test back then for them. They were alive just as we are. The garden of eve was located on the planet earth. So, basically, if the only thing that has changed from prior to that time to the time that is now is that "original sin" is cursing us and making all these diseases and allowing us to feel pain and misery etc.

How the fuck is this considered a test? Where do they get the logic from that we are "put here" as a part of some divine plan as a test....UNLESS! Unless follow me here....The two first humans eating the apple and causing all of this was his plan, but if that is the case....why not just skip all that stupid shit and just make it a test to begin with unless God wanted all of us in the future to feel guilty about every little thing including normal human bodily functions and thinking so he his priets can collect more money for him!

Where do they get the life is a test line from?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
18-12-2014, 06:30 AM
RE: Life is a test?
Yep, life is a test, and the way you pass is by believing a ridiculous story on bad evidence. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
18-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Simple. Just look at the story through the eyes of humans trying to explain stuff they didn't know, then it makes perfect sense. Look at it through the eyes of a loving god and it makes no sense at all. The most obvious explanation is usually correct.

I've always used the argument that god takes away free will in heaven if there is no pain and suffering. When they say that "We will have free will intact, god just takes away the temptation of the devil" I reply that he could have done that to begin with if he was an all loving god.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
18-12-2014, 06:53 AM
It's a weak attempt to reconcile the problem of suffering/evil in the real world.

At some level, they understand if you are a follower of god, then shouldn't god cut believers a break?

When the real world simply behaves like their god doesn't exist, then they have to come up with excuses for god's lack of influence.

Suffering has a purpose, it's to make us better, we wouldn't know what happiness is without sadness, pleasure without pain.

See? It's all part of his master plan!

Even though his plan is the stupidest plan imaginable.

But we can't judge god with our limited human minds, mysterious ways and all.....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-12-2014, 07:05 AM
(18-12-2014 06:28 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Where do Christians or other religions get the whole life is a test line of thinking from?

The only time I've heard people try to push this one is when explaining why heaven can exist along side the problem of evil. If they bust out free will as the answer to the PoE, you point out that either there is no free will in heaven, or that it is possible for God to make people with free will who are always good. Either way, heaven invalidates this.

So, they will shift the goal posts and say that our earthly lives are a test, and we get rewarded with heaven. Why a future-seeing God needs to test us is beyond me.

Alternately, they might say that we need to mature in a moral sense before we can properly behave in heaven. So, there's still free will in heaven, but everyone is morally mature enough to behave for infinity years (apparently, the rate of recidivism is 0%, cuz reasons). Now, if God is able to create Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults without them maturing like every other person on the planet, this begs the question: is God not willing and/or not able to create morally mature humans?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-12-2014, 07:55 AM
(18-12-2014 07:05 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 06:28 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Where do Christians or other religions get the whole life is a test line of thinking from?

The only time I've heard people try to push this one is when explaining why heaven can exist along side the problem of evil. If they bust out free will as the answer to the PoE, you point out that either there is no free will in heaven, or that it is possible for God to make people with free will who are always good. Either way, heaven invalidates this.

So, they will shift the goal posts and say that our earthly lives are a test, and we get rewarded with heaven. Why a future-seeing God needs to test us is beyond me.

Alternately, they might say that we need to mature in a moral sense before we can properly behave in heaven. So, there's still free will in heaven, but everyone is morally mature enough to behave for infinity years (apparently, the rate of recidivism is 0%, cuz reasons). Now, if God is able to create Adam and Eve as fully functioning adults without them maturing like every other person on the planet, this begs the question: is God not willing and/or not able to create morally mature humans?

And why punish those that don't make the "right" choice with an infinite punishment that gives no chance at redemption or learning from one's mistakes?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
18-12-2014, 09:44 AM
I gave tests back when I was teaching.

The point of the test was to discover and document whether my students had learned the material, to what degree they had learned it, and what parts they had learned.

If I already knew all that through being omniscient and didn't have to document that knowledge to third parties to whom I was answerable, I wouldn't have had any reason to test them.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
18-12-2014, 10:29 AM
(18-12-2014 07:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  And why punish those that don't make the "right" choice with an infinite punishment that gives no chance at redemption or learning from one's mistakes?

God's perfect justice, of course. They "willingly" turned away from him. And besides, what are you doing: questioning God?

(Christian cop-outs number 35, 17, and 497 respectively.)
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-12-2014, 10:48 AM
People see obstacles in life and feel tested to overcome them. They enjoy the hurdle. If they can get over the obstacle it makes them feel better about themselves. If they can help others over the obstacle, it gives that person a sense of pride to help those less fortunate. If you can profit from inventing a hurdle that only your knowledge can ensure the safety of others, then by all means, let's make some money from these gullible saps.

You're being tested. Accept the evil in the world and don't try to change it too much. After all we have already convinced you that evil needs to be here if good is to have any meaning at all.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
18-12-2014, 11:04 AM
(18-12-2014 06:28 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  ...
but if that is the case....why not just skip all that stupid shit and just make it a test to begin with unless God wanted all of us in the future to feel guilty about every little thing including normal human bodily functions and thinking so he his priets can collect more money for him!

Same point from a different angle: If heaven is a place where it is all good and there is no more sin, why didn't gawd just put us all there in the first place and skip all this "test" crap? He should already know who will end up there and who won't anyway, so he should just skip creating the ones that will end up in hell and create the rest in heaven. Earth is not needed. Omniscience can be pretty stupid sometimes!

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.