Life is a test?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 11:05 AM
RE: Life is a test?
Quote:Where do Christians or other religions get the whole life is a test line of thinking from?

From constantly flunking.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-12-2014, 11:10 AM
I see this as a variation of the "mysterious ways" spiel. By this incredibly flawed logic, you can actually turn the argument back against them.

What if God's test was actually being able to think for yourself and being an atheist instead of blindly obeying him without question? The bible is then a test to see if people actually read it before believing it.
19-12-2014, 07:14 AM
(18-12-2014 11:10 AM)Bear100 Wrote:  What if God's test was actually being able to think for yourself and being an atheist instead of blindly obeying him without question? The bible is then a test to see if people actually read it before believing it.

This is actually the hypothetical I throw at people who invoke Pascal's Wager. You can throw other "real world" religions at them, and they can tell you that while it reduces your chance of picking the right religion, it's still mathematically correct to pick one. But, if you can't prove religion X is right, and you're just following it as a hedge bet, then I can posit anything that can't be proven. So, I posit a God (typically named Steve) that punishes blind faith and rewards rational thinking. I can posit as many variations of Steve as people can posit versions of God. The answer to Pascal's Wager becomes indeterminate at this point.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-12-2014, 05:38 PM
I've been thinking of this thread for awhile because I can't think of anytime I've come across this phrase from a religious standpoint. I think it makes easy sense in the religious view of God judging you when you die.

But it has always come to my ears through means of motivational speakers or bumbling goons trying to mimic the ideas of failure being unacceptable at all accounts. That is the context that it doesn't make much sense to me through. In what way is life a test, it isn't like there is some grand test giver or a point where you will be required to recite the knowledge you gained from life. It's more a challenge than any type of test metaphor.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Good question.
Honestly i can't fully reply as not even i would know
and i'm not saying what i'm about to state is logical either however maybe in their eyes this twisted "World we live in is a test for us to learn about our mistakes and help others in our lives" But that even seems twisted because then you have to ask yourself wait, don't that mean he "Did this for no good reason and kinda a went a little over the top just to teach something so simple" That is if he did exist. I don't know if he did but i doubt it so far. I don't honestly think their idea of logic and a test is very good, however if you grow up believing in something and have nothing else to look at for help sometimes you tend to feel scared and lost. Especially if you grew up having bad experiences and i can understand the fear of letting go of what somebody feels is the thing that'll make them happy in the end.
I just don't agree that's a very good happy ending with by the sounds a scary ass god.Drinking Beverage
21-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Believers like the rest of us have egos that require stroking. Characters like Abraham and Job are heroic icons of faith. Many Christians aspire to be heroes in God's story by proving their devotion when 'tested' by 'trials'. What a wonderful excuse for God's many misdeeds!

I believe that much of the arrogance in Christianity stems from the ignorance and lack of personal fulfillment in other areas of life that characterizes a large segment of that group. Hence the desire to pass the faith test, which requires no investment in education. Just believe harder and God will love you more.
21-12-2014, 02:38 AM
(19-12-2014 05:38 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've been thinking of this thread for awhile because I can't think of anytime I've come across this phrase from a religious standpoint. I think it makes easy sense in the religious view of God judging you when you die.

But it has always come to my ears through means of motivational speakers or bumbling goons trying to mimic the ideas of failure being unacceptable at all accounts. That is the context that it doesn't make much sense to me through. In what way is life a test, it isn't like there is some grand test giver or a point where you will be required to recite the knowledge you gained from life. It's more a challenge than any type of test metaphor.

in short religion is a gigantic piles of cognitive bias of sheep inflated by shepherds with even bigger doses of Bullshit cognitive bias
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
21-12-2014, 10:55 AM
If life is a test, can I get that test to see how well I handle fortune, fame and lots of power ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
23-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Life is the lesson, the test and the grade..
23-12-2014, 12:04 PM
(18-12-2014 06:28 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Where do Christians or other religions get the whole life is a test line of thinking from?

Basically with Christianity, the only reason why we are here is because the Immortal beings called Adam and Eve lost their Immortality by eating the poison that was put right next to them. Much like the two year old placed in a empty room with an open container of bleach, that is basically what they did.

Life was not a test back then for them. They were alive just as we are. The garden of eve was located on the planet earth. So, basically, if the only thing that has changed from prior to that time to the time that is now is that "original sin" is cursing us and making all these diseases and allowing us to feel pain and misery etc.

How the fuck is this considered a test? Where do they get the logic from that we are "put here" as a part of some divine plan as a test....UNLESS! Unless follow me here....The two first humans eating the apple and causing all of this was his plan, but if that is the case....why not just skip all that stupid shit and just make it a test to begin with unless God wanted all of us in the future to feel guilty about every little thing including normal human bodily functions and thinking so he his priests can collect more money for him!

Where do they get the life is a test line from?

Reverse engineer to get the answer. Without a detailed sin story and a cast of other characters and stories that weave in and out of other stories there just wouldn't be enough brain candy to lure in minds that are curious and just LOVE drama, patterns, magic, and convoluted stories. Sitting around trying to understand why or what the fuck it's all about is similar to sitting around and trying to figure out what you already know isn't there. Once you truly free yourself you literally, as George Carlin once put it, have to sit back and admire it from a distance in awe.