Life is tough on me, what should I do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2012, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 11:29 AM by TrainWreck.)
Life is tough on me, what should I do?
At the beginning of the year I was compeled to accept government assistance for housing and and further welfare entitlements. I have been housed in a decrepet wood frame apartment building in a polution clean-up zone. Last month I began symptoms consistent with household mold infestation - it turns into spores that fall on clothing and skin and causes allergy rashes and flu-like symptoms, and anti-fungals and antihistemenes are the remedy, and spraying disinfectant cleaners to kill the mold. But the mold regrows and continues to produce spores and I have to keep buying anti-fungals, because I am too impatient to wait for a doctor to prescribe it for me. The best approach is to vacate the building to homelessness again.

And then last night, one of the freaky neighbors shit all over himself, and the medics had to be called in to evacuate his sick ass to the hospital for what ever it is that had been causing him for the past three days. The hallway still stinks horribly, and no one is willing to clean it, and supposedly the NYC Health Department would not be out for maybe five days.

It smells really bad, and supposedly there is diarhria all over his room.

How's your life going?

If this is not political what is it - personal???

Why should I accept to live in these conditions?

Why can't I have immediate relief?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
RE: Life is tough on me, what should I do?
Sorry your living situation is awful.

Mine hasn't been that great for the last three years either but yours sounds pretty undesirable. To say the least.

Given the time of year I don't know if it would be better to stay there in the mold, or to venture to the street with the looming cold. I'd probably stick with the mold. As for the smell, I think it would be great if someone else would clean it up, but if no one does is it possible for you to do it, as fucking gross as that is.

Are you working right now? You seem crazy, but bright enough to be employed. There isn't a lot of work out there, and the work that seems the most avaliable is typically of the low wage part time variety. Not really enough to survive on. But you mentioned government assistance. I know of a program in Canada where I am that does wage assistance. Basically you show them you are working and making virtually no money and they ask how much you need. The amount differs and is usually low, but if you can get an apartment lined up that is outside of your wage, they will often make sure you have enough for the rest of the rent and your bills.

As with all governemnt programs though there is a ridiculous waiting list. I suppose because we are more interested in fat government salaries then helping out our regular citizens.

Me and the wife fell hard 3 years ago, and have yet to recover even half way. When we saw it coming we looked into housing assistance and just financial assistance and found that not only were we not fucked enough to qualify for anything, but the list was so long we still wouldn't have seen any help. In-laws house it is.

I hope you get through all this shit man.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
06-10-2012, 12:16 PM
How many rooms are there in this apartment?
Is there a kitchen with appliances, a bathroom?
Is there carpeting in this apartment?
Are you disabled or are you able to perform light tasks?
Will you stay there for a specific period of time or is this temporary?
Do you have access to a paint store and/or hardware store?
If you can afford disinfectant cleaners and anti-fungals, then you can afford materials under $80, yes?

I do have some ideas, but I would need the above information.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
If you are in the US and there is mold, you need to call the health dept.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-10-2012, 12:31 PM
(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  How many rooms are there in this apartment?
It is a small room, maybe 15 feet by 8 feet with a window.

(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Is there a kitchen with appliances, a bathroom?
No, it is a shared bathroom, that is really psycho.

(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Is there carpeting in this apartment?
No

(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Are you disabled or are you able to perform light tasks?
I'll have you to know that I am a very capable man, and no task is to heavy for me - I just don't want to do manual labor - its beneath me. I'm an independent and critical thinking intellectual who has figured out how to save the world.

(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Will you stay there for a specific period of time or is this temporary?
It is supposed to be temporary, but I don't think I am going to get the better apartment they promise, because I refuse to claim any disability, because I do not want to get in any trouble for fraud, because I plan on being a millionaire when people realize that they owe me for figuring out the better classification system and constitutional system.Tongue

(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Do you have access to a paint store and/or hardware store?
Easily accessable, and the room was freshly painted when I moved in.

(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  If you can afford disinfectant cleaners and anti-fungals, then you can afford materials under $80, yes?

I do have some ideas, but I would need the above information.
Repainting is the best solution?

ThanksBig Grin

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-10-2012, 12:41 PM
You can re-paint it but it will just come straight back again quite fast.

Tell your pride to fuck off.... if you can get a manual handling job then do so, to help better your own situation and increase your options.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
06-10-2012, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 02:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-10-2012 12:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Are you disabled or are you able to perform light tasks?
I'll have you to know that I am a very capable man, and no task is to heavy for me - I just don't want to do manual labor - its beneath me. I'm an independent and critical thinking intellectual who has figured out how to save the world.

You do seem like a sharp cat to me. Bordering on comic genius (although many here will disagree with me on that point). I can only assume from your current situation that you lack the necessary educational qualifications prerequisite for most reputable professions. If I was in your situation and wanted to avoid manual labor and shady enterprises, I'd suck it up and look for entry-level clerical work. Many of those types of employers will pay for continuing education.

(06-10-2012 12:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Will you stay there for a specific period of time or is this temporary?
It is supposed to be temporary, but I don't think I am going to get the better apartment they promise, because I refuse to claim any disability, because I do not want to get in any trouble for fraud, because I plan on being a millionaire when people realize that they owe me for figuring out the better classification system and constitutional system.Tongue

That's some interesting shit CatastrophicAccident (at least I can comprehend and understand it, unlike msbiljanica), but apparently you forgot to make a backup plan. ... Always gotta have a Plan B. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
06-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Dom is right - the dept of health and environment should know - call them no matter what.
If it's temporary you can take a dehumidifier with you when you move -one will cost about $160. The following might cost you half that...

Go to the paint or hardware store and pick up some powdered TSP(paint guys will know), a couple of cheap buckets, sponges, drop cloths, paint brushes (also rollers if desired), and 2 gallons of Kilz. Get the white - more titanium dioxide and probably cheaper than the colored kind.

It's good you don't have carpet, I was going to suggest you rip it down to bare floors. If you have a fan, point it out the window to vent. Move all your shit either out or to one side of the room and cover it. Read the TSP directions ... measurements don't have to be exact -I like a little extra powder to water, personally.

Starting at a top corner, work a three by three ft area at a time - sponge on; let sit per directions; rinse off - repeat around the room including ceilings. When you've done the entire room, close the window and get a heater in there to dry it out for about 4 hours - more if you have the time - you want it bone dry. I like a 24 hour cure out but if you haven't the time, 4 to 6 with dry heat is good.

Once you're TSP clean, start laying on the Kilz straight. Do NOT mix with water; there is no such thing as "stretching" paint - that will only dilute the hardeners and protectants. Put the shit on however you want - I like to cut-in first -just a preference - don't miss any spots. Don't open the window for 2 to 4 hours at least -you want it dry.

Remember; bone dry is good... your mold won't be back.

Get a Spider or Airplane plant and never water them - just put 2 ice cubes on them one day a week. They can help to cut down the shit in your air - moisture, dust, mold.

Small dehumidifiers are a good investment. There is also a product called Damp Rid you can purchase at the hardware store or even online. It works fine for small areas like closets if you remember to toss out the water every couple of days.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-10-2012, 04:43 PM
(06-10-2012 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Dom is right - the dept of health and environment should know - call them no matter what.

Yup. Yes

(06-10-2012 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Go to the paint or hardware store and pick up some powdered TSP(paint guys will know), a couple of cheap buckets, sponges, drop cloths, paint brushes (also rollers if desired), and 2 gallons of Kilz. Get the white - more titanium dioxide and probably cheaper than the colored kind.

It's good you don't have carpet, I was going to suggest you rip it down to bare floors. If you have a fan, point it out the window to vent. Move all your shit either out or to one side of the room and cover it. Read the TSP directions ... measurements don't have to be exact -I like a little extra powder to water, personally.

Starting at a top corner, work a three by three ft area at a time - sponge on; let sit per directions; rinse off - repeat around the room including ceilings. When you've done the entire room, close the window and get a heater in there to dry it out for about 4 hours - more if you have the time - you want it bone dry. I like a 24 hour cure out but if you haven't the time, 4 to 6 with dry heat is good.

Once you're TSP clean, start laying on the Kilz straight. Do NOT mix with water; there is no such thing as "stretching" paint - that will only dilute the hardeners and protectants. Put the shit on however you want - I like to cut-in first -just a preference - don't miss any spots. Don't open the window for 2 to 4 hours at least -you want it dry.

Not sure I'd rush into that if it wasn't my property. I'd suggest it to the owner, but doing it on my own without permission might not be advisable.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-10-2012, 10:14 PM
(06-10-2012 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Dom is right - the dept of health and environment should know - call them no matter what.
If it's temporary you can take a dehumidifier with you when you move -one will cost about $160. The following might cost you half that...

Go to the paint or hardware store and pick up some powdered TSP(paint guys will know), a couple of cheap buckets, sponges, drop cloths, paint brushes (also rollers if desired), and 2 gallons of Kilz. Get the white - more titanium dioxide and probably cheaper than the colored kind.

Get a Spider or Airplane plant and never water them - just put 2 ice cubes on them one day a week. They can help to cut down the shit in your air - moisture, dust, mold.

Small dehumidifiers are a good investment. There is also a product called Damp Rid you can purchase at the hardware store or even online. It works fine for small areas like closets if you remember to toss out the water every couple of days.

I'm sticking this advice in my back pocket, thanks.