Life, love and the beauty of reality...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Star Life, love and the beauty of reality...
Many theists, even some here on this forum often feel the urge to convert non-believers to accept their specific imaginary higher being, as from their perspective, people of other faiths or no faiths would miss out on what they think the worth of life. But while they are focussing on trying to force their views down our throats, most would not even bother to ask how life is for an atheist, and even if they ask, they are not willing to accept the answers.

Now, the argument that we (as atheists) would miss out just doesn't make sense to me especially when there wasn't anything for me to miss in the first place. Even while my short phase of dealing with god was more of an imaginary mental concept. I thought it might be somehow useful, but I quickly noticed that it was a lame character, so I moved on by creating my own imaginary friends. I have a very lively fantasy and imagination and my created creatures are still in my mind. Each has its purpose and acts like some sort of a reflective guide in order to deal with people and the interaction with them.

Other than that, how's life anyway? Well, one thing for sure, it's full of surprises, tons of things to learn and discover. The mind burgling huge and the tiny seem so complicated, yet in it's core it's so simple. The curiosity keeps us going, we are eager to get to know, reevaluate, rethink, reflect, overcome obstacles and at the end feel such an amount of happiness to have finally learned something new. All life long.

We live on a "pale blue dot", it's the only home we have on which at the end of the day, we only have each other. The love is what keeps us together. Loving ourselves and others is what enlightens us throughout our lives. If this kind of love would only be referred to some mental conception of a deity, well, I'd rather not imagine what happens if we would not parents would not love their children, partners not love their significant other etc... Love is something that is widely spread among many species on this planet, it all works perfectly fine. A dog or cat who loves its owner doesn't need any deity to do so, nor does it even know about its concept. Yet it still loves and feels, purely from its own heart.

All the stuff we see hear and feel is a creation of our brains that allow us to explore the beauties of reality. But we can only do this if we keep digging for the truth, keep exploring, keep expanding our thoughts, simply keep on going. Our brains still have a long way to go, so they have to keep evolving. Assuming that we (and everything around us) is already created in its proclaimed final stage, we have nothing to learn, nothing to gain, nothing more to live for. We'd be technically beyond dead, because we would not have been born in the first place.

So now for those who wonder how is life without a deity, I'd like to answer this question with a quote from Carl Sagan, which was the inspiration to create this post:

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

That's it, thanks for reading. Heart

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like pxlgirl's post
20-02-2013, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 01:01 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: Life, love and the beauty of reality...
This is the love of my life photographing a whale while swimming with it. There is nothing, real or imagined, that can add one iota to the awe I feel to be alive.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post