Life of Pi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 06:08 AM by Percepticon.)
RE: Life of Pi
I saw the film the other night. The reference comes from the beginning of the movie, when a writer approaches the adult Pi and said he was told Pi has a story, and Pi said he has a story that will make him believe in God.

It's a survival story with fantasy elements, and Pi believes God came at just the right times to ensure his survival.

*** Spoiler alert ***

Basically though, at the end of the story Pi has to tell a bland, more accurate & gruesome version of his story, and he asks the writer which story he likes better. The writer replies, "The one with the tiger." And so it is with God, supposedly....which is no evidence whatsoever.

I didn't see the previews for the movie, but my mom did, and said she wants to see the movie. But after I saw the movie I do not think that my mother would like it very much. I wonder if she just wants to see it because she also heard something to the effect of it being evidence for God.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2013, 06:23 PM
I only saw the movie and I liked it for the cinematography. Candy to my eyes! You had me at hello Heart

The storyline was mediocre though.

Basically I gathered that Pi was infatuated with God concept in any and every way he could get it, which seemed peculiar to his family, particularly his secular father.

The correlation between the animal version of the life raft and the gruesome murderous alternative tale he told the insurance reps is an analogy to why he chooses the God concept for life over the reality based one. (thus the reason for God, and the inclination of the God delusion preference)

Do I like that? No. I find the concepts or analogy should be reversed. Life is more sweet based in awe-inspiring reality- it amazes me. Not the imagination of a different form. This life form is the brilliant and beautiful one.

Life of Pi... pshhht. Whatev.
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Fair point, LJ.

But as an explanation as to why many people turn to fantasy i.e. reality is just too difficult to take, I think it made a valid point executed with creativity and imagination.

Some were saying that it was a book that upheld the god-concept.

I read it as a story that upheld the idea that we are fearful creatures who cannot handle the truth of reality and prefer the escapism of fantasy.

Therefore, god = fantasy.

17-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes, true. I didn't mean to imply that ALL imagination and fantasy are not good, just the imagination of a God form over reality. I don't think the God concept is a good alternative to reality, specifically. Smile

I freaking love a good day dream though.

Life of Pi reminds me of PTSD. Some people with PTSD forget things that happened to protect themselves, or remember things incorrectly sometimes as a way to cope.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
17-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Arg, I feel like I'm not communicating well today. I don't like how a 'good fantasy' = a God world, as if God is the better option than day-to-day living (not traumatic living). So many more beautiful things can (and were) thought (imagined) up by Pi than the religious thinking he had to begin with. I left the movie feeling as if it was trying to convince me that believing in God is the better choice to not, whether or not God exists, I didn't mean to elude that fantasy itself is not an option or enjoyable.
29-07-2013, 05:24 PM
This movie is in my Netflix queue and I was wondering if it's worth renting or if I should remove it.

Thoughts??

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

29-07-2013, 07:09 PM
(29-07-2013 05:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This movie is in my Netflix queue and I was wondering if it's worth renting or if I should remove it.

Thoughts??

If you appreciate cutting edge computer graphics eye candy and a decent enough plot, then sure. It's a standard man v. environment survival story. Had the main character not mentioned the "proof of God" idea in the beginning, it would not come off as theological.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
29-07-2013, 07:33 PM
(29-07-2013 07:09 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 05:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This movie is in my Netflix queue and I was wondering if it's worth renting or if I should remove it.

Thoughts??

If you appreciate cutting edge computer graphics eye candy and a decent enough plot, then sure. It's a standard man v. environment survival story. Had the main character not mentioned the "proof of God" idea in the beginning, it would not come off as theological.

That's what I needed to know! Thanks so much.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
I thought it was a good tale. At least it had a good storyline, characters you cared about and an interesting take on life.

Reeechard Parker!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Meh, I appreciate the story as a whole, I rather glaze over both the very beginning and end. I can ignore any references towards a god, was a very interesting survival story. Made my Top Ten favorite films last year. Smile

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"