Life on Mars, Panspermia, and Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 08:20 PM by Buddy Christ.)

Recap:

Pretty basic stuff until 5:30.

Apparently Mars was a "wet, fertile place" until something went wrong and it became the way it is.

Venus was the same way, but somehow became a greenhouse gone terribly wrong. So it would behoove us to learn about how this happened so it doesn't happen to us.

It's plausible to assume that life on Earth sprang from bacteria from asteroids and rocks from other planets. Since the universe consists of the same elements everywhere, it's not a stretch to say that we could have come from a fertile Mars.

And then he goes on to discuss the 1% that makes us so much smarter than chimps, and what if we met a species that was that same 1% smarter than us and so on.

I'm off to get some Pizza Rolls... so... discuss until i return. I find all this fascinating. I can almost picture life forming, civilizations forming, then planets and solar systems exploding, scattering its contents to other far away planets and starting over again. I see what he means about feeling a king of "spiritual" connection when looking up at the sky. Space is our home. It's where we come from.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
19-09-2012, 08:18 PM
You said sperm. Heh heh heh heh heh

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
19-09-2012, 09:44 PM
RE: Life on Mars, Panspermia, and Neil deGrasse Tyson
I've seen a shortened version of that clip before. He does raise some very interesting points. The idea that we are comprised of the most basic and prevalent elements in the universe is a good argument for there being life on other planets.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that water was once on Mars?
There is a canyon bigger then the grand canyon (by a lot I believe, and note that Mars is smaller then earth) that could have only been made in the same way.

The problem Mars has is that it's magnetic field is patchy and weak so likely what happened to Mars is it once had a magnetic field like Earth does that protected it from radiation from the sun but something happened and Mar's magnetic field is now the way it is (core may be slowing, flares from the sun etc.. I'm not to sure. It's most likely Mar's core is slowing I would think.) and so radiation pelts the surface which would evaporate any surface water and kill any living things until this what we have today, a barren waste land.
The other problem Mars has is it's distance from the sun. Mars is cold.

As for Venus ever having life I highly doubt that. The reason Venus has such horrible global warming is because it's the most volcanic planet in our solar system. The majority of the surface is spewing lava flows. So you take that, you fog up the atmosphere and you have Venus as we know it today. Plus something made it spin the other way, likely a large asteroid hit it with such force it made the planet spin the other way. Though I personally think it just developed that way.

The guys wrong about asteroids, it's not asteroids it's comets. Comets are made up of ice and rock and have processes going on inside them that create the big tail. Asteroids are just lumps of rock floating in space.
They think life is created in comets because comets contain ice (water) and there's processes going on (that create the tail), plus comets travel in large orbits and pass many planets.
It's interesting to think that all life (potentially all life in the whole universe) descends from comets.

They tell me I'm the shit, I'm like 'duh...'
[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
19-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Oh how I love Neil deGrasse Tyson's ability to make everything seem engaging and inspiring.

I bet he could read the assembly + maintenance book for my lawnmower and make it interesting!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-09-2012, 12:44 AM
(19-09-2012 11:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I thought it was common knowledge that water was once on Mars?
There is a canyon bigger then the grand canyon (by a lot I believe, and note that Mars is smaller then earth) that could have only been made in the same way.

Not disagreeing with your post as a whole, just pointing out that most scientists now agree that Vallis Marineris was formed by tectonic activity, a rift valley similar to the African Rift Valley or the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (which has different morphological characteristics due to being formed under an ocean).

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
20-09-2012, 06:24 AM
I will childishly admit that it would give me great joy to find other intelligent life out there just to see the religious squirm when the aliens go "Jebus who? Allah who?"
20-09-2012, 08:26 AM
(20-09-2012 12:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 11:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I thought it was common knowledge that water was once on Mars?

Not disagreeing with your post as a whole, just pointing out that most scientists now agree that Vallis Marineris was formed by tectonic activity, a rift valley similar to the African Rift Valley or the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (which has different morphological characteristics due to being formed under an ocean).

Interesting.

I was under the impression that Mars does/did not have plat tectonics? That is how the giant volcano was able to form because plat tectonics don't shift and move etc.. and so everything just builds up.

They tell me I'm the shit, I'm like 'duh...'
[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
20-09-2012, 08:32 AM
(20-09-2012 08:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Interesting.

I was under the impression that Mars does/did not have plat tectonics? That is how the giant volcano was able to form because plat tectonics don't shift and move etc.. and so everything just builds up.

This came out a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...155831.htm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Nice comment about having a conversation with a worm.

It reminds of how Zaphod Beeblebrox teased Authur Dent for being an ape-man.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post