Life satisfaction out of 10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2016, 03:18 PM
RE: Life satisfaction out of 10
(13-09-2016 03:06 PM)Fireball Wrote:  8.5 since retirement. Before that, I'd have given it a 3. Assholes abounded where I worked. In fact, one guy had a poster in his office that said, "If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport!". I had a long 47 mile commute (my fault) through some of the worst traffic in the US (405 FWY through the Sepulveda Pass, anyone?) and tons of overtime due to the management keeping head count low, and squeezing more and more out of the existing work force. Dropping all the money I could into the 401(k) plan allowed me to retire at 62. My life time would be drastically shorter, had I worked until 65, I am convinced.
Yup, making me redundant at 59.5 was the best promotion my company ever gave me, boosted my then rating from about 3 to 10!. That cleared my mortgage and I took my company pensions at 60 with the lump sum option. State pension doubled my income at 65. Got more money in the bank now than I had then.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
13-09-2016, 03:38 PM
5/10
Ten years or so ago, I would probably have put it at around a 8-9. My career was progressing nicely, I had a very nice home with money in the bank, a stable marriage with two beautiful daughters (one being a newborn), and I was blissfully ignorant of how quickly all of that could change. But, I guess the mid-life crisis set in and since that time my satisfaction with life had been steadily declining. My career seemed to have gone into stall and my marriage began to disintegrate. Around February of this year it had probably fallen to something like a 2 and was heading to 0 quickly. In March, I finally left a marriage that had been cold and lifeless for last few years and I met someone new that has brought me new hope. Things are looking up, but I likely won't get past the mid-point on the scale again until this divorce is over and I have managed to rebuild my relationship with my daughters.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
13-09-2016, 07:49 PM
9/10

Since leaving Christianity I have lost so much of the guilt and shame that burdened me for too many years. I left a shitty marriage and have a wonderful relationship with a man who respects and loves me for me. Life is good. Smile

Only way it could get better is if I had chocolate right now. Oh wait... Consider we do have chocolate. Big Grin

[+] 7 users Like Escape Artist's post
13-09-2016, 08:41 PM
(13-09-2016 07:49 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  9/10

Since leaving Christianity I have lost so much of the guilt and shame that burdened me for too many years. I left a shitty marriage and have a wonderful relationship with a man who respects and loves me for me. Life is good. Smile

Only way it could get better is if I had chocolate right now. Oh wait... Consider we do have chocolate. Big Grin

NEEDS MOAR CHOCOLATE.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
13-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm currently at about 4.
13-09-2016, 10:52 PM
0 isn't low enough.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-09-2016, 12:04 AM
I'm gonna go with seven.

Sometimes 0.

Sometimes 10.

Life is a trip, and I'm in my mid thirties with two young kids and a wife that loves me beyond all hope. My oldest is six and has discovered the complex adventure of being an asshole to those that love you most. We're currently trying to figure out the best way to deal with him without the need for a shallow grave in the backyard. The three year old is quirky and intelligent as shit and is usually a blast but has a penchant for ear splitting screams when he doesn't get his way. They are both cute as shit and that is their saving grace.

My job is mentally taxing and time consuming and I've got an alcohol problem that it exacerbates, but I've got a good grasp on what I need to do to get better I just need to buckle down mentally. It doesn't help that we just bought a second vehicle and a house. The mortgage does not play well with my blood pressure, which I should have checked out but I fucking hate going to the doctor so I'm trying to figure that out on my own as well.

But I love our new place, and my family.

I'm so much more confident in my worldview as a skeptic now than I was as a believer, even if it means I'm uncomfortable at family gatherings with my father who is a preacher and mother who is way more religious than he is. The closet is where I'll stay until a time comes that I can't hide there anymore.

Life is a give and take. I'm in the shit right now. Ask me again in ten years. But all in all I love it. I hope I'm here for longer than I deserve.

I give it a seven...with the hope that in the end it'll average out to at least an eight.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
14-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Hi,

I would like to thank everyone for replying so clearly to the OP question. I have asked the same question on a mental health support forum and the results were markedly different overall. Please note that I am not sharing any information outside the TTA, this was purely a personal question.

It has been good to see some numbers above 8. Thumbsup

D.
[+] 3 users Like Dworkin's post
15-09-2016, 08:18 PM
7.5/10. I have an excellent job but not much saved for retirement yet, so I'll be hanging in there for a few more years. Fantastic hobbies (music, writing, and if there's room I'll be signing up for an Icelandic course next week).

Not happy about My right knee, 'tho. Seeing a doctor for it next week and hoping to get some relief without major surgery.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2016, 08:23 PM
3.5/10

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.