Life updates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2015, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2015 11:32 PM by Hafnof.)
Life updates
Feel free to dump other life updates in this thread. I'm just going to ramble for a bit about things that have been going on in mine.

I'm sitting in an Auckland hotel waiting to make contact with a co-worker who has been on the night shift. I just got in today and what do you know - the SIM card I was expecting to use to keep in touch with everyone doesn't fit in my new phone. It's raining outside so and will continue to do so until I head home Wednesday afternoon, so I'm not really in the mood to go wandering looking for a phone shop to sort it out.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to myself of late. That which I have had I have been dedicating to trying to make progress on my current open source project[1]. I'm just starting to reach the point where I'm wondering which step to take next to develop it. I should probably do some of the more boring items in my todo list before adding new features but new features are more fun. I haven't done a video covering my latest release so I should get around to doing that as well.

My working life has been on somewhat of a downward turn. This last week eight of my compatriots were made redundant leaving five of us behind. This wasn't the first round of redundancies either. On Wednesday we drank to what is probably the closest thing to the official end of a product we have been working on together, some of us for more than a decade. None of us are deeply shocked and its end has been brought about primarily by internal political boundaries within the company we now find ourselves within. The markets we used to sell into have been sectioned off from us and our own "local" market where we have never really delivered into previously isn't really big enough to sustain our work. Everyone has acted reasonably and I'm not too upset about it. Seeing a capable team broken up is pretty disappointing though, and also finding my name not on the list puts me in the awkward position of being one of the few people keeping the lights on for a dead product - just supporting existing projects rather than breaking new ground. I would have preferred to go than stay in that circumstance and I may still go by the end of the year. It's hard to step out on one's own though when it means likely giving up a redundancy payout of more than a year's salary Wink

My boss of more than fifteen years was made redundant as part of this latest round, and it's his loss I think I will be feeling the most going forwards. He was absent from the company a little while back due to illness and I was ready to leave on my own at that point. He came back and I agreed to support him in a significant upgrade to the product. I agreed both to roll the dice to see whether the product could become politically viable again and also to help myself and a number of others around me to spruce up their resumes by working with some more current technology. I think those going out into the marketplace this week will be more employable for my efforts in that regard so I see that as a success.

My family is going well, or as well as one can expect. My kids are doing well at school. My son who has been struggling with it all is starting to come out of his shell and see the value in actually working on things the teacher asks him to do. He'll be a while before he's up to the standard of his sister's work but both are smart kids who can do anything they set their minds to. Lego has helped my youngest's confidence quite a lot and that has been overflowing into his school work and other activities.

I have two surviving grandmothers both living a fair distance from me - in Sydney. I'm starting to wonder if my children will see either one again. My maternal grandmother is 97 and frail. She has been waiting and wanting to die for years now. She doesn't really know what is going on most days. My paternal grandmother is a little younger but also has dementia and suffers from audio hallucinations. My wife's grandmother is starting to head down that road also. My parents are still doing well and I think my wife's mother and stepfather are also but that mother in law of mine is somewhat at the crazy end of the religious spectrum so sometimes it is hard to know whether it is the religion talking or whether her medications have been ineffective.

I still have my best craziest theist friend on facebook. Some in my family think I should just drop him off my friends list, but I like to keep him there. Just by turning up and spouting his views makes a better case than I ever could on topics such as marriage equality. He proves that people such as himself exist and need to be countered and I think is useful for shaking centrist individuals out of their apathy on such topics. Besides, his crazy feeds into that of my mother in law so I do like know what he is spouting on a given subject.

Hrrm.. what else? My daughter found a nice spider in her room last night. By no means the biggest I've seen but probably the biggest I've personally caught and released[2][3]. We measured its leg span at 9cm. Its actual body was around 2.5cm long. I expect the builders at the construction site where I released it will just kill it on sight but I figured it at least had a chance at life there. It had already lost it's second-front leg on its left side poor thing. I'm pretty sure it didn't come in the window it was sitting nearby and suspect it has been roaming the house at night for a while.

Anyway I'll sign off now. Have a good one all.

[1] http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ding-leave
[2] Warning: Spider picture.
[Image: 11800422_10206340336003152_6288182476486954598_n.jpg]
[3] Warning: Another spider picture.
[Image: 11745917_10206340436725670_5960536400821248503_n.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
26-07-2015, 12:56 AM
RE: Life updates
That spider's a cutie!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-07-2015, 01:08 AM
Do y'all have wolf spiders down there?

My life -- my son's visiting from SoCal for a month. We've had a great time together, going up to D/FW to ride roller coasters Thursday -- what a blast! -- and today he learnt to change the oil in a vehicle. He was kind enough to cook chicken for my dinner tonight while I was at work, too, a boneless chicken breast. I'm eating chicken-and-spinach salad that is just lovely thanks to him. Next week we'll go to Fredericksburg and visit the Pacific War Museum there, or go hike Dinosaur Valley State Park, haven't decided which.

I'm still working too many hours.

I'm still smarting from a recent breakup, and spent much time at work tonight thinking about what I did wrong, which was plenty. I hate regrets.

All-in-all, eight out of ten on the I love life scale.

Thanks for listening, and have peace, y'all.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2015, 01:14 AM
Yeah, it some nice markings that didn't show up in the picture. It closely resembled this spider here:
[Image: Huntsman33.jpg]
http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_...ntsman.htm

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
26-07-2015, 01:21 AM
Ah, the larger pic is showing up in link. Pretty spider.
26-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Some thoughts on TTA. I suddenly realized yesterday, after having been a member here for two years, that this site is simply another type of soap opera. EEK. Can this be true?

Sure, I log in to see new threads and topics, but damned if I don't get caught up in people's lives and personalities. There are a few things that are missing, like is someone having someone else's baby. But then is KC lost in the swamps? How is Banjo doing? Will Nurse find love again? Is Muffs out to lunch?

I tune in to find out.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-07-2015, 08:54 AM
(26-07-2015 08:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Some thoughts on TTA. I suddenly realized yesterday, after having been a member here for two years, that this site is simply another type of soap opera. EEK. Can this be true?

Sure, I log in to see new threads and topics, but damned if I don't get caught up in people's lives and personalities. There are a few things that are missing, like is someone having someone else's baby. But then is KC lost in the swamps? How is Banjo doing? Will Nurse find love again? Is Muffs out to lunch?

I tune in to find out.

You must have missed Hobbit and Near's addition to the forum. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
26-07-2015, 08:55 AM
It is very much like a soap opera.