Light Sail ready for launch and Planetary TV

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Light Sail ready for launch and Planetary TV
http://sail.planetary.org/

The sail that moves itself and objects it pulls forward by the power of light is ready for a test run! Pretty awesome stuff I would say! For those who don't know about the light sail, read up on it and check it out on the link above, its really cool!

Also, some videos to check out.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-04-2015, 04:48 AM
RE: Light Sail ready for launch and Planetary TV
I've thought about this idea for some time. I'm sure it would work - as long as you wanted to travel directly away from the sun. Tacking or jibing will be problematic - as you don't have a "keel" with which to determine a line of travel.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Great to see an experiment such as this getting 'real'.

As for 'Tacking' or 'Jibbing'. I think they've worked out a way to 'tack as it were. But other than actually looking fo a wiki type referance I've now idea how they figured out such a maneuver.

Still, again, great to see the physical side of the science. Big Grin

Much cheers to all.
03-04-2015, 09:02 AM
(03-04-2015 08:49 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Great to see an experiment such as this getting 'real'.

As for 'Tacking' or 'Jibbing'. I think they've worked out a way to 'tack as it were. But other than actually looking fo a wiki type referance I've now idea how they figured out such a maneuver.

Still, again, great to see the physical side of the science. Big Grin

Much cheers to all.

On a sailboat - you're able to control direction by use of a rudder -- by inducing drag as a force to port or starboard.

You're able to travel in directions perpendicular to the wind's travel - including INTO the wind - by the drag induced by the keel. If you don't have a keel- you tend to drift sideways - with the wind. The less keel, the more pronounce the drift.

In space you have a couple of ways of exerting force in 3 dimensions - either by use of vectored thrust (small rockets) or by gyroscopic forces.

You don't have any other way of inducing a drag perpendicular to the force (photon strike) being exerted on your sail to propel you in a direction other than direction of force. I guess you could use continuous thrusters - but it seems you'd do better to dump the "sail" as added mass and just use rocket thrust.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post