Light pollution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 11:32 PM by Vosur.)
Light pollution
So I happened to be awake at about 2 a.m. the other day and I stepped outside and looked at the sky. At that moment I was painfully reminded of the consequences of living in a civilized area. Light pollution is a shame. It makes it impossible to see and appreciate the incredible beauty of our universe. When I looked it up and saw the pictures of the night sky at places with little to no light pollution, I almost thought that they were fake.

Here's a good example to show the difference between the two.

[Image: Light_pollution_It%27s_not_pretty.jpg]
The problem is, I don't even get to see as much as on the right picture. I could easily count the number of stars that I get to see. I hope that one day, I will be able to see a crystal clear night sky myself, that'd be awesome.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2012, 07:54 PM
RE: Light pollution
We are very near Dallas...bright lights, big city. But in a small town (although it's growing) that was a little railroad town. We live in one of the original housing developments.

Very cool to float around in the pool at night and look up at the sky. Where we are it's a pretty good view.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
24-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow, that's a HUGE difference!

When I visit my friends in the country I love gazing into the night sky as it's so clear and stunningly beautiful.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-07-2012, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 09:28 PM by SlipStitch.)
The only time I ever came close to seeing the night sky in its full glory was when I lived in a tiny little town. We were 10 miles away from said town, but the light pollution from the town, the city that was about 45 minutes away, and the lights in the neighbors' yards, as few as they may have been, were enough to block out the full splendor of the sky. My husband did get a chance to see it for all its beauty once, though, after Hurricane Katrina, when all the lights for miles and miles were out because there was simply no power. I'm so jealous of him... I was upstate about 200 miles away where they did have power at the time. He had to stay behind because he worked for the police department.

I live about 20 minutes away from downtown Minneapolis now. I can barely see the stars at all...

It's one of my greatest wishes to be able to see the night sky without the hindrance of light pollution. I hope that I'll be able to see it, if only once, before I die.
[+] 1 user Likes SlipStitch's post
25-07-2012, 05:53 AM
I have the milky way out my window, but you can't really see it with the naked eye without getting out of the city.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-07-2012, 07:44 AM
I keep seeing that left picture all the time. Yes, light pollution sucks, that is why I don't like living in the city. Long live the countryside!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Folks - join the International Dark Sky Association!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user