Lightning strikes from out of the blue, taught me a lesson- God wasn’t true!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Lightning strikes from out of the blue, taught me a lesson- God wasn’t true!
Is there a more stereotypical way of dying from God’s vengeance than being struck by lightning?
I thought it would be interesting to look up some statistics on lightning strikes to see what we could learn about the randomness of events in the world.
The good news is that we are not being struck as often by lightning anymore, to quote from this article:

Almost No Americans Die From Lightning Strikes Anymore—Why?

“Measured on a per person basis, the decline in lightning deaths over the last century is staggering, falling from about 3 or 4 annual deaths per million Americans, to fewer than 0.1 in recent years.”

The reason given for this? The experts seem to agree that modernization and urbanization have led to this decline. If you’re not out in a field with a pitchfork, but instead, are in an urbanized area inside a house or building with good grounding, you generally are not going to be hit by lightning.

Understanding the mundane, yet scientific explanations for this makes sense. What if we were a flaming fundamentalist and wanted to interpret lightning strikes on people by intelligent agency; AKA, God?

I would immediately be vexed, because America was much more religious in the early 1900’s than it is now, but God isn’t killing people off like he used to with lightning strikes, but being the good fundie that I am, I will dig a bit deeper and find an explanation.
I take a look at this chart:

[Image: 7630f1fc2.jpg]

It’s clear that a big drop in lightning strike deaths occurred around World War 2, and what did America do in this time? They beat the Nazi’s back and saved the Jewish people of course! No wonder God doesn’t kill that many with lightning strikes anymore! He is telling us “Well done my good and faithful servants!” It’s right there in the stats! God is real!!!

Does that seem lame? Ok, how about this:

Suffering seems random, it’s so hard to pin it down to intelligent agency, but we must come up with an explanation for suffering, but at the same time match the random unintelligent nature of a phenomenon. I know, how about human choice? Yes, the randomness of human choice can explain the random, but God created, lightning. People chose to stop working on farms and moved to safer places to live and work.
If someone happens to be a sinner, (100% of the population) and gets struck by lightning, we can claim it was due to their sin or if it's uncomfortable to blame someone innocent, we'll blame the devil! This a win-win from an ideological point of view, it is a non-falsifiable excuse-generating viewpoint that props up my religious beliefs.

This is not proof that any intelligent agency exists; it’s simply proof for a basic flaw in one’s capacity to reason, proof of a person wanting to believe in something whether it’s true or not.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2014, 05:06 PM
RE: Lightning strikes from out of the blue, taught me a lesson- God wasn’t true!
We do not die from lightning strikes for 3 good reasons.

1. Awareness - We are far more aware of the dangers of lightning. As well as having a much better understanding of how and where lightning strikes. We have weather forecast, so we are able to know about lightning in advance and be able to be prepared for it.

2. Prevention - Our cars are no longer carts. Our shoes are no longer plain leather and now have rubber soles instead of cloth or wood. We have lightning rods and lightning prevention towers to direct it away.

3. Protection - Back in those days, everything was open and exposed. Our towns had neighbors about 50 feet or more from you as for the houses and in some cases, your next neighbor was a quarter mile. Today, houses are built slammed next to each other and everything is cluttered with houses, street lights, lamps, planted trees, sky scrappers, cars, towers. It is the equivalent to saying that lightning is not hitting you because god is the answer when you are trying to compare the people being struck by lightning between a group of people out in an open wet field to a group of people who are in the middle of a heavily forested red wood forest, surrounded by dry wood...sure...fire might be a problem if sparks get down there, but you have so much protecting you....you basically do not need to worry about shit.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply