Lightsail Kickstarter - Donate Today!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: Lightsail Kickstarter - Donate Today!
(19-05-2015 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Cannot direct the force of light particles hitting by having an angled sail? Re-radiate light and change direction like below:

' \ travel in direction perpendicular to sail
'----photon before impact------>--->----\
' | \ angled light sail
' |
' | re-radiated photon

Is just talking out my ass but seems like it could work to me?

EDIT: FUCK! Why no spaces? Fuck! Fuck! DeepThought! Foiled again! Waaaa Sadcryface

I understand what you're trying to say.

I suppose it's possible to impart some directionality perpendicular to the energy source's direction of travel -- but if it did work - it'd be very limited --- and still, you'd never be able to travel back towards the sun. It'd be always outward -- not like a sailboat, which can work back in towards the wind.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 09:12 AM
(19-05-2015 08:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Cannot direct the force of light particles hitting by having an angled sail? Re-radiate light and change direction like below:

' | \ angled light sail
' |
' | re-radiated photon

EDIT: FUCK! Why no spaces? Fuck! Fuck! DeepThought! Foiled again! Waaaa Sadcryface

I understand what you're trying to say.

I suppose it's possible to impart some directionality perpendicular to the energy source's direction of travel -- but if it did work - it'd be very limited --- and still, you'd never be able to travel back towards the sun. It'd be always outward -- not like a sailboat, which can work back in towards the wind.

But then you could e.g. paint one side of the sail black and the other silver... so to go from star A to B you point the relevant side of the sail at star A and to go back you reverse it..., using star B's light to power you instead of star A.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-05-2015, 10:30 AM
(19-05-2015 09:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 08:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I understand what you're trying to say.

But then you could e.g. paint one side of the sail black and the other silver... so to go from star A to B you point the relevant side of the sail at star A and to go back you reverse it..., using star B's light to power you instead of star A.

I don't think I'm going to live quite that long -- but, here's to hoping you know something I don't.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-05-2015, 11:43 AM

' | \ angled light sail
' |
' | re-radiated photon

I think all that would accomplish would be to impart spin to the craft.

The momentum of the light is directional and I don't think that the angle it impinges the sail is at all important.
Our intuition on this is based on our experience of an environment with friction between craft and surroundings.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-05-2015, 11:50 AM
(19-05-2015 11:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  

' | \ angled light sail
' |
' | re-radiated photon

I think all that would accomplish would be to impart spin to the craft.

The momentum of the light is directional and I don't think that the angle it impinges the sail is at all important.
Our intuition on this is based on our experience of an environment with friction between craft and surroundings.

If one can control the direction of the light radiated *away* from the craft (whether by angling the sail, colouring parts of it differently or some other clever method...) - thinking of the light as being analogous to a rocket exhaust - then one can control the direction of the craft as a whole surely?

You're right though, lack of intuition - especially the frictionless environment - is a problem - really all I'm doing is half-assed speculation...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Moves away from sun with sail.
Moves towards sun with gravity?
Changes direction with a small reserve for rockets? Or some type of ion drive?
19-05-2015, 03:24 PM
I do hope it works......

I love sailing. Getting somewhere, without fuel...... I've owned several sailboats.

My SO works at one of the local marinas. If we get a boat we get free slip with electric hookup - and indoor winter storage.... One of the perks of working there.....

We're seriously considering it...

19-05-2015, 10:19 PM
(19-05-2015 03:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I do hope it works......

I love sailing. Getting somewhere, without fuel...... I've owned several sailboats.

My SO works at one of the local marinas. If we get a boat we get free slip with electric hookup - and indoor winter storage.... One of the perks of working there.....

We're seriously considering it...

[Image: justdoit.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2015, 07:22 AM
(15-05-2015 05:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm stumped as to how they can go any direction other than directly away from the sun...

Can anybody explain that???

I am no expert on the field, but as I understand it you angle the craft so that the light reflected of the sail gives some thrust countering the direction you are orbiting, that reduces your orbital energy, and the gravity of the sun pulls you down.
20-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Where will they get the dilithium crystals?

Huh

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post