Liking the TTA Facebook Page

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Liking the TTA Facebook Page
I did it. I now officially like the TTA FB page. We will see if my FB "friends" react to it. They are always sharing their Christian Right claptrap, so I'm not hiding anymore. As most of you know, I live in a deep-south church-on-every-corner state, and I'm a private person so this is a big step for me. I'm not typical of FB. I don't friend people unless I know them somehow in real life, and I'm guarded about who I friend, so most people there know or suspect I'm not religious. Anyhow, we will see what happens. Stay tuned...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like cjs's post
17-05-2013, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2013 08:19 PM by amyb.)
RE: Liking the TTA Facebook Page
Good luck on that. I just had another uncle defriend me last week. I'm not really broken up about that, though. People should really know better than to friend me if they are offended if I "like" atheist pages.

My biggest problem on FB is that a lot of people are dumb. I mean dumb and also unable to argue. They just throw insults, vomit out logical fallacies, and tell you how "offended" they are. not everyone, but a lot of people. This has caused me to lose a lot of respect for a lot of people in my life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
17-05-2013, 08:15 PM
I agree about people not being able to argue. Some post not only religious crap, but also urban legend crap, and I can't believe anyone could think it was true.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
17-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I feel like I liked a lot of people much better when I didn't interact with them as much, when I didn't know the stupid shit they believed (like the urban legends and conspiracy theories).

I've had people email me and phone me just to say how offended they are. My reaction: "so what?" I can't control their emotions for them. I'm not sorry I like the things I do, but I am sorry they are so ill prepared for the real world, where people have different points of view than they do.

But on the bright side, I've also met good people through atheist FB pages, and kept in contact with good people.
17-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I hear you on the folks who, once you get to know them better, you wish you hadn't. I can't believe people phoned and emailed you. They're the ones who tell us we're bad/immoral/hellhound, etc., and they're offended?! Can you feel the Christian love LOL!

17-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Persecution complex. They look for reasons to be offended, then they just have to let the whole world know just how offended they are. I mean, I see lots of religious stuff on facebook, but I don't call them on the phone to say it offends me. I don't even comment on it, I mind my own damn business, or I hide their posts, or unfriend them.
17-05-2013, 10:42 PM
If I don't unfriend them, I'll just set their settings to "only important". That usually keeps their posts out of site and out of mind while still keeping them on the friends list if they are family or friends.

I had to remove one person who thanked god for their safe airline flight and refused to thank the pilot, the scheduled maintenance the plane receives, the mechanics who do the work, the inspectors who find the flaws, the test pilots who sometimes give their lives testing new airplane designs, the engineers who manufacture each and every part to a high degree of specification and a hundred more things that go into making a safe plane trip.

She said "God makes all of those things possible. Without god, none of those things could happen, so that's why I thank him instead of them. They are just the tools of his good work"

And that's when I unfriended the moron.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
18-05-2013, 12:05 AM
^Yeah, that's why I unfriended my cousin. The cousin's daughter just graduated college, made a status post, and ended it with "God is good." I was confused, did god do her homework and take the tests for her? When I graduated, I took all the credit myself.

I also have a "restricted list" that cannot see a good portion of my posts, if I think they can't handle anything that doesn't agree with their religious views or if I don't feel like arguing with them. Most of my relatives are on this list (my mom, my grandma, etc).
18-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Some of those people now are thanking god for the release of those captive girls in Cleveland. I'll bet if I post asking where god was during those ten years and how humans finally rescued them, I'd probably get some vitriolic replies. I'm not going to post on FB about that, but that's another example of crap people actually think it's ok to post in there.

[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
20-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I did the same a few weeks ago. Officially I'm still a closet atheist, and noone has commented on the like.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post