Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income
So I'm sitting around watching Cribs, seeing these talentless assclowns showing off their 20 cars and their imported marble kitchen tables that cost more than I pay for a year of rent and I wonder: would it really be wrong to impose a cap on how much money one person can possess?

I see it as analogous to having 8 lifetime's worth of oxygen tanks and the rest of us are gasping for air. Sure, it's not OUR oxygen but you can't possibly use it all, so why are you wasting it? Nothing... and I mean absolutely NOTHING is worth the amount of money some people have. Even if you invented the cure for aids and cancer while saving an orphanage from a fire, that isn't worth the 50 million you make a year.

You don't NEED millions of dollars. While lots and lots of other people are struggling to keep a roof over their heads or feed their children, you are taking private jets to one of your several mansions. So I'm suggesting we impose a maximum income cap... say you can't possess more than 10 million dollars worth of belongings. That's being pretty generous. If you can't live with a measly 10 million dollars. then there is something wrong with you. Any revenue over 10 million would be collected and distributed to civilians with their tax returns, insuring that legal citizens would be the only recipients. You can even make the cap higher. 100 million dollar cap? A billion? That would still bring in 50 billion a person from the richest people. And billions of dollars being recirculated would certainly help the economy.

It just seems immoral to own several houses when most people struggle to pay mortgage on one.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
09-03-2012, 11:52 PM
RE: Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income
(09-03-2012 11:49 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So I'm sitting around watching Cribs, seeing these talentless assclowns showing off their 20 cars and their imported marble kitchen tables that cost more than I pay for a year of rent and I wonder: would it really be wrong to impose a cap on how much money one person can possess?

I see it as analogous to having 8 lifetime's worth of oxygen tanks and the rest of us are gasping for air. Sure, it's not OUR oxygen but you can't possibly use it all, so why are you wasting it? Nothing... and I mean absolutely NOTHING is worth the amount of money some people have. Even if you invented the cure for aids and cancer while saving an orphanage from a fire, that isn't worth the 50 million you make a year.

You don't NEED millions of dollars. While lots and lots of other people are struggling to keep a roof over their heads or feed their children, you are taking private jets to one of your several mansions. So I'm suggesting we impose a maximum income cap... say you can't possess more than 10 million dollars worth of belongings. That's being pretty generous. If you can't live with a measly 10 million dollars. then there is something wrong with you. Any revenue over 10 million would be collected and distributed to civilians with their tax returns, insuring that legal civilians would be the only recipients. You can even make the cap higher. 100 million dollar cap? A billion? That would still bring in 50 billion a person from the richest people. And billions of dollars being recirculated would certainly help the economy.

It's almost immoral to own several houses when most people struggle to pay mortgage on one.

It wouldn't work, not unless you did it on a global scale. If you didn't then people would just move somewhere else and that would probably have a negative impact on the economy making the situation worse for the worse off.

I also don't agree with the idea itself. If I was supplying a service or product that awesome that people were paying me billions of pounds for it then I'd be pretty pissed off at someone trying to take it from me, hell, I'd earned it.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
09-03-2012, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 12:29 AM by jackashflash.)
(09-03-2012 11:49 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So I'm sitting around watching Cribs, seeing these talentless assclowns showing off their 20 cars and their imported marble kitchen tables that cost more than I pay for a year of rent and I wonder: would it really be wrong to impose a cap on how much money one person can possess?

You don't NEED millions of dollars. While lots and lots of other people are struggling to keep a roof over their heads or feed their children, you are taking private jets to one of your several mansions. So I'm suggesting we impose a maximum income cap... say you can't possess more than 10 million dollars worth of belongings. That's being pretty generous. If you can't live with a measly 10 million dollars. then there is something wrong with you. Any revenue over 10 million would be collected and distributed to civilians with their tax returns, insuring that legal citizens would be the only recipients. You can even make the cap higher. 100 million dollar cap? A billion? That would still bring in 50 billion a person from the richest people. And billions of dollars being recirculated would certainly help the economy.

It just seems immoral to own several houses when most people struggle to pay mortgage on one.

This x1000. I have been saying this for years. There needs to be a maximum wage in this country! People are born greedy, and they cannot be trusted to stop themselves from simply accumulating wealth. The disparity between the rich and poor in the US is an epidemic. Nearly 1/6 of the people can't support their families in this country despite working full time jobs. The minimum wage in this country is a complete joke! Vacation time for the poor? HAH, doesnt fucking exist. Europeans get like 6 weeks paid time off even with shitty jobs, poor Americans work 364.25 days a year + Christmas!

And whats even more disgusting about this is there are channels like Faux News and other right wing media that just outright lies and distorts facts to make the poor blame the poor. Its those poor bastards own fault for being poor, they are obviously lazy!!! They should work 2 full time jobs and stop wasting their time sleeping at night. Why hell, like 95% of those poor bastards have a microwave!!! A fucking $20 microwave!!! Obviously they are doing just fucking fine!

(09-03-2012 11:52 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It wouldn't work, not unless you did it on a global scale. If you didn't then people would just move somewhere else and that would probably have a negative impact on the economy making the situation worse for the worse off.

I also don't agree with the idea itself. If I was supplying a service or product that awesome that people were paying me billions of pounds for it then I'd be pretty pissed off at someone trying to take it from me, hell, I'd earned it.
Whats the downside to that? Let them leave! They can't take all their shit with them.

Fuck that entitlement BS!! You got lucky, LUCKY, you didnt earn 1000000x more than you need to live on. Even if you were born some damn super genius, that is still just LUCK!
09-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Not sure about a cap, but it is wrong that people die from basic needs not being met. Something should be done about that and I think the responsibility hugely lies with people who have the power to help them , whether that is financially or in expertise.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
10-03-2012, 01:43 AM
(09-03-2012 11:58 PM)jackashflash Wrote:  Whats the downside to that? Let them leave! They can't take all their shit with them.

Fuck that entitlement BS!! You got lucky, LUCKY, you didnt earn 1000000x more than you need to live on. Even if you were born some damn super genius, that is still just LUCK!

The downside is that many of the wealthiest people in society have huge business empires which employ thousands of people. If they leave and take all their business with them then all those people are unemployed as well as all those millions of dollars now being in the economy of one of your competitors instead of your own, plus you now get nothing out of them in taxes which considering their huge earnings and most countries having a percentage system will still be a decent amount. I fail to see how that helps anyone (except market rivals).

Also it's not entitlement BS at all. If you can work your ass off and start a business that generates millions then you've earned it. And where's the cut off point, it's easy to point to people way above you and say they shouldn't have their luxuries but there are probably people way below you who would say the same about you. You got a mobile, a TV in your bedroom, a games console, you eat out sometimes, you've obviously got internet. I'm sure someone who can't afford food would think that you should give them up in order to feed his kids. I'm not saying I think you should, I don't. I'm just making the point that it's easy to look at the people above you and point the finger but if you were there then you might feel different. It's also easy to dismiss the people pointing up at you at the same time.

I think that the worst off need more help (in America anyway) but penalising success isn't the way to go about it.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-03-2012, 02:03 AM
How about no cap, but after they've earned their $10 million any remaining income is taxed at 100%.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-03-2012, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 02:32 AM by GirlyMan.)
(09-03-2012 11:49 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It just seems immoral to own several houses when most people struggle to pay mortgage on one.

I like to chalk it up to ignorance to give them the benefit of the doubt. ... Helps me sleep at night.

This is not my signature.
10-03-2012, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 03:07 AM by jackashflash.)
(10-03-2012 01:43 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 11:58 PM)jackashflash Wrote:  Whats the downside to that? Let them leave! They can't take all their shit with them.

The downside is that many of the wealthiest people in society have huge business empires which employ thousands of people. If they leave and take all their business with them then all those people are unemployed as well as all those millions of dollars now being in the economy of one of your competitors instead of your own, plus you now get nothing out of them in taxes which considering their huge earnings and most countries having a percentage system will still be a decent amount. I fail to see how that helps anyone (except market rivals).

Also it's not entitlement BS at all. If you can work your ass off and start a business that generates millions then you've earned it. And where's the cut off point, it's easy to point to people way above you and say they shouldn't have their luxuries but there are probably people way below you who would say the same about you. You got a mobile, a TV in your bedroom, a games console, you eat out sometimes, you've obviously got internet. I'm sure someone who can't afford food would think that you should give them up in order to feed his kids. I'm not saying I think you should, I don't. I'm just making the point that it's easy to look at the people above you and point the finger but if you were there then you might feel different. It's also easy to dismiss the people pointing up at you at the same time.

I think that the worst off need more help (in America anyway) but penalising success isn't the way to go about it.

Fuckem let them leave, they will still have to pay taxes before they go. Seize their assets too, just money they technically stole from the poor anyways.
I'd rather have an economic collapse, not that I think that would happen, than be owned in this plutarchy.

It is total bull shit.
Whether you are rich or poor is COMPLETELY based on LUCK. Nothing else! Its not because you worked hard or hard. Lots of people do that and still fail or just scrape by.

There is absolutely no way to justify having billions whilst some poor fuck is dying on the street. If you think there are, then you are fucking sick in the head. You are either completely brain washed, a fucking psychopath, or both.

A maximum wage doesn't penalize success. You can still make shitloads of money... I like how these right wingers always try to pretend the rich are so fucking delicate and helpless. Don't penalize the rich, don't make the rich pay taxes!!! The poor rich, boo the fuck hoo.
10-03-2012, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 03:13 AM by Logisch.)
Quote:It is total bull shit.
Whether you are rich or poor is COMPLETELY based on LUCK. Nothing else! Its not because you worked hard or hard. Lots of people do that and still fail or just scrape by.

First off I must disagree with the above statement. There are people out there who are born in very shitty circumstances who are entrepreneurial types who have gone great distances and made it large and did it because they pushed and worked hard and time after time have gone through their own business models and become very successful. I also know people who came from poverty who have worked their asses off and done great and been the first in their line of family to make 6 figures, hats off to them.

I realize some people get lucky as well and make it big. But not ALL wealthy people are just lucky. There are many who did it who found a niche market, others who targeted a specific market, others who play the market and some people that just get it. At the same I also understand that it's total luck as to what part of the world you are born in. You may get lucky and be born into a rich family, or you might be born into a poor family, a poor country or a rich country, etc etc... but at the same time, there are those who have reached far and gone great distances who were GREATLY against the odds. So I think to put "ALL" in the same bucket would be a great disservice and insult for some who have been very successful and worked hard to be there. I'm not saying it is fair for those who work their asses off who aren't wealthy, I'm simply saying I don't feel that is an entirely accurate statement.

I have mixed feelings about the super wealthy.

If you are lucky enough or skilled enough to accumulate such wealth, good for you. However, I think that if you do as such, it is only fair to give back. To do something to help. Some sort of help for those in need or who are not as lucky. Don't get me wrong, I'm a care guy, and if I had the money for such I'd probably have a car collection like Jay Leno. But at the same time I'd be happy to donate money to causes, help the needy, do my part and give back as it would only be fair.

What disturbs me is that people who accumulate vast wealth get very greedy and do not wish to give back, or give extremely little, as if somehow letting go of that wealthy is impossible or would cause them great grief. But I think that's what happens with any sort of obsession. You become so engrossed in it that you actually feel like you're being greatly inconvenienced if you don't experience that feeling.

People like bill gates who have made BILLIONS but given back tons and tons of money, donated and actually given money to organizations to help, those are the people I can respect with wealth. They do something with it. For the people who spend it all on luxuries and never give back. Well... It is their money, I suppose they can do what they want, but it just seems wrong to me that another human being would never want to give back.

Or perhaps... another idea. What if a cap up to x amount and then anything after requires you to give to charitable causes to avoid tax x? I think people would be far more generous towards their fellow man that way. I have a few friends who have made it very far at very young ages, but they have been awesome enough to give back and for that I respect them. I have also seen other people who are so obsessed with themselves and their income that they have total tunnel vision and don't see that they could actually make a difference in the world with that income. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, absolutely, but also realize that you're in a position to help others as well. Just my own $.02 take it or leave it, don't care.
10-03-2012, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 03:24 AM by jackashflash.)
(10-03-2012 03:08 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I have mixed feelings about the super wealthy.

If you are lucky enough or skilled enough to accumulate such wealth, good for you. However, I think that if you do as such, it is only fair to give back. To do something to help. Some sort of help for those in need or who are not as lucky. Don't get me wrong, I'm a care guy, and if I had the money for such I'd probably have a car collection like Jay Leno. But at the same time I'd be happy to donate money to causes, help the needy, do my part and give back as it would only be fair.

I think that statement pretty much sums up the whole argument. If you had money you would waste it on a car collection the size of Jay Lenos. Then you would need to go even bigger, and get even more cares, and even larger garages, and so on and so forth. GREED! You actually only need one damn car!

People are greedy, its just a character flaw that the vast majority of us suffer from. So we cannot allow, and certainly not expect, people to control their own greed. Its just simply not going to happen. The people have to step in and put a stop to douchebags amassing wealth for the sake of amassing wealth.

Quote:First off I must disagree with the above statement. There are people out there who are born in very shitty circumstances who are entrepreneurial types who have gone great distances and made it large and did it because they pushed and worked hard and time after time have gone through their own business models and become very successful. I also know people who came from poverty who have worked their asses off and done great and been the first in their line of family to make 6 figures, hats off to them.
EVERYTHING in the universe is LUCK. Its all chance. So you can disagree till your blue in the face, but it wont change the fact you are dead wrong. That guy is just one of 7 billion that the stars aligned for and he made it the top of the pyramid. Some people's story might be slightly more interesting than simply inheriting their wealth, but does that make them anymore entitled? Not really, they both think they deserve it.

There is absolutely no way to justify having billions whilst some poor fuck is dying on the street. If you think there are, then you are fucking sick in the head. You are either completely brain washed, a fucking psychopath, or both.