Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
RE: Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income
(10-03-2012 07:55 AM)jackashflash Wrote:  They don't! No on is suggesting that the govt stop you from buying stupid shit.
Just that they put a limit on the greed.
The only problem is that "greed" and "stupid shit" are very relativistic terms.

It sounds like you might not want the state from stopping someone from buying stupid shit, but you might want the state to limit how much stupid shit you can buy before they step in and say you have too much of this stupid shit and need to distribute it to those who don't have any of this stupid shit.
Is that about right?

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 09:49 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
(10-03-2012 08:56 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 07:55 AM)jackashflash Wrote:  They don't! No on is suggesting that the govt stop you from buying stupid shit.
Just that they put a limit on the greed.
The only problem is that "greed" and "stupid shit" are very relativistic terms.

It sounds like you might not want the state from stopping someone from buying stupid shit, but you might want the state to limit how much stupid shit you can buy before they step in and say you have too much of this stupid shit and need to distribute it to those who don't have any of this stupid shit.
Is that about right?

It would be child's play to put a figure on maximum wage. Its not like it is a completely foreign idea without any basis whatsoever. Besides, we put an exact date on a fetus becoming a human, i think we can handle greed np.

And who cares how someone defines stupid shit? No one is trying to stop you from buying anything, stupid shit or not. Also, no one is limiting the amount of stupid shit they can buy, their income limits that, just like for everyone else.
10-03-2012, 09:35 AM
oh, another problem with caps on income, inflation... the problem with systems that try to control people behaviour is that eventually that same people outsmart them, that's why legislative inflation is a problem almost everywhere. The same would happen with something like this, someone somewhere will find a way to play it out for their own benefit Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
(10-03-2012 09:35 AM)nach_in Wrote:  oh, another problem with caps on income, inflation... the problem with systems that try to control people behaviour is that eventually that same people outsmart them, that's why legislative inflation is a problem almost everywhere. The same would happen with something like this, someone somewhere will find a way to play it out for their own benefit Sad

How would you outsmart a maximum income? Hire everyone in your family for the maximum wage? They already do that, except w/o the maximum wage part.
10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
(10-03-2012 09:52 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 09:35 AM)nach_in Wrote:  oh, another problem with caps on income, inflation... the problem with systems that try to control people behaviour is that eventually that same people outsmart them, that's why legislative inflation is a problem almost everywhere. The same would happen with something like this, someone somewhere will find a way to play it out for their own benefit Sad

How would you outsmart a maximum income? Hire everyone in your family for the maximum wage? They already do that, except w/o the maximum wage part.

I don't know we don't have a system for this so I can't imagine how it would be outsmarted.
The think id, as I said, if you just put a number for a maximum wage there would be inflation, or maybe deflation I don't know, the thing is, those who earn the maximum will drive the economy towards being able to buy superfluous things with that wage. So we would need a system to prevent this from happening, and when we start to complicate things the easier it gets to break those things.

10-03-2012, 01:09 PM
In Britain people get taxed at 50% on earnings over £150,000. I think that's pretty fair.

As far as the pay of people like actors and sportspeople goes I made a thread on this a few weeks ago and so if anyone wants to see my views they are here.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone a viable way of working this maximum income, how would you stop people just leaving the country to avoid it?

Also jackashflash, what do you? I've already asked if you have any luxuries in life, by your ideology you should be giving them up, do you do this or is you ideology for other people to follow but not yourself?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm going back to my original example.
I'm making a movie, and want to pay you $50M to star in it. You're saying the state should step in and tell me I can't pay you that, I can only pay you say $5M.
It's the same thing as if I choose to buy something for $50M, it's a private endeavor, not a public or state funded one.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
(10-03-2012 03:46 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  I'm going back to my original example.
I'm making a movie, and want to pay you $50M to star in it. You're saying the state should step in and tell me I can't pay you that, I can only pay you say $5M.
It's the same thing as if I choose to buy something for $50M, it's a private endeavor, not a public or state funded one.

... And say you want a particular, *really good* actor. Now you can only offer him 5M like every other director out there, so he's less likely to look at your movie.

OTOH I've been thinking about this a bit since BC's original post and I think he's got to be right - in this world of 7 billion people for some people *no matter how hard they've worked* to be treated this unequally... it's not right. Just because it seems difficult to find a workable system to replace the current one doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I mean seriously, *we're running out of resources* worldwide. *Everyone*'s lifestyle is gonna have to change sometime soon, if the predictions of oil crisis, global warming etc come right.

On the other hand... you could regard a billionaire philanthropist as being like a government of a small country. He only uses a small fraction of his income as living expenses, the rest is providing jobs for people, the money is *working*. Saying that he is the owner of that money is saying that he controls how it is spent, and as a shrewd businessman he spends it on schemes that will succeed and hopefully benefit many people. So perhaps taking money away from competent people who know how to use it well and giving it to politicians who's one common characteristic is irresponsible spending seems a bit risky.

Tough question BC.
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM

don't forget that this idea of putting a cap on income would limit private rights so it doesn't matter one thing is private or public.

10-03-2012, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 05:02 PM by mysticjbyrd.)

What kind of retarded example is this? I want to pay you 50 million dollars, but the damn govt won't let me!?!?

What world do you live in where that makes any amount of sense? What is the thought process here? 2+2 = Jelly Beans are yummy!!

No one wants to pay someone 50 million dollars to do anything, hell no one WANTS to pay anyone any amount for anything. People are more than contempt for getting things for free. No one WANTS to pay some dude 50 million dollars when they could pay him 5 million, thats stupid! Even if they WANTED to pay the dude that amount, he could simply give it to him under the table. Not sure how you could explain that to the IRS if you got audited, but w/e.

Lay the crack pipe down and turn of Faux News.

(10-03-2012 04:22 PM)nach_in Wrote:  

don't forget that this idea of putting a cap on income would limit private rights so it doesn't matter one thing is private or public.

It doesn't limit the privates rights anymore than a minimum wage. Maybe we should get rid of that too, and just bring back slavery. Ohh wait but that would limit the rights of the people even more.

You have the right to do whatever you want until it impedes on the rights of others. The mass accumulation of wealth by the lucky few most certainly impedes on the rights of the majority far more than it impedes on the rights of the few accumulating.