Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 08:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income
(10-03-2012 01:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  In Britain people get taxed at 50% on earnings over £150,000. I think that's pretty fair.
I'm still waiting to hear from someone a viable way of working this maximum income, how would you stop people just leaving the country to avoid it?

You don't impose a maximum income, you just progressively tax it more and more until they realize the idiocy and futility of their greed when they're only getting 10 cents on every dollar after some embarrassingly grandiose threshold. The top marginal income tax rates in the US were 70% or greater from post WWII through the mid 1980's.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
I have been preaching for an authoritarian utopia for the longest time. Capitalism/Democracy is inherently bad.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
10-03-2012, 08:24 PM
(10-03-2012 04:30 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 04:22 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 03:46 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  I'm going back to my original example.
I'm making a movie, and want to pay you $50M to star in it. You're saying the state should step in and tell me I can't pay you that, I can only pay you say $5M.
It's the same thing as if I choose to buy something for $50M, it's a private endeavor, not a public or state funded one.

don't forget that this idea of putting a cap on income would limit private rights so it doesn't matter one thing is private or public.

It doesn't limit the privates rights anymore than a minimum wage. Maybe we should get rid of that too, and just bring back slavery. Ohh wait but that would limit the rights of the people even more.

You have the right to do whatever you want until it impedes on the rights of others. The mass accumulation of wealth by the lucky few most certainly impedes on the rights of the majority far more than it impedes on the rights of the few accumulating.

Yes I'm aware of that, I was just trying to point out that there's a flaw in considering whether we're talking about private or public endeavours as the idea implies the modification of those principles in itself, otherwise it would be like saying "we can't change the law and give women the right to vote because the law says women can't vote" it's kind of a silly argument.

I wasn't trying to say rights shouldn't be regulated, sorry if I didn't convey the idea properly Confused

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
(10-03-2012 03:04 AM)jackashflash Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 01:43 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(09-03-2012 11:58 PM)jackashflash Wrote:  Whats the downside to that? Let them leave! They can't take all their shit with them.

Fuck that entitlement BS!! You got lucky, LUCKY, you didnt earn 1000000x more than you need to live on. Even if you were born some damn super genius, that is still just LUCK!

The downside is that many of the wealthiest people in society have huge business empires which employ thousands of people. If they leave and take all their business with them then all those people are unemployed as well as all those millions of dollars now being in the economy of one of your competitors instead of your own, plus you now get nothing out of them in taxes which considering their huge earnings and most countries having a percentage system will still be a decent amount. I fail to see how that helps anyone (except market rivals).

Also it's not entitlement BS at all. If you can work your ass off and start a business that generates millions then you've earned it. And where's the cut off point, it's easy to point to people way above you and say they shouldn't have their luxuries but there are probably people way below you who would say the same about you. You got a mobile, a TV in your bedroom, a games console, you eat out sometimes, you've obviously got internet. I'm sure someone who can't afford food would think that you should give them up in order to feed his kids. I'm not saying I think you should, I don't. I'm just making the point that it's easy to look at the people above you and point the finger but if you were there then you might feel different. It's also easy to dismiss the people pointing up at you at the same time.

I think that the worst off need more help (in America anyway) but penalising success isn't the way to go about it.

Fuckem let them leave, they will still have to pay taxes before they go. Seize their assets too, just money they technically stole from the poor anyways.
I'd rather have an economic collapse, not that I think that would happen, than be owned in this plutarchy.

It is total bull shit.
Whether you are rich or poor is COMPLETELY based on LUCK. Nothing else! Its not because you worked hard or hard. Lots of people do that and still fail or just scrape by.

There is absolutely no way to justify having billions whilst some poor fuck is dying on the street. If you think there are, then you are fucking sick in the head. You are either completely brain washed, a fucking psychopath, or both.

A maximum wage doesn't penalize success. You can still make shitloads of money... I like how these right wingers always try to pretend the rich are so fucking delicate and helpless. Don't penalize the rich, don't make the rich pay taxes!!! The poor rich, boo the fuck hoo.

haha... The only people saying it's luck are the ones without the skill or work ethic to do it themselves. Everyone I know that has money spent years in school and has worked their ass off.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
(10-03-2012 09:59 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Everyone I know that has money spent years in school and has worked their ass off.

And it seems to me I was damn lucky to even be in a position to do so. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
10-03-2012, 11:38 PM
(10-03-2012 09:59 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  haha... The only people saying it's luck are the ones without the skill or work ethic to do it themselves. Everyone I know that has money spent years in school and has worked their ass off.
The fact you are even alive was an infinitesimally small chance.

You could have been born with one of many debilitating childhood diseases. You could have been born to abusive parents. You could have been born in some 3rd world country during an ethnic cleansing.

Now consider all the things that happened in your life that made you, you. A lazy little white douche that grew up in a middle class suburb, and wouldn't know real work if it bit you in the ass. Your definition of work is driving the lawn tractor to cut the grass.

So yes, in this universe dominated by chance you were simply lucky. I am sorry, but that does not morally give you the right to have billions, whilst others starve and die in the streets.
[+] 1 user Likes jackashflash's post
10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
(10-03-2012 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The top marginal income tax rates in the US were 70% or greater from post WWII through the mid 1980's.

I'm still waiting for the trickle that Ronnie promised me was on it's way down to me. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-03-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm wondering still about this.

OK let's say we cap the rich.

Now a few years later, that cap starts to seem like quite a lot, so we move it down.

So we end up with a bunch of guys who've worked really hard to get money being forced to share the fruits of their labour with e.g. the guy down the street who just gets drunk all the time.

I have a bit of a problem with that.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Oy.... we're down to personal and unfounded personal attacks now.....

This is why I avoid political discussions.
Give me science any day.

It would be like 2 people arguing about the color blue. One guy says it's ugly and terrible and should be banned from being used. Another guy says it's the best color out there and should be used on everything.
The scientist comes along and says, the wavelength of blue is x and lays on this spot in the electro-magnetic spectrum. Wink

My solution....
Nuke religion, nuke politics, let real science run the world.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
11-03-2012, 02:43 PM
(11-03-2012 02:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'm wondering still about this.

OK let's say we cap the rich.

Now a few years later, that cap starts to seem like quite a lot, so we move it down.

So we end up with a bunch of guys who've worked really hard to get money being forced to share the fruits of their labour with e.g. the guy down the street who just gets drunk all the time.

I have a bit of a problem with that.

How can 2 people be dumb enough to give this 2 thumbs up? Do you have 3 accounts?

No one has suggested anywhere that we pay some dude a lot of money for laying around and just getting drunk. The same rules of capitalism still apply. Those who work hard can make it to the top.