Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2012, 02:51 PM
RE: Limited capitalism: a "you're too rich" cap on income
(11-03-2012 02:43 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  How can 2 people be dumb enough to give this 2 thumbs up? Do you have 3 accounts?

I'm moving thoughts around in my head. You're free to contribute but instead of saying "such and such is how I think" you just say "yeeerrs you're dumb".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2012, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 03:09 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(11-03-2012 02:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 02:43 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  How can 2 people be dumb enough to give this 2 thumbs up? Do you have 3 accounts?

I'm moving thoughts around in my head. You're free to contribute but instead of saying "such and such is how I think" you just say "yeeerrs you're dumb".

I hate to break this to you champ, but there is such a thing as a dumb comment. Not calling you dumb, but that last comment you made sure as hell was. Ohh and I did reply to your comment, but you didn't have a rebuttal, so you just decided to whip out a straw man.

Also, why do you even care if some drunk could make enough money to live on? How does it hurt you if a person could make a living, and spend his entertainment budget on alcohol? Why would this be a bad thing? Do you think it will increase the number of drunks?

Do you see how bad that comment was!
11-03-2012, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 03:12 PM by morondog.)
(11-03-2012 03:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I hate to break this to you champ, but there is such a thing as a dumb comment. Not calling you dumb, but that last comment you made sure as hell was.

Also, why do you even care if some drunk could make enough money to live on? How does it hurt you if a person could make a living, and spend his entertainment budget on alcohol? Why would this be a bad thing? Do you think it will increase the number of drunks?

I don't care if he *makes* enough money. What he does is his business. I care if I work hard to *pay* for him to drink. Yes?
Seems like we got off on the wrong foot here. I'll freely admit that I make dumb comments from time to time. It's part of how I learn stuff. If I'm too scared to look dumb that I only want to say clever shit then I'll never learn.

However, I would appreciate if in future, seeing as I don't think of myself as being impossible to teach, instead of just saying "Wow you're dumb", you'd provide some reason why, which I can then go all ballistic over you for Wink
11-03-2012, 03:12 PM
(11-03-2012 03:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 03:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I hate to break this to you champ, but there is such a thing as a dumb comment. Not calling you dumb, but that last comment you made sure as hell was.

I don't care if he *makes* enough money. What he does is his business. I care if I work hard to *pay* for him to drink. Yes?

People do that now. Often because their situation is hopeless. Why should they go out and work a minimum wage job that pays the same or less what they can make sitting around and doing nothing? That sense of hopelessness is why there are such drug problems in the US. That is why there is so much crime in the US. These people don't have better options. Even if you have a job, you can't support your family anymore.

You are blaming the problem of the problem, rather than the source of both problems.
11-03-2012, 03:21 PM
(11-03-2012 03:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  You are blaming the problem of the problem, rather than the source of both problems.

Um... apologies if I'm being dense. The source of the problem is... ? Rich people abusing power?
11-03-2012, 06:59 PM
(11-03-2012 03:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  People do that now. Often because their situation is hopeless. Why should they go out and work a minimum wage job that pays the same or less what they can make sitting around and doing nothing? That sense of hopelessness is why there are such drug problems in the US. That is why there is so much crime in the US. These people don't have better options. Even if you have a job, you can't support your family anymore.

You are blaming the problem of the problem, rather than the source of both problems.

Dude, you need to come and live in England for a while and see the other side of things. I have not doubt that America neglects it's poor but there is such a thing as too much welfare.

Over here it's now a career to have several children. Any couple who have loads of kids (I'm talking around 8+) get a mansion provided by the Government, a car that can transport them all and benefits that run into the tens of thousands (I'm speculating here but I'd say probably over £30,000). That's if they don't work, if they are working they get far less because it's felt they can pay for themselves. Would that encourage you to work?

I work in a supermarket and we've had several people join our workforce only to quit again within weeks because they actually got more money on benefits than they did doing a low-paid job.

That's the situation we have over here.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-03-2012, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 07:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-03-2012 03:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I hate to break this to you champ, ...

Back in my day, leading off with shit like that meant we was looking at a beatdown.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-03-2012, 08:35 PM
(11-03-2012 06:59 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 03:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  People do that now. Often because their situation is hopeless. Why should they go out and work a minimum wage job that pays the same or less what they can make sitting around and doing nothing? That sense of hopelessness is why there are such drug problems in the US. That is why there is so much crime in the US. These people don't have better options. Even if you have a job, you can't support your family anymore.

Dude, you need to come and live in England for a while and see the other side of things. I have not doubt that America neglects it's poor but there is such a thing as too much welfare.

Over here it's now a career to have several children. Any couple who have loads of kids (I'm talking around 8+) get a mansion provided by the Government, a car that can transport them all and benefits that run into the tens of thousands (I'm speculating here but I'd say probably over £30,000). That's if they don't work, if they are working they get far less because it's felt they can pay for themselves. Would that encourage you to work?

I work in a supermarket and we've had several people join our workforce only to quit again within weeks because they actually got more money on benefits than they did doing a low-paid job.

That's the situation we have over here.

That career exists in the US as well. There certainly needs to be child limit laws put in place across the globe.
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
(11-03-2012 03:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 03:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  You are blaming the problem of the problem, rather than the source of both problems.

Um... apologies if I'm being dense. The source of the problem is... ? Rich people abusing power?

The source of the problem is the disparity between the rich and poor. The poor can't even make enough money to live on anymore. Average wages for the poor haven't increased since like 1980, which is shockingly the same time we started Reaganomics.

Have you ever seen that movie, "Trading Places"? Essentially, a poor black man trades places with a rich white stock broker. The black guy makes an easy transition and as the film progresses becomes just as snobbish as the white guy concerning the poor. The white guy on the other hand goes crazy, bought a gun, does drugs, drinks cheap alcohol, and even steals some shit.

Well that movie isn't far from the truth.
12-03-2012, 01:14 AM
(11-03-2012 10:06 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  The source of the problem is the disparity between the rich and poor. The poor can't even make enough money to live on anymore. Average wages for the poor haven't increased since like 1980, which is shockingly the same time we started Reaganomics.

Have you ever seen that movie, "Trading Places"? Essentially, a poor black man trades places with a rich white stock broker. The black guy makes an easy transition and as the film progresses becomes just as snobbish as the white guy concerning the poor. The white guy on the other hand goes crazy, bought a gun, does drugs, drinks cheap alcohol, and even steals some shit.

Well that movie isn't far from the truth.

I have seen the glaring difference between rich and poor in my own backyard. I haven't seen the movie but I can well believe that it would exactly happen like that if a rich and a poor guy were to trade. I agree with you that something needs to be done about it, just... I don't know, taking away stuff that people have worked hard for seems like treating symptoms and not the cause. Maybe that is a solution but I'd like to explore alternatives as well.