Lingering Superstitions?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
08-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Lingering Superstitions?
Do you have any lingering superstitions? Avoid black cats? Don't open your umbrella indoors? Never stick tongue out at the back of the scary old lady you thought was a witch? Don't take coins from a dead man's pocket?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: Lingering Superstitions?
(08-08-2013 10:19 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Do you have any lingering superstitions? Avoid black cats? Don't open your umbrella indoors? Never stick tongue out at the back of the scary old lady you thought was a witch? Don't take coins from a dead man's pocket?

Superstitions? Nah. I always rob the shit out of every corpse I come across!

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I still carry luck stones I know it doesn't work but they're pretty and I've had them since I was 10
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
08-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I have a weird aversion about stepping on the wheelchair symbol in handicapped parking spaces.
08-08-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 11:23 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I used to X out black cats when they crossed my path. My mother showed me how to do that as a child. I even did it after becoming an atheist. It was more "muscle memory" than an actual fear of black cats. I caught myself doing it one day and forced myself to stop.
08-08-2013, 10:27 PM
(08-08-2013 10:26 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  I have a weird aversion about stepping on the wheelchair symbol in handicapped parking spaces.

R u afraid disability is catching?
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
08-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Are we talking superstitions that we actually give notice to, or just reflex reaction to circumstances? I still knock on wood all the time, but more to add flavor to a conversation than anything else.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Actually,i never agreed with many superstitions,even when i was religious,because my family could never say what would happen if you did it.
But i think that if you grew up believing it,even after you're an atheist,you're still avoiding/doing the thing,because it was part of your old routine.
I used to hate praying even when i was religious,and even when i told my parents that i wont pray anymore,i still find myself in the prayer room after i bathed sometimes and then realize "oh,wait. I dont do this shit anymore"

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
08-08-2013, 10:39 PM
(08-08-2013 10:37 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Actually,i never agreed with many superstitions,even when i was religious,because my family could never say what would happen if you did it.
But i think that if you grew up believing it,even after you're an atheist,you're still avoiding/doing the thing,because it was part of your old routine.
I used to hate praying even when i was religious,and even when i told my parents that i wont pray anymore,i still find myself in the prayer room after i bathed sometimes and then realize "oh,wait. I dont do this shit anymore"

May I inquire about this "prayer room"?

08-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Prayer room is where all the god idols are(hindus have a fucking lot of gods). Here is how i used to pray: take the vase(a brass urn if you like) fill with water,pour over the main idol while chanting random shit.
I used to do that in the morning when i was washed.

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping