Lingering Superstitions?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
17-08-2013, 08:32 AM
RE: Lingering Superstitions?
(08-08-2013 10:19 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Do you have any lingering superstitions? Avoid black cats? Don't open your umbrella indoors? Never stick tongue out at the back of the scary old lady you thought was a witch? Don't take coins from a dead man's pocket?
Yes, I do have a lingering superstition. I did not think of myself as a Christian since I was a small child. But there seems to be a deeply set belief in an omnipotent God. I didn't know about it. I don't believe in an omnipotent or personal God. But last year I found myself in a potentially very risky situation that might have gone very bad for my future plans (university admission). It didn't, but I was scared mind and I found myself invoking God, praying in my mind. In such a way that only an omnipotent God would make sense.
It is an additional unpleasantness that I'm not a proper atheist in foxholes, an agnostic at best. This stuff must be deep set and I'm not even baptized, dammit.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Re: Lingering Superstitions?
I purged most of my superstitions and nonsensical beliefs in ghosts, goblins, ghouls, monsters, alien visitations, big Foot, nessy, chupacabra, etc, in the years following my realization of atheism.

But some habits are both hard to break, and still useful. I don't open an umbrella indoors or walk under a ladder, but not for bad omens. Out of habit and practicality since the ladder could fall or the umbrella could poke someone.

I don't think I have any superstitions for superstitions sake anymore Consider

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
18-08-2013, 03:59 AM
My son recently asked me to say CANDYMAN in the mirror, I'll be honest I couldn't go through with it.

That man is nasty!
20-09-2013, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2013 11:20 AM by grizzlysnake.)
Don't think I have any superstitions left, the last one I did have was about ghosts. I largely blame that show ghost hunters and its numerous counterparts. I thought they were actually being scientific lol so embarrassing. I watched that fact or faked for a time to at that time it aired I knew ghosts were a sham and for the most part they thought so to. Thing I hate about that show is that when they do manage to disprove something they say something along the lines that it could also be true even if they disapproved. .ugh just had to stop when they took a full 30mins to disprove a flying witch video which was clearly a rag doll pulled up by a string.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
21-09-2013, 05:36 AM
I open umbrellas indoors and plan on bringing my Ouija board to college on blasphemy day, so at this point I poke fun at all stuperstions.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
15-02-2014, 05:52 PM
I used to believe in ghosts. In my defense I stopped believing in god at about age ten, so there were still quite a few years of me not being entirely rational.

I've also done a lot of theater, so among my acting friends you won't catch me dead saying "good luck" or "MacBeth" in a theater, although I have bucked superstition by using both real jewelry and real food on stage. My college had a lot of similar traditions and superstitions. It's not that anyone really believes that saying "MacBeth" will conjure witches or kissing on that one bench on campus will doom your relationship, we all just still followed it for fun.
21-02-2014, 09:38 AM
I have a few superstitious things I do that I don't really believe. However, I can't seem to stop. I knock on wood, say "bless you" (my mother hardwired polite responses into my brain), and always say "break a leg" instead of "good luck." I'll even admit to being iffy on ghosts. The strangest thing I do has to do with theatrical productions. I received a stuffed bunny as an opening night gift when I was a junior in high school. That night I had everyone touch the bunny for luck. I've done this in every production I've been involved in. On opening night, everyone has to touch the bunny. It's silly, but fun.

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87
21-02-2014, 09:42 AM
(08-08-2013 10:27 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I used to X out black cats when they crossed my path. My mother showed me how to do that as a child. I even did it after becoming an atheist. It was more "muscle memory" than an actual fear of black cats. I caught myself doing it one day and forced myself to stop.

I feel bad about the country I live in.
In America, black cats are unlucky, but on every other continent, they're lucky.
I feel that everyday it's just another stunt to boost patriotism.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-02-2014, 10:29 AM
(21-02-2014 09:42 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 10:27 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I used to X out black cats when they crossed my path. My mother showed me how to do that as a child. I even did it after becoming an atheist. It was more "muscle memory" than an actual fear of black cats. I caught myself doing it one day and forced myself to stop.

I feel bad about the country I live in.
In America, black cats are unlucky, but on every other continent, they're lucky.
I feel that everyday it's just another stunt to boost patriotism.

I hate that people are so superstitious about black cats. I went to adopt a kitten from a shelter and was introduced to my first cat. He had been born in the shelter and was just shy of one-year-old. All his litter mates had been adopted, but no one wanted to adopt a black cat. I knew immediately that he was meant to be my cat. The people at the shelter were so happy when I adopted him. When Bazil passes away, I see another black cat in my future.

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87
22-02-2014, 12:09 AM
I don't really have any proper superstitions that haunt me (per se) but I've noticed that I'm a little too biased towards the gambler's fallacy. Does that count? Wink

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days