Lingering Superstitions?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-02-2014, 12:38 AM
RE: Lingering Superstitions?
(22-02-2014 12:09 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I don't really have any proper superstitions that haunt me (per se) but I've noticed that I'm a little too biased towards the gambler's fallacy. Does that count? Wink
Whatever floats your boat like I guess
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2014, 12:34 AM
I was never superstitious because I knew that was against my faith, I only believed bullshit from church, I was always afraid of the dark and still am. I don't know why because I don't longer believe in anything supernatural.
it makes me feel kind of like a fake atheist.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes netninja's post
21-04-2014, 01:20 AM
(21-04-2014 12:34 AM)netninja Wrote:  I was never superstitious because I knew that was against my faith, I only believed bullshit from church, I was always afraid of the dark and still am. I don't know why because I don't longer believe in anything supernatural.
it makes me feel kind of like a fake atheist.

I am also afraid of the dark. I always sleep with my light on. Every night. I am not ashamed. I know there's no bogey man. But I just hate the dark.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
21-04-2014, 01:35 AM
I have experienced no problems taking coins from a dead man's pockets, count up to 148 by now.

No lingering superstitions here.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
11-05-2014, 11:39 PM
I have lingering gambling superstitions, haha. At the craps table, never say "seven". Actually, don't even think it. If the dice leave the table after a shitty throw, I'm picking up my bets for the next throw.
26-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Laughing at blasphemous jokes and cartoons, sometimes I think 'wow gods gonna be so pissed, hes gonna smite my ass for this one...wait there is no god.' And then its just that much better.

When I worked in the emergency department, we would all freak when a patient or another coworker said the "s" word... slow. Thats just asking for trouble.
04-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Not really superstitions but there are habits that are based on them that I have.

1. Touching wood for luck - normally as part of rye humour...

2. Saying "Hello Mr Magpie how's your wife?". To see one magpie is supposedly unlucky so if I see one then I always say this. In this case it's more inherited as my mother says it, and her mother did as well. I suppose it's one of those odd family hand-me-downs...
04-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I have many, many of what most would call superstitions.

They don't interfere with my life, and don't detract from atheism, and sometimes they work which gives me more faith in them, so there you go.
28-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Sometimes when I'm going for a walk I pray some Our Father's or hail marys. When something good happens in life I sometimes thank God for it. If I were in front of a firing squad I'd say a prayer just to be on the safe side.