Lingering superstition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Lingering superstition
Just wanted to share a very intense experience I had a while back, in case there are others out there that might be grappling with any lingering vestiges of superstitious thought:
http://theunconverted.com/lingering-superstition/

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
15-08-2012, 10:18 PM
RE: Lingering superstition
You're right that the mind can make some crazy stuff seem very real.
A friend of mind, and no I'm not using a surrogate, told me a story of how he meet the devil while on a drug binge. I could clearly see the total fear in his face as he told the story. He was convinced that he was going to hell when he died because Satan told him so.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
16-08-2012, 08:38 AM
No doubt. Heck, we have folks on this forum that tell similar stories and believe similar things.

That's why I find a book like Shermer's "The Believing Brain" to be a key asset for skeptics interested in helping religious/superstitious believers see things from a different perspective.

I am the unconverted
16-08-2012, 08:48 AM
(15-08-2012 10:04 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  Just wanted to share a very intense experience I had a while back, in case there are others out there that might be grappling with any lingering vestiges of superstitious thought:

Good blog post, but at the end you say you wrote a song, and the YouTube page says "Original Music & Lyrics by Lightnin' Hopkins". Since Lightnin' Hopkins (Sam Hopkins) has been dead for 30 years, please explain? Are you using his name?
16-08-2012, 11:54 AM
(16-08-2012 08:48 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(15-08-2012 10:04 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  Just wanted to share a very intense experience I had a while back, in case there are others out there that might be grappling with any lingering vestiges of superstitious thought:

Good blog post, but at the end you say you wrote a song, and the YouTube page says "Original Music & Lyrics by Lightnin' Hopkins". Since Lightnin' Hopkins (Sam Hopkins) has been dead for 30 years, please explain? Are you using his name?

Thanks for the catch. Just fixed that. It's supposed to read "Original Music & Lyrics by Lightnin' Lives."

I'm a huge Lightning Hopkins fan, hence the name of my handle.

I am the unconverted