Lions and tigers and religion, oh my!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
RE: Lions and tigers and religion, oh my!
Ghost,

What you are saying makes a lot of sense to me, but I can't imagine getting that message to a generation who lives and breathes in one sentence talking-points.

Rule of thumb for the 21st century... If any idea is too long for one Tweet, the public will never understand it.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nontheocrat's post
02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I like that quote at the end.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey, nontheocrat.

But even understanding that is understanding the dynamic. George Orwell predicted that in 1948. That's what his Newspeak is all about. Purposefully simplifying things. That what propaganda does. That’s what Fox talking points do. It’s a powerful means of influencing people. But understanding it insulates us from its effect.

Information is so clipped for two reasons. 1 - Simple arguments are easier to spread than complex ones. 2 - There is so much information today, like in terms of raw bites of data, we're talking exobites these days and growing, gleaning is an important skill and keeping messages short means a higher likelihood of being heard.

People aren't stupid. If someone ever tries to convince you that people are stupid, don't trust them because they just called themselves stupid.

The idea that people can no longer understand complex arguments is ridiculous. Worse, the very notion of it is disempowering.

Understand that you said that in reaction to a 1 851 word, 10 679 character post (that’s 77 tweets). You seemed to get it and it is the 21st century sooooooooooo... buttons.

Now all of that being said, of course it's difficult to spread ideas. But that's life now isn't it? Challenge. But the idea that humans can’t grasp it anymore? Poppycock.

Let’s Tweetify this. @ erbody. The power dynamic is the relationship of authority, influence, coercion, context, memes and hierarchy. Don’t let em call u dumb! (138 characters)

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
LOL! So much for my feeble attempt at sarcasm!

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nontheocrat's post