Lip Hooks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 11:01 PM
RE: Lip Hooks
(14-12-2012 02:53 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  (Just wait 'til I tell Chas I'm gonna be splitting my tongue, too. lol)

So the date's been set for Tuesday. My sister wanted to get a single labret, but she's quickly having second thoughts. I'll admit, I'm feeling the butterflies now that I know the date (I've got this bizarre aversion to pierced flesh), but I'm also excited.

Lastly, I've just got one request for you all...

TALK ME OUT OF IT!
[Image: 6595_130527_20091206152840.jpg]

I'm trying.

Look, I think these are wacky ideas you are having. I don't have the faintest idea of the attraction of self-mutilation.

Wait one year. Think about it.

And splitting your tongue? Really?

I think I will amputate my baby finger and wear it on a necklace.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 06:12 AM
I have been thinking about it.

It's not the attraction of self-mutilation (that's actually the one draw-back), it's reaching the desired outcome. I have an odd affinity for altering what is in order to make it more artistic or expressive. There is one thing I share with the religious, and it's a love for theatrics. Mind you, it's not necessarily for display to others - I get creative with things no one will ever see - it's simply because I enjoy creating. Combine that with the fact that I have a particular fondness for the tabboo; the dark or unsettling, and it suddenly makes sense that I'd seek to make a subtle alteration to my face (which can be later hidden with the right application of cosmetics) so as to make it a little more dark or tabboo. I realize the point you've been making with fingers and teeth, but women thrust stainless steel fencing through their ears all the time and nobody bats an eye. But when I or someone else does it to their lip or eyebrow or nose; suddenly it's weird and absurd and nobody can grasp why in the name of fuck somebody would do it. (Granted, maybe you feel the same about women's earings. If so, I agree; it's bizarre behavior on the part of a self-sustaining animal like a Human. We're odd creatures, yes. But while you acknowledge and oppose such absurd behavior, I merely acknowledge while not necessarily opposing. Different strokes.)

And no, I'm not gonna split my tongue, ya grump. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
18-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Things came up; will be putting the endeavor on hold until they can be sorted out. Was very much looking forward to it, too.
Will update soon.

18-12-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm too scared of piercings getting caught on stuff to get any... and it would become a hindrance in my weekly battles with Magneto.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
18-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Fucking eww. No

I don't know why people put this gross-assed shit on their bodies. Angry

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-12-2012, 03:57 PM
(14-12-2012 03:08 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Blink ...............................lol, I'm still gonna! Tongue
If my latest attempt doesn't work, I don't know what will.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
18-12-2012, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2012 05:29 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
First, it's your body, do what you want. Pierce, mutilate, amputate (they call it "subtraction", right?), whatever. Your choice.

Remember I said that because in a minute you're going to think I'm a narrow-minded ignorant old prude, but I'm really not. I support your right to do as you wish with your body and I realize, rationally, that your doing so doesn't make you less of a person or less of anything, actually. I really do realize that.

That said, I find it all fairly silly. It seems to me that most of the people I know who have done stuff like this have admitted to me that they did it to stand out, to show the world that they are different, they don't have to play by the rules, they are individuals. Maybe that's not your thing, but your explanation about taboo and dark and chaos seems to align with that other stuff fairly well.

That's all well and good.

But you should know what the rest of the world thinks. Those of us who don't stand out, aren't different, do play by the rules, but yet are still individuals. Want to know what we think? I bet you don't, but you should at least consider it.

We mostly think you're silly. That's a plural "you're" for everyone into this sort of stuff. That's the nicest way I can put it. Other words like ridiculous, misguided, loony, etc., come to mind too. You (still plural) do all this stuff to stand out and individualize yourselves but yet you do the same kinds of things that other people are doing to individualize themselves too. Where's the individuality in that?

And the whole idea of showing the world you (still plural) don't play by the rules is extremely dubious at best - if I'm interviewing two candidates, equally qualified, and one has crap inserted into his face and one doesn't, I'm far more likely to make the offer to the non-face-crap guy. Heck, probably even if the crap-face-guy is more qualified, as long as the other guys is actually qualified, the job is his. Why? I want to hire someone who plays by the rules. I don't need individuals in my corporate business structure, I need a team of employees. Maybe the crap-face-guy is an awesome employee and a great team player, but the crap in his face suggests otherwise and it's fairly impossible to tell from an interview, so I will play the odds. These aren't just my mindset, but it's formulated from years of work-place observations and from conversations with people who have crap inserted into their faces. And it's not a gut instinct, or an overreaction, or a baseless assumption; I have collated experiences and information and arrived at this conclusion based on data.

I'm also not alone in this. I've heard many other professionals say things like "can you believe that candidate showed up for an interview with that nose ring?" or other such similar comments.

I know there are always statistical anomalies. You (back to the singular now) might be the most stable, reliable person on the planet. Some other guy I hire instead of you might turn out to be a real flake despite having no body modifications. But all I can do is play the odds as I see them.

Sure, maybe you don't want the kind of software engineering job I could offer you. Maybe you don't care about what I think or what the world thinks. But I thought you might just want to be aware of the fact that much of this world will look at you as, at best, silly, and people will react to you with prejudice because of the crap in your face. Even open-minded people like myself.

What's more, I think you already knew this, to some degree, because you've repeatedly stated that you can conceal this piercing by removing the crap from your face and even using "right application of cosmetics" so you are obviously somewhat concerned with how this will make you look to the rest of us conformists.

(there you go, my attempt to comply with your request to talk you out of it)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
18-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Hmm, looks like a lot of folk don't seem down with what you want to do, man.

If you want to do it, then bloody well do it! Don't let these party poopers stop you.

To me, it seems like people are trying as hard to talk you out of it as they would to someone who wants to commit suicide.

I noticed that Aseptic Skeptic said they would rather hire a person without these things, even if you were more qualified. If someone genuinely thinks that way, then you don't need their job... I wouldn't want to work for someone so shallow.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
19-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Oh shit, I can already picture someone turning around, while his "hooks" get stuck to something and then pain, agony, screaming, scars, blood, hospital...

Evil_monster

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
19-12-2012, 04:41 PM
(18-12-2012 04:41 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  First, it's your body, do what you want. Pierce, mutilate, amputate (they call it "subtraction", right?), whatever. Your choice.

Remember I said that because in a minute you're going to think I'm a narrow-minded ignorant old prude, but I'm really not. I support your right to do as you wish with your body and I realize, rationally, that your doing so doesn't make you less of a person or less of anything, actually. I really do realize that.

That said, I find it all fairly silly. It seems to me that most of the people I know who have done stuff like this have admitted to me that they did it to stand out, to show the world that they are different, they don't have to play by the rules, they are individuals. Maybe that's not your thing, but your explanation about taboo and dark and chaos seems to align with that other stuff fairly well.

That's all well and good.

But you should know what the rest of the world thinks. Those of us who don't stand out, aren't different, do play by the rules, but yet are still individuals. Want to know what we think? I bet you don't, but you should at least consider it.

We mostly think you're silly. That's a plural "you're" for everyone into this sort of stuff. That's the nicest way I can put it. Other words like ridiculous, misguided, loony, etc., come to mind too. You (still plural) do all this stuff to stand out and individualize yourselves but yet you do the same kinds of things that other people are doing to individualize themselves too. Where's the individuality in that?

And the whole idea of showing the world you (still plural) don't play by the rules is extremely dubious at best - if I'm interviewing two candidates, equally qualified, and one has crap inserted into his face and one doesn't, I'm far more likely to make the offer to the non-face-crap guy. Heck, probably even if the crap-face-guy is more qualified, as long as the other guys is actually qualified, the job is his. Why? I want to hire someone who plays by the rules. I don't need individuals in my corporate business structure, I need a team of employees. Maybe the crap-face-guy is an awesome employee and a great team player, but the crap in his face suggests otherwise and it's fairly impossible to tell from an interview, so I will play the odds. These aren't just my mindset, but it's formulated from years of work-place observations and from conversations with people who have crap inserted into their faces. And it's not a gut instinct, or an overreaction, or a baseless assumption; I have collated experiences and information and arrived at this conclusion based on data.

I'm also not alone in this. I've heard many other professionals say things like "can you believe that candidate showed up for an interview with that nose ring?" or other such similar comments.

I know there are always statistical anomalies. You (back to the singular now) might be the most stable, reliable person on the planet. Some other guy I hire instead of you might turn out to be a real flake despite having no body modifications. But all I can do is play the odds as I see them.

Sure, maybe you don't want the kind of software engineering job I could offer you. Maybe you don't care about what I think or what the world thinks. But I thought you might just want to be aware of the fact that much of this world will look at you as, at best, silly, and people will react to you with prejudice because of the crap in your face. Even open-minded people like myself.

What's more, I think you already knew this, to some degree, because you've repeatedly stated that you can conceal this piercing by removing the crap from your face and even using "right application of cosmetics" so you are obviously somewhat concerned with how this will make you look to the rest of us conformists.

(there you go, my attempt to comply with your request to talk you out of it)
I'm good with it. Big Grin