List of Christian Atrocities
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2011, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2011 01:34 PM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: List of Christian Atrocities
Corporations are a horrible authority, and have committed atrocities equal to many of the worst you can imagine that were simply not noticed because they happened in another country and corporations control the media.

My issue with religious involvement though is that some religions (such as abrahamic religions) promote superiority. The idea of superiority being planted in everyone's minds increases their susceptibility to appeals to this claim. Goering's appeal would not work with an animistic society (yes I realize few animistic societies are large scale). Nationalism has the exact same issue of promoting superiority which is why countries like Japan where religion is less prevalent still commit atrocities like The Massacre of Nanjing.

That there are other forces which create the same desires does not make me less interested in removing the issue of religious superiority. It just means I feel both are unnecessary. People will do bad things no matter what, but if we remove the better reasons to cause evil, shame will aid in the lowering of crimes (shame has aided greatly in the lowering of crimes already as people nowadays feel much more importantly of the lives of others [thank you Kant]).

I'm not saying to remove religion completely or corporations, but to deflate them because with less power they will be more beneficial.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 02:44 PM
For an example of an early mega corporation, the East India Company:

I think that if people thought for themselves, instead of letting others do it for them, the world would be a better place.
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey, TAJD.

I agree. But the problem is that while humans can think for themselves, we don't live in a vacuum. The vast majority (save for a few extant aboriginal peoples in remote areas) live in power maximising hierarchies and we're stuck. Daniel Quinn considers the essential nature of Our society to be that of a prison. We are all trapped inside, enacting the stories of our peoples. Here's what he said about Germany in the 30s:
Daniel Quinn Wrote:It may seem incredible to you now that any people could have been captivated by such nonsense, but after nearly two decades of degradation and suffering following World War I, it had an almost overwhelming appeal to the people of Germany, and it was reinforced not only through the ordinary means of propaganda but by an intensive program of education of the young and reeducation of the old…

As I say, there were many in Germany who recognised this story [that of the Aryan race’s superiority and of the Reich] as rank mythology. They were nevertheless held captive by it simply because the vast majority around them thought it sounded wonderful and were willing to give their lives to make it a reality…

Even if you weren’t personally captivated by the story, you were a captive all the same, because the people around you made you a captive. You were like an animal being swept along in the middle of a stampede…

Even if you privately thought the whole thing was madness, you had to play your part, you had to take your place in the story. The only way to avoid that was to escape from Germany entirely.
(Quinn, Ishmael, p 35)

So I'm right with you, but the issue is the environment we find ourselves a part of. It is within that environment that selection occurs. And our environment is an international group of power maximising hierarchies.

Hey, Lilith.

Amen about corporations.

Goering's appeal may not work, but someone will figure out what does.

I agree, superiority is a powerful tool. It has the double edged ability to excite a nation and to dehumanise adversaries; probably the single most important thing to do if you want to kill them.

I see what you're saying about removing both. To me though, it's kind of like festering boils. They're horrible. I imagine that they can become badly infected. They need to be treated. But if they're caused by the Black Plague, while dealing with the boils is necessary, attacking the Black Plague is more so. Also, if you get rid of the Black Plague, you no longer have to worry about festering boils because there's nothing to cause them.

Personally, I don't think that people will do bad no matter what in the sense of we're all incorrigible sinning flawed douches. I believe in the duality of man and that we will do disruptive things because that's a part of our nature. But we have a system that, despite all the moralising to the contrary, REWARDS bad behaviour. There's all manner of reward just waiting for whoever does shitty things to other people. Someone is always going to take our system up on that offer.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

17-06-2011, 04:27 PM
People aren't inherently anti-society though certain individuals will be. As I've addressed elsewhere the majority of violence stems from the fact that we have needs which are not met. And superiority complexes are exactly the type of thing keeping needs from being met in the world. Those who seek to have all the power strip everything from those who seem weaker, forcing them into destructive behaviors for survival. I feel that the ideology of superiority is the main cause for the disparaging outcomes of the world. A good dose of humility is what this world needs.

The inherently anti-social people will continue to cause bad things to happen though, some humans just can't fit in with a social construct.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
31-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Umm......I do believe it was christianity that killed my ancestors, native americans in the whole of Americas.
I mean.....these people would have learned it from someone right?

JOSHUA 6:21-27 Under God’s direction, Joshua destroyed the entire city of Jericho…men, women, teenagers and infants…with the edge of the sword. The soldiers then pillaged the silver, gold, bronze and iron for God and burned the city.

Who knows, maybe it was under "god's direction" as well. So if they are influenced by mass murder from previous events.........I'm just saying.

Really anyone who claims they are killing under god.......who are they to be questioned.........why are these people being put down by a christian court for example in america?
All these men who ran these killing sprees in the past were as well only told one by one what to do.........and apparently no one doubted what is the difference????