List of religious forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2016, 04:31 PM
RE: List of religious forums
Nice list but it would be handy to have an indicator for how tolerant/extreme the various forums are. I have little use for forums where I can't politely express my view because I'll be banned and no use for forums where they'll break out the torches and pitchforks simply because I'm an atheist. As Aliza said, 'Why would I go there?' A liberal/tolerant forum might be interesting just to see how the perspectives differ.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
19-09-2016, 04:59 PM
(19-09-2016 04:31 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Nice list but it would be handy to have an indicator for how tolerant/extreme the various forums are. I have little use for forums where I can't politely express my view because I'll be banned and no use for forums where they'll break out the torches and pitchforks simply because I'm an atheist. As Aliza said, 'Why would I go there?' A liberal/tolerant forum might be interesting just to see how the perspectives differ.

Or whether or not these people even want to talk to us. Not everyone is interested in engaging in religious debates and not every religious forum exists for that purpose. Nor is every religious person even interested in answering questions or having open dialog. If the forum is open for that sort of thing, then have at it. But some of those forums seemed like they were meant for internal chat with like-minded people.

You can't just go barging into someone else's house like you own the place.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
19-09-2016, 05:46 PM
(19-09-2016 06:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 02:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Unless you were genuinely interested. Isn't there anything you might like to ask the people on those two 'Jewish by choice' forums? Maybe not, I don't remember if you were raised Jewish or not. Big Grin

Yeah, I was raised Jewish from birth.

Culturally? Didn't you say that you did not have a religious upbringing?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2016, 06:02 PM
(19-09-2016 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 06:32 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah, I was raised Jewish from birth.

Culturally? Didn't you say that you did not have a religious upbringing?

I was raised Reform.
21-09-2016, 07:11 AM
(19-09-2016 04:59 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 04:31 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Nice list but it would be handy to have an indicator for how tolerant/extreme the various forums are. I have little use for forums where I can't politely express my view because I'll be banned and no use for forums where they'll break out the torches and pitchforks simply because I'm an atheist. As Aliza said, 'Why would I go there?' A liberal/tolerant forum might be interesting just to see how the perspectives differ.

Or whether or not these people even want to talk to us. Not everyone is interested in engaging in religious debates and not every religious forum exists for that purpose. Nor is every religious person even interested in answering questions or having open dialog. If the forum is open for that sort of thing, then have at it. But some of those forums seemed like they were meant for internal chat with like-minded people.

You can't just go barging into someone else's house like you own the place.
Nothing forces anyone to post anywhere. Here's a list, go look at the threads/posts. See how they react. If they are fast with the ban hammer then you have 3 choices: (1) join and post under their rules, (2) join and see how fast you have your posting rights taken away in a blaze of fire or (3) ignore and look at another one.

If it is a public forum without invite only restrictions then in the day of search engines then a public forum does indeed have people barging in. If you don't want it that way, then restrict posting privileges. I belong to a private forum focused on a sports team I follow. I was invited in. You can see our conversations but you can't contribute unless the group wants you to.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley