Listened to God and not my heart

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Listened to God and not my heart
I don't usually watch much tv but happened to catch a part of Jeff Probst's show with guest Lisa Whelchel, the child actress of Facts of Life fame. Evidently, Ms Whelchel has recently divorced her husband of 24 yrs. In the interview, Probst asked Whelchel about her decision to marry those many years ago. She said "...we were friends and I thought if God was bigger than me and all these different situations are happening, I would rather trust God than trust my heart." Probst interrupted her saying "Hold on. So, let's just let that sit for a minute. You would rather trust God than your heart. That is a big dilemma because you're basically saying 'Trust God over my gut', right?" Whelchel "Yes."
http://www.jeffprobst.com/posts/2104_lis...index.html (at about 19:30)

Having come out of the Christian faith, this struck me, as I can identify and I wonder how many people have interpreted life's events as "signs from God"...misinterpreting these events and making some of life's biggest decisions based on this kind of thinking. It is quite sad. For me, as a young woman, I was committed to serving God and convinced that my faith and my committment would yield me a father's protection. Because of the belief system I was raised in, when my world was upended at age 21 with the death of my fiancee in a plane crash, it took me years to free myself from the belief that my sins had somehow wrought that tragedy in my life and his. That event was not the end of my faith but it was the beginning of the unraveling. Anyway, this conversation struck a chord in me and being a part of the Thinking Atheist community on FB, I thought I'd initiate a conversation on the forum. Thank you, Seth, Meg and others for all you do to facilitate the exercise of free thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2012, 07:18 AM
RE: Listened to God and not my heart
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Humans tend to seek patterns even when there is no pattern at all in the first place. When people say they place their faith in a deity, it's kind of analogous to placing faith in oneself. My hypothesis is that these people lack some kind of confidence, such that they have to place their faith on something that may not even exist. It's kind of as DLJ mentioned, a "comfort blanket" for them.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
30-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Well the way I see it is that people need to put their urge to understand into something real. Unfortunately, it is also an urge that can be manipulated and taken advantage of like in the case of Christian churches. Playing on the real urge to believe in something and understand our universe, "God" is there to take care of all that for us. We can "shut our minds off and trust God," which to me screams ignorance. People should be encouraged instead to question authority figures, explore and discover for themselves (just like humans have been doing since we could walk around this planet), and believe what they have experienced. "Blind faith" is not something I have and always had trouble understanding. Why would "God" create us with questions and expect us to believe unconditionally?

Man created God in his image
30-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The real plot twist? God IS the heart.

*DUN-DUN-DUN*

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I listened to God instead of my heart and ended up here. Hobo

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-10-2012, 09:48 AM
(30-10-2012 09:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I listened to God instead of my heart and ended up here. Hobo

More the fool, you.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
30-10-2012, 10:56 AM
My 83 year old aunt is like that and has been all her life. She never married because the suitors she had didn't meet with god's approval when she asked for a sign, and god didn't point anyone out to her whom she could go after.

She says he just didn't want her to get married so she had more time for him. He did however show her which job to take by blowing a newspaper with an ad towards her in the park. She took the job and kept it til retirement.

It's amazing how some people go through life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man