Lit that makes me think(about religion and atheism)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Lit that makes me think(about religion and atheism)
When I read 1984 I thought "that's religion."
The whole big brother thing. People blindly accepting what they are told. Thought crime.
Apparently it's about communism but I could help but to read religion into it.
I also like to tell creationists that I will not drag them kick in and screaming out of Plato's Cave.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Lit that makes me think(about religion and atheism)
(09-03-2014 10:07 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  When I read 1984 I thought "that's religion."
The whole big brother thing. People blindly accepting what they are told. Thought crime.
I also like to tell creationists that I will not drag them kick in and screaming out of Plato's Cave.

But people actually control one another with thoughts. They try not to do something that will make others think bad of them.
09-03-2014, 10:18 AM
(09-03-2014 10:14 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 10:07 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  When I read 1984 I thought "that's religion."

But people actually control one another with thoughts. They try not to do something that will make others think bad of them.
I missing you point...
09-03-2014, 10:19 AM
(09-03-2014 10:18 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 10:14 AM)donotwant Wrote:  But people actually control one another with thoughts. They try not to do something that will make others think bad of them.
I missing you point...

That is because as always his point is missing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-03-2014, 10:20 AM
(09-03-2014 10:19 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 10:18 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I missing you point...

That is because as always his point is missing.

You do not look smart. In fact you look stupid Wink
09-03-2014, 10:24 AM
(09-03-2014 10:18 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 10:14 AM)donotwant Wrote:  But people actually control one another with thoughts. They try not to do something that will make others think bad of them.
I missing you point...

My point is that emotions like guilt, shame, fear are thought control of a sort. Society is telling us what to feel guilty of and what not to feel guilty of and we control our own thoughts this way. If we think certain way we feel guilty or scared or whatnot.
Guilt, shame,fear are punishment for "unclean" thoughts. You can't avoid thought crime.
09-03-2014, 10:38 AM
(09-03-2014 10:24 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 10:18 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I missing you point...

My point is that emotions like guilt, shame, fear are thought control of a sort. Society is telling us what to feel guilty of and what not to feel guilty of and we control our own thoughts this way. If we think certain way we feel guilty or scared or whatnot.
Guilt, shame,fear are punishment for "unclean" thoughts. You can't avoid thought crime.
I personally don't feel this way about any of my thoughts. I only feel shame or guilt for my negative actions. But that might just be me . I dunno.
At any rate I think you are saying that aspects of 1984 remind you of our own society. If so that may be the case I suppose but I fail to see how it relates to literature being reminiscent of atheism vs religion.
09-03-2014, 10:42 AM
The Big Brother thing is not communism. It is new surveillance technology, widely adopted around the world, able to spy on ordinary people and also preserve evidences, reveal crimes.

In the early days without complex thinking like philosophy, when a human encountered danger that threatened life, fight or flight, either way would greatly relieve the anxiety. But when the human brain evolved to a level when a human clearly realized that he/she is going to die one day no matter what, which is quite unfavorable, of course, this anxiety stayed and was hard to get relieved. And that's the time when religions came to exist.

To deal with religions, face the inevitable death directly first.

Want something? Then do something.
09-03-2014, 10:49 AM
"In the early days without complex thinking like philosophy, when a human encountered danger that threatened life, fight or flight, either way would greatly relieve the anxiety."

How do you know what thought was like "in the early days"?

Sometimes those who know the least, know the most.
09-03-2014, 10:50 AM
(09-03-2014 10:42 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  The Big Brother thing is not communism. It is new surveillance technology, widely adopted around the world, able to spy on ordinary people and also preserve evidences, reveal crimes.

In the early days without complex thinking like philosophy, when a human encountered danger that threatened life, fight or flight, either way would greatly relieve the anxiety. But when the human brain evolved to a level when a human clearly realized that he/she is going to die one day no matter what, which is quite unfavorable, of course, this anxiety stayed and was hard to get relieved. And that's the time when religions came to exist.

To deal with religions, face the inevitable death directly first.

Yes communism was a poor choice of words. I was thinking authoritarianism. Certainly not the same thing but often related..