Literature discoveries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Literature discoveries
I've recently discovered Robert G. Ingersoll, Thomas Paine and Helen Hamilton Gardener, whose books have been released on Gutenberg.org as e-books.

I'm really enjoying their writings and I'm amazed at the strength of character they must have had to be so open in the USA with their thoughts and words against religion, Christianity and the Bible.

Thomas Paine suffered badly for his hatred of religion, even though he was a deist, that wasn't enough to satisfy the Christians. Only six people attended his funeral as he had been ostracized due to his ridicule of Christianity. That he was a Founding Father didn't appear to earn him any credit or respect from the religiots.

Helen Gardener, suffragist, free thinker and humanist and writer of Men, Women and Gods, produced some wonderful quotes, including one of my favourites:

"Of all human beings a woman should spurn the Bible first."

Robert Ingersoll, was nicknamed "The Great Agnostic."

"The doctrine of eternal punishment is in perfect harmony with the savagery of the men who made the orthodox creeds. It is in harmony with torture, with flaying alive, and with burnings. The men who burned their fellow-men for a moment, believed that God would burn his enemies forever."

Thank you, America for these 3 people at least! (Yes, I know, Thomas Paine was English!)

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Organon's post