Little bit of a rant, probably gonna get a little racist but we'll see

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 09:31 AM
RE: Little bit of a rant, probably gonna get a little racist but we'll see
(23-12-2014 09:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:15 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I would start with harsher punishment for crimes. No more deferred prosecution, no more probation for their 7th offense. If there are no repercussions for actions, the behavior continues. Especially for property crimes like theft, car prowls, graffiti.

Where do you propose they put all these people?
I would hope that the fear of going to prison for 5 years for breaking a car window and stealing 75 cents from someones center console would deter crime. Since they know they won't go to jail until they get over 5 offenses they just keep doing it. Perhaps the jails would be empty if there was a fear of going there long term. A 3 month sentence for armed robbery is not a deterrent to crime.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 09:45 AM
(23-12-2014 09:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:15 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I would start with harsher punishment for crimes. No more deferred prosecution, no more probation for their 7th offense. If there are no repercussions for actions, the behavior continues. Especially for property crimes like theft, car prowls, graffiti.

Where do you propose they put all these people?

Debtor's Prison because that worked so well in 19th century England don't you know?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
23-12-2014, 09:47 AM
(23-12-2014 09:31 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  Where do you propose they put all these people?
I would hope that the fear of going to prison for 5 years for breaking a car window and stealing 75 cents from someones center console would deter crime. Since they know they won't go to jail until they get over 5 offenses they just keep doing it. Perhaps the jails would be empty if there was a fear of going there long term. A 3 month sentence for armed robbery is not a deterrent to crime.

You mean like how the drug laws emptied prisons?
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
23-12-2014, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2014 12:18 PM by Full Circle.)
(23-12-2014 09:31 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  Where do you propose they put all these people?

How about trade school? A miscreant (not felon) gets a mandatory "sentence" of having to learn a trade.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-12-2014, 09:53 AM
(23-12-2014 09:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:31 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I would hope that the fear of going to prison for 5 years for breaking a car window and stealing 75 cents from someones center console would deter crime. Since they know they won't go to jail until they get over 5 offenses they just keep doing it. Perhaps the jails would be empty if there was a fear of going there long term. A 3 month sentence for armed robbery is not a deterrent to crime.

How about trade school? A miscreant (not fellon) gets a mandatory "sentence" of having to learn a trade.

Who pays for it, the government ?
23-12-2014, 10:03 AM
(23-12-2014 09:53 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  How about trade school? A miscreant (not fellon) gets a mandatory "sentence" of having to learn a trade.

Who pays for it, the government ?

Well, putting someone in jail costs money. After trade school a portion if the wages are garnished until paid off?

23-12-2014, 10:08 AM
(23-12-2014 10:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:53 AM)pablo Wrote:  Who pays for it, the government ?

Well, putting someone in jail costs money. After trade school a portion if the wages are garnished until paid off?

That might work, as long as they could find and keep the job.
Then there's a possibility of getting arrested for something more serious and getting put away anyway.
23-12-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't know how things work in New Zealand so I don't have much to say about it.
If someone in Canada gets welfare it's my tax dollars they receive. If we wiped out welfare would I pay less taxes? Not fucking likely so I don't give a rats ass if people are on welfare(I know a lot of people collecting EI that bitch about the welfare folks. The irony is not lost on me).
The Salvation Army is a religious organization so I don't give those people money. So I care even less about what they do with their money. If folks want to work the system let em but I don't know of anyone who gets rich on welfare. If some folks aren't driven to succeed in life thats not my problem. I work hard for my money and if those people want to sit on their arses for peanuts that's fine by me. I got mine...
23-12-2014, 12:25 PM
(23-12-2014 09:11 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 09:04 AM)pablo Wrote:  It's especially heart warming the way you've classified an entire specific group of people as "these welfare bums".
Nice touch. No
...nice clothes and have a BMW in the parking lot. The system is broken.

I had some good friends, they had their life savings wiped out and later had a sick child who suffered from horrible allergies. They sold their home -- for waaaay less than it was worth and had to take out a loan to cover the rest, moved into an apartment. They sold off most things they owned trying to get back on their feet.

Yes they had nice clothes, a Mercedes they owned outright that was 12 years old; their only car because they sold the other one that was financed and used that money to pay off the lender. They were on foodstamps -- it just about killed him to apply. It was used to buy the foods their kid could tolerate (back in the days before all the gluten/wheat free stuff they have today was widely available). This was before they had the debit type cards, so everyone knew you were on foodstamps.

The looks they used to get were horrible. People at grocery stores would actually say things, because she was nicely dressed. Seeing her get into her car?! Holy crap.

Instant judgement.

How much of your personal possessions should you be forced to sell before you're deemed worthy to be on assistance?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-12-2014, 12:27 PM
(23-12-2014 10:08 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 10:03 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Well, putting someone in jail costs money. After trade school a portion if the wages are garnished until paid off?

That might work, as long as they could find and keep the job.
Then there's a possibility of getting arrested for something more serious and getting put away anyway.

I am convinced that the best way of raising all of us is through education, that can mean a PhD or being able to run the plumbing in a house (not meant as a dis to plumbers, I’ve been in construction most of my life).

IMO once a person is invested in society the recidivism diminishes.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post