Little brother needs sources for anti-theism paper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Little brother needs sources for anti-theism paper
Hey all! My younger brother is a junior in high school and he has a semester long assignment called an "area of inquiry" paper. He has chosen to wrote his on how the existence of organized religion and fear of hell are, by and large, bad for our society. He lives in a rural, conservative, mostly Christian town in Vermont, so he is facing some adversary on his topic choice. But he has refused to be silenced. As such, he talked with me earlier about finding as many solid sources as he can. He wants to hit it out of the park with this paper. He is pretty new to Atheism and most of his exposure to the topic has been podcasts and YouTube videos. He has asked me for help in finding good sources.

I have already pointed him toward Hitchens, but that is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. (my reasons for deconverting were less rooted in the idea that religion is bad and more rooted in the idea that it is illogical.)

Has anyone read any other books on this topic? Are their any potential scholarly sources? Thanks for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: Little brother needs sources for anti-theism paper
AronRa in YouTube.
Richard Dawkins
Neil Degrasse

Just google this stuff, there's plenty of material on all sorts of subjects

Oh and, I like this:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm

Atir aissom atir imon
24-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Dawkins is a rather outspoken one, even if his name is polarizing. Carl Sagan had some good things to say as well. Sam Harris says some fairly scathing things and while I'm not a fan of everything Bertrand Russell said his book Why I Am Not a Christian is very good and very short and easy to read.
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
24-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Maybe he can look at theories on social control. All major religions serve as agents of societal control: "the opiate of the masses" so to speak, quote by Karl Marx.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
24-01-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.markfulton.org/the-psychologi...ristianity
http://www.markfulton.org/christianity-a...al-society

The guy is brilliant, and so modest.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
24-01-2014, 10:43 PM
David Mills' Atheist Universe, Chapter 8, The Myth of Hell. You can probably find a free PDF of the book online.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
24-01-2014, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2014 11:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The Bible. Tongue
Seriously, we have a resource library.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ry?page=15

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
25-01-2014, 12:41 AM
To give the paper a bit of historical depth, Robert Ingersoll would be a nice addition, as would some Mark Twain quotes and the Epicurean paradox.
25-01-2014, 01:00 AM
To 'knock it out of the park', please encourage him to rehearse the arguments against his position.

e.g. Hell is good for society because it helps to impose discipline on otherwise unruly yoofs etc.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-01-2014, 01:24 AM
(24-01-2014 09:03 PM)SheilaMercon Wrote:  He lives in a rural, conservative, mostly Christian town in Vermont, so he is facing some adversary on his topic choice. But he has refused to be silenced.

...he needs a lesson in futility. He's going to get a bad grade on this, no matter how much effort he puts into it, and no-one will ever read it but him and his teacher.

...so don't waste a bunch of time trying to help him. This is one of those life lessons he needs to learn on his own.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post