Little brother needs sources for anti-theism paper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2014, 01:54 AM
RE: Little brother needs sources for anti-theism paper
'SheilaMercon'

I would go for the scholarly sources and avoid the more well known "outspoken" sources which might be usually interpreted as having antagonistic agenda's (which they do obviously do for good reasons ! ) - but this might detract from the strength of the argument. WHat you need to a powerful philosophical well reasoned & robust case and not to be dismissed as some "follower of infidels like Richard Dawkins" response. Christopher Hitchens is a perfect example of someone easy to dismiss by Christian fundamentalists as "an atheist fundamentalist" (He isn't but you must avoid that critique - it just becomes ad hominem fallacy = distracting)
In any case Christopher Hitchens arguments when on paper are not very convincing and too "populist" - its really his live delivery & humour which kicks ass.

Consider:
Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment Phil Zuckerman
An excellent start exploring how Denmark & Sweden are the least religious nations and even those religious have dampened down beliefs in Hell. These countries have the highest standards of living via virtually every measure you can think of - the book mainly focuses on these - were the author lived. Then less religious countries like Holland, UK, New Zealand, Australia etc are next on the scale.
The most religious countries end up the worst on multiple measures of well being.
Book is well referenced.

Also deals with the anticipated critiques WHICH YOU MUST NIP IN THE BUD !!!I cannot emphasize this enough !!!!!!!
i.e "well stalin, pol pot, N'Korea etc etc are atheist and look at them....."
Firstly imposing atheism by military or persecution force does not create a democratic rational secular society but forces religion underground in secret & more fundamentalism

Secondly - atheism per se is just lacking belief in God and has little to do with forming a rational society or political system. Stalins communism is irrational and very religious like. Pol Pots economic plan is UTTERLY irrational (you don't have to be a political philosopher to work this out !!!). N.Korea is basically led like a religious ancestor worship family cult, politically & economically highly irrational - and this can be argued easily.

Thirdly - education and free competition & respect for science, rational deliberation of ideas in places like Denmark, Sweden & Holland lead to profound intellectual and healthy emotional outcomes - keeping community & moral life flourishing and protecting individual rights.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post
25-01-2014, 02:06 AM
(25-01-2014 01:54 AM)Baruch Wrote:  'SheilaMercon'

I would go for the scholarly sources and avoid the more well known "outspoken" sources which might be usually interpreted as having antagonistic agenda's (which they do obviously do for good reasons ! ) - but this might detract from the strength of the argument. WHat you need to a powerful philosophical well reasoned & robust case and not to be dismissed as some "follower of infidels like Richard Dawkins" response. Christopher Hitchens is a perfect example of someone easy to dismiss by Christian fundamentalists as "an atheist fundamentalist" (He isn't but you must avoid that critique - it just becomes ad hominem fallacy = distracting)
In any case Christopher Hitchens arguments when on paper are not very convincing and too "populist" - its really his live delivery & humour which kicks ass.

Consider:
Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment Phil Zuckerman
An excellent start exploring how Denmark & Sweden are the least religious nations and even those religious have dampened down beliefs in Hell. These countries have the highest standards of living via virtually every measure you can think of - the book mainly focuses on these - were the author lived. Then less religious countries like Holland, UK, New Zealand, Australia etc are next on the scale.
The most religious countries end up the worst on multiple measures of well being.
Book is well referenced.

Also deals with the anticipated critiques WHICH YOU MUST NIP IN THE BUD !!!I cannot emphasize this enough !!!!!!!
i.e "well stalin, pol pot, N'Korea etc etc are atheist and look at them....."
Firstly imposing atheism by military or persecution force does not create a democratic rational secular society but forces religion underground in secret & more fundamentalism

Secondly - atheism per se is just lacking belief in God and has little to do with forming a rational society or political system. Stalins communism is irrational and very religious like. Pol Pots economic plan is UTTERLY irrational (you don't have to be a political philosopher to work this out !!!). N.Korea is basically led like a religious ancestor worship family cult, politically & economically highly irrational - and this can be argued easily.

Thirdly - education and free competition & respect for science, rational deliberation of ideas in places like Denmark, Sweden & Holland lead to profound intellectual and healthy emotional outcomes - keeping community & moral life flourishing and protecting individual rights.

I was going to give you a long book list & scholarly articles and then started righting post above ! - maybe that's all that is required.

Can argue that influencing moral behaviour through violence is counter productive and leads to more violence i.e can you get more violent & unjust than hell forever ???
Being moral just because of a reward of heaven or threats of punishment is a poor foundation for genuine moral behaviour & compassion to others. If you believe a family member is going to burn in hell forever also leads to fundamentalism - people start punishing & persecuting others to "save them from hell" with violence & abuse. Hard to reference this - do we really know the extend of such abuse ? Historically such warped distorted logic justified Christian persecutions of non Christians, especially jews and also other Christian denominations killing millions.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
25-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Watch the movie Religulous with Bill Mayer. I think it's on Netflix

Atir aissom atir imon
25-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I think Bertrand Russell is a good ref. His book / pamphlet "Why I am not a Christian" is good but not condemnatory which is... a good approach when submitting to a religious teacher Tongue

Also gotta plug old Thomas Paine's Age of Reason. Bit long and antiquated style of prose but by golly that boy can write, and his arguments presented while from a deist perspective are quite often moral ones along the lines of 'a truly great deity wouldn't be so *bloody* petty' but said with more grace and tact. Available free on the internet last I looked Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Hitchens. His whole campaign was "anti-theism". Also, just read the contradictions in the bible. Also, note the 41,000 different sects of Christianity. WATCH debates with people such as Hitchens, and Dawkins. Listen to their claims, the rebuttals to their claims, and the rebuttal to the rebuttal to their claims!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user