Little kids cursing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 05:01 PM
RE: Little kids cursing
(30-04-2015 11:35 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  My take on it is this. The absolute worst, most hurtful thing anyone has ever said to me was, "You've ruined our reputation in the community." Not a single curse word in there, and yet it was the worst thing that's ever been said to me.

My oldest is soon to be 14 and my youngest just turned 10. I know the oldest one uses swear words and occasionally the youngest will use one, too. I've told them that words, whether they are in this list of words that have been deemed as "bad" or not, can be powerful - in both good ways and bad ways. You can use a word that's on this list as a means of camaraderie (of building someone up) or as a way of tearing someone down. Same as you can non-taboo words. So I don't have a problem with them using them. The words themselves do not hold any power, imo. It's the way you use them that matters.

I've told them that if they use cuss words at school or around people, say, my parents' age, they're likely to get in trouble or at the very least, get a look of disapproval. So it's best to not use them in those contexts. There are areas and situations where it's okay and areas where it's not.

Now, it's *awkward* for me to hear them slip up and cuss around me (because they typically won't, and will catch themselves) but that's all. It's just awkward.

Anyway, just my two cents. This sort of thing is more or less a non-issue for me as a parent. I don't care what words they use. I care how they use them. If they call another kid "stupid" or "idiot" or whatever else, that's a problem. I expect them to respect others' feelings. If, however, say my daughter is joking with a girlfriend and calls her a bitch, I'm not gonna fuss.

Again, it's all in how you use the words.

Absolutely love this, EA, very well said.

On a side note my littlest is 2 1/2 and she has taken a liking to saying "god damn it", she even uses it in the right context. I personally think it's adorable, and there's always the added benefit of laughing inwardly at the shocked faces strangers make.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
30-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
30-04-2015, 05:29 PM

This explains how I feel about "bad" words!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
30-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Swearing, in general, is just fine with me. Carlin and Lewis Black and a countless number of other comedians have all pretty much said the same thing, but the fact is that "swear words" are just words invented for the sole purpose of adding emphasis or "color" to our speech in order to further illustrate whatever point we're trying to make. So basically...they're just like all the other words out there. The only difference is that society has decided for various (but equally vacuous) reasons that these particular words are "bad" and shouldn't be spoken by people of certain ages; in the presence of certain individuals; or outside of very specific contexts.

Personally, I think it's stupid as fuck, and it annoys me to absolutely no end when people get offended by profanity. Not just annoyed that they've voiced their offense; I'm actually angered by the fact that they're offended. They're words, people. Fucking hell.

...Anyway, I digress. The point being: I'm refreshed when I hear kids swear. It reminds me that they, too, recognize that these are just words and can be used effectively to convey certain emotions. They also recognize - as I do - that society frowns on these objectively innocuous words for stupid reasons, so they've gotta wait until they're alone with their friends to relax and enjoy the full, beautiful spectrum of human speech the way it's meant to be used: freely.

I swear like a sailor, my girlfriend swears like a sailor, and her two kids (ages 3 and 6) swear only occasionally...within the confines of the home because society won't let them swear elsewhere. And we're all doing just fine. So...there's that.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2015, 11:59 PM
I have no fucking idea why my godamn kids are fucking cursing all the time!
Little shits!
01-05-2015, 06:44 AM
stupid, dumb, & idiot are considered curse words at my kids school.

I tend to use colorful language, my 9 year old has said she doesnt like it when I talk like that. Our neighbor boy, age 6, was saying "aw shit!" quite a bit while playing a video game. We all gave him a second look. His Mom calmly told him to stop, watch his language. My 9 year old thought it was funny.

My 9 year old confuses me....not just on this topic, I think she just wants to give me a hard time, fucking kids. Dodgy

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
01-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Little kids cursing
It's another reason I can add to my 'why I'm not a christian' list. They don't go in for swearing much do they and it would drive me nuts to bite my tongue when a "go fuck yourself" is the only appropriate response.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2015, 11:58 AM
(30-04-2015 05:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Lol. Laugh out load I remember that fudge scene from Christmas Story. That and the sexy leg lamp.

My parents didn't want me cussing when I was a kid until I got a job and started paying taxes then they told me I could curse till the air was blue, all day long if I wanted. That seemed to be their standards for using curse words, working a job. Until that day arrived I needed to learn more interesting words, like "prestidigitation", cause it was fun to say. Or "stoic" or the great word used by Edgar Allan Poe..."tintinnabulation" in his poem The Bells.

HEAR the sledges with the bells --
Silver bells !
What a world of merriment their melody foretells !
How they tinkle, tinkle, tinkle,
In the icy air of night !
While the stars that oversprinkle
All the heavens, seem to twinkle
With a crystalline delight ;
Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells
From the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells --
From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells.

I had funny parents. I actually memorized Edgar Allan Poe poems when I was a kid because of all the interesting words.

I think I just took this thread in a different direction. Sorry.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-05-2015, 12:11 PM
(30-04-2015 10:28 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Depends on the age of the kid, and the situation. My son is 4. About the worst phrase in his vocabulary is "damn it" which I'm more or less okay with if he hurts himself or something. Like any 4-year-old boy though, he's obsessed... OBSESSED with farts and butts and he'll talk about these subjects with pretty much anyone at any time. My wife and I try to explain that these aren't bad words in and of themselves, but that it's not very polite to talk about butts and farts in public or at the dinner table, etc.

My son is 4, and I about fell out of my chair laughing because it's very nearly the same in my situation.

I mean, shit, the kid does not stop saying the words "butthole, fart, pee pee".
01-05-2015, 01:09 PM
This all reminds me of a joke. A mother walks into a diner with her two young children, Jimmy and Billy, and they all sit down. The waitress comes over to take their order and asks little Jimmy what he would like. "Gimme a goddamn cheeseburger." The mother slaps Jimmy across the mouth so hard he falls out of his chair. The waitress is a bit shocked, but she turns and asks little Billy what he would like. "Well, it sure as hell ain't gonna be a goddamn cheeseburger!"
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post