Little project: need helpers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Little project: need helpers
I've bitten off more than you can chew and wondered whether anyone is interested in helping out for a good cause.

I'm putting together a more detailed map of religions throughout history, with a snapshot every 50 or 100 years from 4000 BC until now. The whole thing will be as historically accurate as practical and show the hundreds of religions. Certain conventions and assumptions will have to be applied but I think it's doable.

Attached is a part-finished snapshot for 1000 BC. I have had to make the image smaller to attach it here - the raw file is 4000 pixels wide.

If anyone knows a lot about history and / or is keen to help out and see it through, please let me know. I don't think I can do this on my own without cutting so many corners as to lose the impact of the end result.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes code's post
31-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Star RE: Little project: need helpers
I'm commenting because I attempted something similar. It was purely as a hobby, for personal enjoyment. A map is aesthetically pleasing, but might not be appropriate...

What I tried was to create a Tree diagram of the various branching of Christianity over history, along a timeline. I got somewhere between 50-80 variations of Christianity. What it included was:
a. Timeline.
b. a tree that branched at the appropriate time period.
c. name of the religion (the variant)
d. description of the religion.

I think I'd like to do this again. Start with Christianity again, and then branch out to the other religions. So we get to see how Christianity and Islamic religions branched from Jewish variations, and were those Jewish variations branched from.
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Little project: need helpers
interesting, yeah I thought about trees, and using Graphviz to illustrate them.

Christianity is interesting, especially the less well known bits like Gnostics, Salomonid empire, Anabaptists, Taiping etc. But for me a Christianity-centric view overlooks the mass of other religions that have and do exist. In my objective and atheist viewpoint, the big religions that dominate today are no more historically valid than the many religions that they displaced. How many people know about Jainism, Akan religion, Noshinto, Chinese Folk religion etc? I like to think that if people had a broader historical perspective it could help them escape the idea that the bible is somehow historically special. Not saying it well but hopefully you get what I mean.

It seems to me that the religion you are born into is not just an accident of geography, it's an accident of time. I consider myself incredibly lucky that I was born when and where I was. Not just because my life is easy compared to many others, but because I can freely be an atheist without facing real persecution.

Maybe there's common ground and we can cooperate?
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Here you go. Courtesy of MapsOfWar.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Here is one of my favorite renderings of this kind of stuff:

http://bobbysbrane.com/animation-fun/ani...sBrane.mp4
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
(01-11-2012 07:51 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Here is one of my favorite renderings of this kind of stuff:

http://bobbysbrane.com/animation-fun/ani...sBrane.mp4

"The Origin Of Specious". Fucking brilliant. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I know a lot of about the religious history of western culture, an I have books to refer back to where I have forgotten. If you need information about that, I can help. You can probably find the information online, but I could probably give you more detail if you'd like. My biggest blind spot is probably the British Isles before Christianization though I do have some information.

02-11-2012, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 05:19 PM by code.)
(01-11-2012 05:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Here you go. Courtesy of MapsOfWar.

Great video, very professionally done. I wish it covered more religions though.

I had a brainwave. Using Open Office Calc, which is like Excel but free and not as good, I've created a pixel world map, where each pixel is a cell on the spreadsheet. See attachment. I'll create a master table that has every cell down one side and year across the top, where you can put the dominant religion. Then using formula and probably VBA or whatever coding Calc allows, it'll color the cells whatever religion is needed for a selected year.

Unfortunately there are 5600 cells on the map and 92 year markers, so 515k data points. Fortunately it's like Excel so cut and paste works.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes code's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Evolution school project trogit 5 217 16-05-2014 09:00 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Please Help - Research Project PleaseJesus 84 2,425 25-12-2013 10:43 AM
Last Post: Ameron1963
  My latest project Reltzik 14 359 15-10-2013 10:47 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Ideas for Pro-Atheism Social/Web Project, Anyone? ridethespiral 7 341 07-06-2013 02:46 PM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Had an idea (huge project, concerns TTA members) kingschosen 16 884 04-05-2012 11:35 AM
Last Post: Humakt
  Help with a personal project of mine... wellspringofderision 5 343 06-04-2012 07:22 PM
Last Post: wellspringofderision
  The Koran Project Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 6 436 02-04-2012 07:39 AM
Last Post: Filox