Poll: Should I come out to my friends and family?
Yes, you deserve to live your life unafraid.
No, it is none of their business.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Living a Double Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2015, 05:56 AM
RE: Living a Double Life
(28-07-2015 05:49 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've always suspected that the "devout" believe atheism to be contagious...

They know it is. Seeing someone living free and happy without surrounding themselves with bullshit would *kill* church attendance. That's why they go out of their way to try and force people to keep it hidden.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
29-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Living a Double Life
I think you'll realize it's not as big deal as you think it is, though I understand you're hesitation. No reason you can't be friends with religious people. Just be polite and nice. It's hard to not to like nice people. Just be honest would be my advice, and say what you feel like saying. In theory being an atheist or theist shouldn't matter. It's your character that matters. I seem to take longer to formulate my thoughts, so if any questions come up that ur not sure how to answer, don't jump the gun. Saying idk is a respectable thing to say. I also don't go out of my way to say I'm an atheist, just like I don't go out of my way to say I'm a non-tennis player. Idk I'm just rambling. Let us know what happens if anything comes up. It's an interesting story.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
30-07-2015, 07:31 AM
It seems to me that you are relatively new in MO and haven't yet developed a network of friends locally whether at work or elsewhere and that this more than anything is getting to you because you would like to make some friends at work, but feel inhibited by fear of rejection for your atheism. Have you thought as a stepping stone of going to a local free thinker group or at least a UU church (they are secular humanists) as way to develop some friendships there?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
04-08-2015, 05:56 AM
I am mixed about your situation. I can only compare it to my own experience (which I suppose is what you want. Smile )

There are some people with whom it's my nature to be very open and intimate. Close friends and I have conversations about religion all the time. With them, I have no problem being "out", because I know I can rely on their respect.

But I am very introverted. I'm an INFJ, after all. I am not open to everyone, but if it comes up, I have no qualms about stating my beliefs (or lack thereof).

There is a very zealous evangelical Christian demographic at my school, and I would probably not be open about them, just because I don't really want to get yelled at about bible verses and the like.

I'm not going to make facebook posts announcing my "Credo", but I'm also not going to pretend to be something else. Just like with my being gay. Not everyone needs to know everything about me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be intimidated into silence.