Living in a heavily Christian household when you have no belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 07:47 AM
RE: Living in a heavily Christian household when you have no belief
Quote:Sorry, but when it comes to “destiny,” atheists have nothing to say. Because if atheism is true, there is no destiny—just the fight for survival. Destiny, is the province of God. If our friend wants a destiny, he’s going to have to throw his atheism in the rubbish bin. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a banana to eat.

n., pl., -nies.

1. The inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person or thing is destined; one's lot.
  2. A predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control: "Marriage and hanging go by destiny" (Robert Burton).
  3. The power or agency thought to predetermine events: Destiny brought them together.

I see no God there.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2012, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 01:12 PM by Zangash.)
(13-04-2012 12:16 AM)Egor Wrote:  Sorry, but when it comes to “destiny,” atheists have nothing to say. Because if atheism is true, there is no destiny—just the fight for survival. Destiny, is the province of God. If our friend wants a destiny, he’s going to have to throw his atheism in the rubbish bin. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a banana to eat.

…that was good. Those evolutionists might have a point.

Destiny in our terms doesn't mean the same thing as it does for those brainwashed into thinking an invisible man in the sky has your life planned out for you.

Quote:Of course, if Dom is going to act like your private physician, then I guess you have a right to ask that question. But in reality, Dom can’t help you. I think that might have been what you were getting at. I can’t help but hope so because sarcastic wit is the hallmark of a good writer.

Why wouldn't Dom be able to help me? He clearly knows what he's talking about and has more experience than me.

Quote:I’m offering this to you, and you don’t have to accept, but I had another successful blog where I reviewed novels and memoirs. I’m also a small time publisher, and I’ve written a novel that of the few who have actually read it, I’m told, it’s pretty good. I had a dream last night that one of the book stores I sold to wanted more copies—that was a nice dream. Weeping But I digress.

If you want, I will read your entire story and give you a critical analysis and an edit. But in exchange, you can’t blaspheme God to me or your mom, and you have to become my friend on Facebook and follow me on twitter. I’ll have to trust you about the mom thing, but in here you can be a staunch atheist if you like, but you have to be old-school about it. None of this neo-atheist, Richard Dawkins nonsense. You have to be like Nietzsche or Bertrand Russell. I’m not sure how to enforce that contract, but it’s a gentleman’s agreement. For that, I will give you a professional opinion. Granted, it’s currently an unsuccessful professional opinion, but Black Spirit Publishing is a legit company—and I’m the publisher.

Your move, Chief.

As tempting as that is, I'll have to decline. Blaspheming God is a new hobby I've grown rather fond of. Besides, worst case scenario is I stay at home for another year and a half and transfer to an out of state University for my major.

Quote: You’re a logical thinker, but you’re a competitive football player. I never realized that before. That means, you really don’t have any physical limitations; far from it. You actually have a greater physical capacity than most human beings. The algebra isn’t working here. Because I’m starting to think I would take Crone’s disease in order to be 18 and super fit. Maybe not. But I’m starting to think that way. Yes, there was pain, but now…?

I’m not saying you don’t have a hard life, but seriously, logically, how do you think other people’s lives go?

I do have physical limitations, actually. I just learned over the years to deal with them, as they are a part of life. Your idea that having Crone's would suddenly make you "18 and super fit" is also flawed, as everyone was 18 at some point, and the only reason not to be in good enough shape to compete is a lack of want to and willpower. Also, millions of players just in my state alone (My area is considered the "Select soccer hotspot") don't have Crone's and are in far better shape than I am. Why not wish to be them?

(13-04-2012 07:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yes Egor, I can help with that. I have been living with Ulcerative Colitis for 35 years. It is like Crohns in many ways, but a lot milder. After all these years, I think I have an understanding of the issue. Stop attacking what you don't understand. Yes he plays soccer. That does in no way mean he is physically stable. It means he is in remission, and if he has loose stools he is not in complete remission either. If you have Crohns, you have Crohns. There is no cure, only managing it. Now study up on it or quit talking about it.

The logic in those two paragraphs of his is just... ugh.

Quote:Zangash, introduce a fiber supplemet VERY SLOWLY. When you reach some success, stick with that level. Ignore the instructions of how much you are supposed to take, find your own level and start with tiny amounts. If you have a flare up, discontinue right away, it can aggravate issues. But while you are in remission, it can improve your quality of life a lot. Psyllium husk is best, look at ingredients and that's what you want to see.

Alright, I'll try that out. Isn't that kinda stuff expensive though?

Quote:Other things to do are to avoid big meals and eat small amounts all day, try some cheese and chocolate (also introduce slowly and find the right spot for you, too much and you have the opposite issue and that is more dangerous). Eating fish and taking fish oil supplements can help stave off flare ups. Chew everything carefully.Since you are dealing with processing food, what you eat and how you eat it becomes very important and the medical community generally doesn't pay enough attention to it. They are also cautious about making recommendations here because too much of something can cause problems and people tend to think if a little is good, more is better. Not so. For you, the least possible amount that yields results is best.

It makes me really sad to see fish is a suggestion... When I eat fish, I can't keep it down. Period. I don't know why I only vomit when I eat fish- I know I'm not allergic.

I'll do the smaller meals, though. That might actually be more convenient for me, too, since I hate sitting still for too long on one thing anyways.

You are growing out of the worst danger zone now, year after year flare ups will become less and less likely until much later in life. By then you should have learned how to manage yourself. There is no golden rule for everyone, you have to find your own balance.

Quote:Re. your atheism and life plan - no one here can feel the way you feel, we all just have our own experiences to draw from. I think your plans are good, and to have a back up I would look at universities I like and what types of stipends they have. I think you are doing fine.

I have looked at what Universities I'll get into if my plans all fail. Granted, I'll be at my parent's house for a bit longer, but maybe there's a way out of that, too. When I was in Jr. High my sister went to a community college and was able to live in a small apartment while working for Wal-Mart. How much do they pay their 19-20 year old workers? If you know. I would ask my sister myself, but she's looong gone.

Sorry for the late as hell reply. I'm heavily monitored and being on a site called The Thinking Atheist would have me living under a bridge.
17-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Fiber supplements are pretty inexpensive. Go to Walmart and pick some up - you can get the generic metamucil. And pick up some fish oil capsules in the supplement section.

All fish are not equal - they can taste a lot different from each other. Also, you may grow out of aversion to fish so it's good to check again periodically. Have you tried Salmon? Salmon and the canned sardines (make a sandwich) carry the most bang for the buck.

I have no idea what walmart pays - probably minmum wage.

When I put mself through junior college (long time ago) I did it by tutoring. If you have good grades, the college tself may hire you part time as tutor and substitute teacher. All worth checking out...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Your parents: "We can't let an Atheist live in our home, but we are required to let you stay until you graduate."

Me: "How Christian of you."

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]